Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,907

2 members and 2,905 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

This girl's condition...opinions wanted

Hello,

I pride myself on taking good care of my snakes and have always fed them sparingly. I have an albino ball python I got from Vin Russo back in 2012. During the summer months, I feed her a medium rat every 2-3 weeks. I also drop the temps down during the winter and only do a couple feedings from December through March. I recently joined a discussion forum with an area to post pictures of pet snakes. When I posted a pic of this girl from today many people said that she was too fat and one person actually said she looked morbidly obese!! The pictures do make her look a little chunky, but she is all muscle and has been conditioned for years!! I'll post the links to the pics here and would appreciate input from a crowd who knows what they're looking at. She's currently weighs about 1290 grams.

https://i.imgur.com/gNoyGfw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cUvn5t0.jpg

Thanks
    - Phil

Pictures of My Reptiles

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.
    ~ Francis Bacon

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pals BP For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Looks fine to me. Not sure what the "morbidly obese" person was seeing but I'm missing it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-10-2019),Craiga 01453 (12-10-2019),Pals BP (12-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: This girl's condition...opinions wanted

Looks perfect in this shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Pals BP (12-10-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Not fat at all. I look at the top of the tail area.

She's lovely !

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-10-2019),Pals BP (12-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pals BP View Post
    ... I recently joined a discussion forum with an area to post pictures of pet snakes. When I posted a pic of this girl from today many people said that she was too fat and one person actually said she looked morbidly obese!! ...
    Was that a discussion group for just (or mostly) ball pythons? Or snakes of ALL kinds? I can imagine that people who only ever see corn snakes (for example) might think
    this is an overweight snake, either that or some of those folks have anorexia themselves? -Have you ever noticed that people tend to feed their pets similarly to how they
    feed themselves? (And I agree, your BP looks just fine!)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-10-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Pals BP (12-10-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    She looks fine based on the proportions however 1290 grams at 7 years old for a female is bit small even if they all grow at different rates, how big is she length wise she appeared to be quite short based on proportions? and most importantly are you sure it's a female?
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-10-2019),Lord Sorril (12-10-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    She looks fine based on the proportions however 1290 grams at 7 years old for a female is bit small even if they all grow at different rates, how big is she length wise she appeared to be quite short based on proportions? and most importantly are you sure it's a female?
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Is it possible there was an error in communication? Or maybe Vin Russo was mistaken? Obviously his reputation leads me to think not, but hey, nobody's perfect.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Looks perfect in this shot

Can I ask how you got the picture within the post? I'm new to using Imgur. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Was that a discussion group for just (or mostly) ball pythons? Or snakes of ALL kinds? I can imagine that people who only ever see corn snakes (for example) might think
    this is an overweight snake, either that or some of those folks have anorexia themselves? -Have you ever noticed that people tend to feed their pets similarly to how they
    feed themselves? (And I agree, your BP looks just fine!)
    All kinds of snakes. It's actually Reddit...I joined because there are separate groups for all my interests, but this is my very first post and it leads me to believe it may not be a great spot for ball python owners. Many of the posts on there are culobrids or hatchling ball pythons.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/snakes/comm...m_source=share

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Pretty sure she's a female because all my females of the same age are approximately the same size. I feed sparingly and wanted to emphasize building a healthy muscular snake instead of a big fat girl. She's about 3.5 feet right now.
    - Phil

Pictures of My Reptiles

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.
    ~ Francis Bacon

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Pretty sure she's a female because all my females of the same age are approximately the same size. I feed sparingly and wanted to emphasize building a healthy muscular snake instead of a big fat girl. She's about 3.5 feet right now.
    Even slow feeder, poor feeder are generally bigger by that age not to mention 3.5 feet is really short for a 7 years old female.

I am one of those people that grow their animals slowly and yet I still achieve at least 1200/1500 grams in 3 years as an average.

Poor feeder might take 4 years to get to 1200 grams.

So that gives you an idea, growing slowly is one things but again 1250 grams at 7 years that is more than slow growing even if they grow at different rate, now the proportion looks good based on weight/length but I would likely re-sex her.
    Deborah Stewart

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

This girl's condition...opinions wanted

I only use the free version of TapaTalk ... it’s an app that encompasses all the main forums plus its side benefit is the free , one click photo upload option

Last edited by Zincubus; 12-10-2019 at 01:46 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Pals BP (12-10-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast