Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,098

2 members and 3,096 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

TSC Pine shavings Ya or na?

Whats up guys! So today I didn't have time to run over to the next county to buy Mazuri food, so I went to Tractor Supply and bought a bag of Doogy bag dog food for the time being. I have seen mixed reviews on this type of food, so I'll keep you guys updated on what my thoughts are on it, as of now though my ASFs are chowing down on it like they have never eating...lol. While I was there I grabbed me a bag of TSC flake pine shaving to give it a try. Again I have seen mixed reasons on pine shavings for rats, so I will keep you guys updated on my thoughts on that as well. I hope I am not making a mistake with this stuff, but I am trying it out on 2 bins and the rest of my bins will stay aspen. I hope this stuff works. It would save me about 15 dollars. TSC pine=5.99 {8cub} Aspen=24.99 {8cub}

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    Pine is toxic to reptiles, I believe. Obviously may not apply to your rats, but just figured I would bring it up.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

Re: TSC Pine shavings Ya or na?

Thanks for the heads up. That's why I am trying on 2 bins and about 10 rats. Some say rats die some say they never had issues. I hope I am one that doesn't have issues

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes you will be fine I have been using it for 12 years with no issues.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Nice! glad to hear that! Have you ever tried the Doggy bad food before?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BRD View Post
    Nice! glad to hear that! Have you ever tried the Doggy bad food before?
    Yes that is what I feed exclusively since 2010 and here is why

I have been breeding feeder since 2007 and I produce a few THOUSANDS a year both mice and rats, when I first started like everyone I used Mazuri for Feeder Breeder.

One of the things that bothered me the most was that the rats and mice were developing mammary tumors at a high rate in my opinion, there was not a week that would go by without me having to retire some females, so I did some research and I researched Doggy Bag from tractor supply (I am big on reading labels) and while I would not feed it to my dogs it does great for feeders.

I did not jump blindly I did a side by side comparison 1 rack on mazuri for a year 1 rack on Doggy bag for a year, I recorded everything for overall appearance, to litter sizes to mammary tumors. I was surprise that nothing was affected except for mammary tumors, they just rarely happened in the rack fed with doggy bag.

After a year I made the switch completely, and I rarely see tumors in rats anymore and they become even more rare in my mice colony.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 12-05-2019 at 01:04 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Derby (05-18-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Yes that is what I feed exclusively since 2010 and here is why

Wow!! thanks for sharing! Defiantly feel better now

Thanks

Well its been a little over 2 weeks now that I posted this and I just want to comment on what I have noticed. First... TSC flake pine shavings... I haven't seen any sneezing or deaths from my colonys, so I am super happy with it and I am going to keep using it. 2nd....As for the Doggy bag dog food my rats seem to love it, but the only thing I see negative about it is it makes my rats coat look rough and their poop is more like diarrhea, so if you don't mind that its not bad...again my rats love it. I am definitely going to be using it as a mix with Mazuri for a different taste for them. Hope this helps people like myself looking to save money.

Whats up guys! So today I didn't have time to run over to the next county to buy Mazuri food, so I went to Tractor Supply and bought a bag of Doogy bag dog food for the time being. I have seen mixed reviews on this type of food, so I'll keep you guys updated on what my thoughts are on it, as of now though my ASFs are chowing down on it like they have never eating...lol. While I was there I grabbed me a bag of TSC flake pine shaving to give it a try. Again I have seen mixed reasons on pine shavings for rats, so I will keep you guys updated on my thoughts on that as well. I hope I am not making a mistake with this stuff, but I am trying it out on 2 bins and the rest of my bins will stay aspen. I hope this stuff works. It would save me about 15 dollars. TSC pine=5.99 {8cub} Aspen=24.99 {8cub}

Thanks

Well its been a little over 2 weeks now that I posted this and I just want to comment on what I have noticed. First... TSC flake pine shavings... I haven't seen any sneezing or deaths from my colonys, so I am super happy with it and I am going to keep using it. 2nd....As for the Doggy bag dog food my rats seem to love it, but the only thing I see negative about it is it makes my rats coat look rough and their poop is more like diarrhea, so if you don't mind that its not bad...again my rats love it. I am definitely going to be using it as a mix with Mazuri for a different taste for them. Hope this helps people like myself looking to save money.

I know it's been a few weeks but I also wanted to chime in. I use the flakes from TSC with absolutely zero issues. Its very cost effective and makes cleaning cages weekly easy. I also use the doggie bag fog food exclusively for all my rodents. The first week or two was a little rough, like you pointed out, but once they adjust they do great on the food. Initially the coats were a little greasy but I'd say after a month they returned to a nice normal look again and doesn't feel greasy when I pet them.

I would greatly recommend both these products, imo they are well worth what they cost.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Naginii For This Useful Post:

BRD (01-05-2020)