Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,841

2 members and 2,839 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Traveling

Thanks

Smile Traveling

Hello!

This is my first post on here, this site has been a huge help. I just got my first ball python about 2 weeks ago. I will be traveling for Christmas to see family and staying about a week. The drive is about 5-6 hours. I was wondering if I should take my snake with me and bring her whole set up as well or if I should keep her here and see if a friend can check on her through the week. If I do travel with her, should I just put in her a ventilated container during the drive and have a heat pad or something of the sort on the bottom? Thank you in advance.

-Shea

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Traveling

Quote Originally Posted by Sheazamm View Post
    Hello!

This is my first post on here, this site has been a huge help. I just got my first ball python about 2 weeks ago. I will be traveling for Christmas to see family and staying about a week. The drive is about 5-6 hours. I was wondering if I should take my snake with me and bring her whole set up as well or if I should keep her here and see if a friend can check on her through the week. If I do travel with her, should I just put in her a ventilated container during the drive and have a heat pad or something of the sort on the bottom? Thank you in advance.

-Shea
    Your snake is better off at home in it's enclosure with limited stress, they are not dog can can stay home without supervision for a week or two.

Make sure you stop all feeding a week prior to your trip.

Make sure you have a water dish big enough and top it of before you leave.

Make sure you have absorbent substrate.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-04-2019),Craiga 01453 (12-04-2019),dr del (12-05-2019),jmcrook (12-04-2019),Sheazamm (12-05-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post

Make sure you stop all feeding a week prior to your trip.
    Hi,
    I will be traveling for a week as well, but my son will be staying at the house to keep an eye on Lilia. He will freshen her water and monitor her temps/humidity. (But no handling! I asked him not to bother her while I'm away. He's 30, so he will listen to me!)

I was planning on feeding her a few days before I leave, but you say to stop all feeding a week prior. Can you explain? I'm learning...so I'd like to put this information in the notebook I keep about Lilia's care.

Thank you!!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeeAnnT99 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-04-2019),Craiga 01453 (12-04-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

The reason you want to make sure to stop all feeding a week prior is to make sure the prey is fully digested, should their be a fluke and your BP would regurgitate while gone, not only would you come back to a smelly mess but depending on the extent of the regurgitation your BP could be sitting in his on gastric juices causing burns or worse (it has happened before)
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-04-2019),Craiga 01453 (12-04-2019),dr del (12-05-2019),LeeAnnT99 (12-04-2019),Sheazamm (12-05-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    The reason you want to make sure to stop all feeding a week prior is to make sure the prey is fully digested, should their be a fluke and your BP would regurgitate while gone, not only would you come back to a smelly mess but depending on the extent of the regurgitation your BP could be sitting in his on gastric juices causing burns or worse (it has happened before)
    Thanks Stewart_Reptiles!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    Agree it's best to leave him home...snakes don't need the stress of travel, especially long trips. You'd also run the risk of having car trouble, let's just say, & having
    the trip take longer than expected. If you ever DO want or need to transport your snake(s), they do very well when bagged securely in cloth bags (or pillow cases)
    and then put in an "ice chest" (or insulated styro-foam box, like live snakes or food is shipped in) with either a tiny air hole or periodic brief opening for fresh air (about
    every 8 hours), or just a small wad of tape to prevent the lid from closing tightly is very easy too. To keep a snake warm on the trip, you can use a bottle of hot water
    (it will last about 8 hours) or a chemical heat-pack as used when reptiles are shipped by air. Either way, make sure the heat source is wrapped so the snake is not in
    contact with excessive heat, ever, during the trip. The cloth bag containing the snake will help but always "err on the side of safety". I've moved cross country with a
    number of snakes traveling this way...they all did great, & seemed relaxed about the whole thing. I checked them & gave them water when I stopped each night.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jakob_Ansel (12-09-2019),LeeAnnT99 (12-04-2019),Sheazamm (12-05-2019)