Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,867

2 members and 2,865 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Arrow RHP's why are we not talking about this more

So its not that RHP's are not talked about it's that for something that seems to have become a common suggestion why are we not talking about them more? In a reptile group who tend to pride ourselves on the DIY projects we are constantly doing, why is everyone so against DIY RHP's? Also why are there not more choices on the market? It seems like Reptile Basics and Pro- Heat are the only options. I know that RHP's are more common for other reptiles and snake but even for BP's it seems like everyone is starting to move towards them. Even looking through this forum there are so many OLD OLD post about RHPs and only a hand full of new ones that all seem redundant, "Call Bob" "pro-heat is the best." But why in this HUGE and Various Market are there not more choices out there for RHP's?

I know this is kind of a rant, but I am purchasing all new PVC enclosures and I am going to use them with RHP's....my rhp's are practically doubling my enclosure cost and I cant find any real useful info on DIY or alternate choices as PVC enclosure don't usually suggest UTH's.

I guess I am just a little frustrated in the lack of choices.

Please share your opinions on this topic. I want to know what other BP people and other reptile people think in general about the lack of selection on the market. Also if you know more about electrical and have insight into why they are so pricey or even why DIY ing an RHP is a bad idea/or a good one please share
    Constant Learner

Ball Pythons 2.7:

Nagini 0.1 Normal
    Bananas 0.1 Albino Normal
    Lucy 0.1 BEL Super Mojave
    Slice 0.1 Pied Normal
    Mimosa 0.1 Pastel Cinnamon Champagne
    Eos 0.1 Super Enchi Champange
    Sabrina 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost 66% Het Pied
    Leopold 1.0 Leopard Phantom
    Drogo 1.0 Super Cinnamon Banana

Other Pets:
    Reine 0.1 French Bulldog
    Hagrid 1.0 English Bulldog
    Mocha 0.1 Long haired Doxie
    Reddish 0.1 Guinea Pig

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: RHP's why are we not talking about this more

Nothing wrong with using UTH/heat tape on pvc enclosures. That’s how every pvc rack manufacturer will heat their racks and many enclosure manufacturers do the same.

As for the RHP discussion, it’s a fairly specialized and expensive item to manufacture and supply. There are other options than Reptile Basics and pro heat, boaphile will supply rhp with their enclosures as well as at least one other manufacturer that’s slipping my mind.

In regards to DIY manufacturing of heating elements... not something I’m sure most would feel comfortable/capable of macguyvering on their own. Electrical work is not something to be winged so to speak for the risk of fire and electrocution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-04-2019),Kira8p (12-05-2019),Reinz (12-04-2019)

Thanks

I actually just ordered a 120 watt today from reptile basics. I called pro heat and he suggested that same size but of course I’m cheap( I hope it doesn’t bite me in the butt) he also wasn’t currently making any big rhp’s so the wait time would be a few weeks. There are a few YouTube videos on diy heat panels but I am not confident in my electrical abilities to make one.

Thanks
    I just received 2 more from pro products...a 125watt and a 60 watt. Their well known about at this point and only really come up when recommending new comers to the hobby on heating sources...thats what I think anyways.

For me, I will stick with pro products. I have had a 120watt reptile basics in the past...was not real impressed by it. So far with the 75 watt pro products I have in use its amazing. Time will tell once my ap t25 gets here and I get it set up, as it will be the same set up I had with the reptile basics rhp. The quality of the panel itself with pro products is amazing. Not a cheap plastic feeling housing. Much safer made then everything I have heard about reptile basics. I will gladly pay a little more for something that is so much better quality. This is just my opinion.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waterman For This Useful Post:

Bodie (12-04-2019),Kira8p (12-05-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
    I just received 2 more from pro products...a 125watt and a 60 watt. Their well known about at this point and only really come up when recommending new comers to the hobby on heating sources...thats what I think anyways.

For me, I will stick with pro products. I have had a 120watt reptile basics in the past...was not real impressed by it. So far with the 75 watt pro products I have in use its amazing. Time will tell once my ap t25 gets here and I get it set up, as it will be the same set up I had with the reptile basics rhp. The quality of the panel itself with pro products is amazing. Not a cheap plastic feeling housing. Much safer made then everything I have heard about reptile basics. I will gladly pay a little more for something that is so much better quality. This is just my opinion.

Well said. I am a RHP fan myself and especially pro products. I have them in all my cages (6) and would buy from no one else
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bodie For This Useful Post:

Kira8p (12-05-2019),Waterman (12-04-2019)