Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,159

2 members and 3,157 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

BRB lives in moisture box.

So my concern/question is, my BRB basically lives in its moisture box, and i want to know if thats normal behavior.

She is still very young.. 4-5 months old and her terrarium is a tub. I have the ideal heat gradient for a BRB at all times ranging between 75-80 cool end to warm, and middle of the day may be about 82 on the warm in.
    I know humidity is important so that is consistently 85% unless i spray it on occasion which only increases it to higher percentages. I even went as far as securing a fan to one end that turns on every 4 hours throughout the
    day for 30 mins at a time to remove any potential stagnant air. To be honest im quite impressed with my little set up and cant imagine making her conditions any more ideal.

For awhile I had 3 hides in her little home, one on the cool side, one on the warm side, and a moisture box/hide on the warm side as well. After a while i finally removed the hide on the warm side (since she never used
    it) which only leaves a cool side hide and a moisture box on the warm side. She never leaves the moisture box, its her favorite resting place. the only time i see her moving about her terrarium is right after i put her back
    in after handling. It doesn't take her long at all to make her way back into her moisture box, where she pretty much stays until the next handling sesh (unless she sneaks out in the middle of the night and i just haven't
    seen it). I have a moist towel inside her moisture box that i replace regularly and she loves to find her way between the folds while she is inside.

So back to my concern/question. Is it normal behavior for her to choose just the moisture box and never any other hide? also is there any risk of her spending all that time inside the moisture box which btw is damp and
    very humid. Im worried that staying in those conditions for such a length of time might pose a health risk to her. I was always under the impression that snakes only go to a moisture box whenever they feel the need, not
    as a place to stay in for days on in.

Thanks for your input!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    For the first year BRB's need to be at 90% humidity or higher. Mine stay in tubs with half an inch of damp cypress mulch as substrate, 75*F ambient with an 85-87*F basking spot on the "warm" side provided as belly heat, they will burrow to it when digesting. Essentially the whole tub is a humid hide.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (12-07-2019)