Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,801

0 members and 2,801 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Do all BPs fast?

This may just be wishful thinking on my part, but I was wondering if anyone has ever had an adult BP (800g+) that doesn't fast? If so, how did you feed and house the snake to achieve this?

My boy is still growing and a voracious eater but I know he'll eventually slow down and possibly fast for months. I was wondering if there are any hacks or a more optimal way to raise BPs to avoid fasts? Not sure if such a thing is possible but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depends on the animal and what you consider a fast, but generally yes they will at some point or another, it can be something short 1 month or so or something much longer 6+ months.

Ways to avoid fast is proper husbandry, limited stress and smaller preys.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (12-11-2019)

Thanks

Re: Do all BPs fast?

Also its important to remember that fasting is not necessarily bad. Sure if it goes on for longer than a few weeks it might be your environment or stress, but if it is just a few weeks (personally the longest one of mine has gone is 4 weeks), and they are not losing a considerable amount of weight then it may just be them regulating their own diet.
    Constant Learner

Ball Pythons 2.7:

Nagini 0.1 Normal
    Bananas 0.1 Albino Normal
    Lucy 0.1 BEL Super Mojave
    Slice 0.1 Pied Normal
    Mimosa 0.1 Pastel Cinnamon Champagne
    Eos 0.1 Super Enchi Champange
    Sabrina 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost 66% Het Pied
    Leopold 1.0 Leopard Phantom
    Drogo 1.0 Super Cinnamon Banana

Other Pets:
    Reine 0.1 French Bulldog
    Hagrid 1.0 English Bulldog
    Mocha 0.1 Long haired Doxie
    Reddish 0.1 Guinea Pig

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kira8p For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (12-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I’ve had one that fasted 15 months and another that went 9 months !!

That said I had a Pastel a few years ago that NEVER , EVER refused a feed !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (12-11-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I feed on the conservative side and very rarely do my BPs refuse a meal. Since mine are both adults I let them dictate how often I feed. I observe their behavior and if I see "hunting behavior" on consecutive nights I offer on night three. So far, zero refusals using this technique.

Of my two BPs, one came to me as an adult less than a year ago, but no strikes from him so far.

My other I got as a juvenile and he took about 3 months off his first winter with me. Since then he eats like a champ.

I'm a firm believer that many BPs, and snakes in general, are over fed in captivity. Hence calling my feeding style "conservative". But my animals are all healthy and maintain great weights and body structures. They're solid muscle with no fat, feeding "conservatively".

In my experience, smaller meals lead to less food strikes.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (12-17-2019),GoingPostal (12-11-2019),Luvyna (12-11-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I feed on the conservative side and very rarely do my BPs refuse a meal. Since mine are both adults I let them dictate how often I feed. I observe their behavior and if I see "hunting behavior" on consecutive nights I offer on night three. So far, zero refusals using this technique.

Of my two BPs, one came to me as an adult less than a year ago, but no strikes from him so far.

My other I got as a juvenile and he took about 3 months off his first winter with me. Since then he eats like a champ.

I'm a firm believer that many BPs, and snakes in general, are over fed in captivity. Hence calling my feeding style "conservative". But my animals are all healthy and maintain great weights and body structures. They're solid muscle with no fat, feeding "conservatively".

Yes .. some of my Royals will eat every time but in 10 to 14 day intervals

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-11-2019)

Thanks

Thanks for the responses! Sounds like the key is proper husbandry and not overfeeding. It's also heartening to hear that amazingly there do seem to be some BPs out there that don't really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kira8p View Post
    Also its important to remember that fasting is not necessarily bad. Sure if it goes on for longer than a few weeks it might be your environment or stress, but if it is just a few weeks (personally the longest one of mine has gone is 4 weeks), and they are not losing a considerable amount of weight then it may just be them regulating their own diet.
    4 weeks actually isn't bad and sounds like a regular interval to go without food for a snake, it's the strikes that last months that I dread. Good to hear that your BPs are good eaters

I share the belief that many captive snakes are overfed, especially since they also probably don't get as much exercise as wild snakes. Your method of feeding sounds pretty good, I will likely adopt something similar when my BP is fully grown.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Do all BPs fast?

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Thanks for the responses! Sounds like the key is proper husbandry and not overfeeding. It's also heartening to hear that amazingly there do seem to be some BPs out there that don't really fast.

4 weeks actually isn't bad and sounds like a regular interval to go without food for a snake, it's the strikes that last months that I dread. Good to hear that your BPs are good eaters

I share the belief that many captive snakes are overfed, especially since they also probably don't get as much exercise as wild snakes. Your method of feeding sounds pretty good, I will likely adopt something similar when my BP is fully grown.
    I’m not sure it is husbandry as I had a pair of identical Albino Royals in identical adjacent viv setups ..

One ate every 10 days without fail the other went 9 months without eating a thing ?!!

Both eat everytime these days ..

The one that fasted 9 months recently produced five stunning babies !!

Last edited by Zincubus; 12-11-2019 at 02:49 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-11-2019),Luvyna (12-16-2019),richardhind1972 (12-11-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I’m not sure it is husbandry as I had a pair of identical Albino Royals in identical adjacent viv setups ..

One ate every 10 days without fail the other went 9 months without eating a thing ?!!

Both eat everytime these days ..

The one that fasted 9 months recently produced five stunning babies !!

I don't disagree. However I believe the point being made regarding husbandry is that if an animal isn't eating checking and double checking husbandry is a good idea for a first step with troubleshooting.
    In other words, improper husbandry may be the cause. If husbandry is on point then on to troubleshooting step 2.

Your case proves that even WITH proper husbandry, they can still go on extended strikes.

Congrats on the babies!!!! What was the pairing?

Thanks

I don't disagree. However I believe the point being made regarding husbandry is that if an animal isn't eating checking and double checking husbandry is a good idea for a first step with troubleshooting.
    In other words, improper husbandry may be the cause. If husbandry is on point then on to troubleshooting step 2.

Your case proves that even WITH proper husbandry, they can still go on extended strikes.

Congrats on the babies!!!! What was the pairing?
    Two high contrast Albinos

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast