Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,927

1 members and 2,926 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Anyone into Falconry?

My youngest daughter has caught the "bug" and has gone along on a couple of training sessions with falconers. She just barely didn't pass her falconer's test to get her license but will next time. She's going to build the mew while she studies and try to find someone willing to take her on as an apprentice. It's neat to see my kid really passionate about something, and we are all as a family preparing for our possible new addition.

The good thing is when we are done with the falcon, or when it's done with us , it can return to the wild.

Just wanted to see if anyone else here has falconry experience.
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 12-04-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-04-2019),EL-Ziggy (12-04-2019),Reinz (12-04-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I wish!!!!

That's so cool!!! It's awesome that your daughter has taken an interest. I've never kept or worked with birds but they fascinate the heck out of me.

Best of luck!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (12-04-2019)

Thanks

Re: Anyone into Falconry?

I was interested (and still am) in falconry. It's really cool that your daughter has taken such an interest and I hope she continues to have fun with the hobby! I belive that you have to start with a Red Tail Hawk or a Kestrel but that might just be in my state.
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TopazEye View Post
    I was interested (and still am) in falconry. It's really cool that your daughter has taken such an interest and I hope she continues to have fun with the hobby! I belive that you have to start with a Red Tail Hawk or a Kestrel but that might just be in my state.
    Yep she is hoping to get a red tail hawk before the capturing season ends, but it's going to be a rush to get everything ready by Jan 31st.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

TopazEye (12-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Long-term wannabe here! I don't have the time or space to pursue falconry any time soon, but hopefully I'll be able to do so in the future. It's a wonderful pursuit.

If I were in you and your daughter's position, I'd probably secure a sponsor first, pass the test, and then build the mews. If I remember the regulations correctly, you don't have to have your mews built to ahead of your test, just in time for your Fish & Wildlife/Game inspection to receive your trapping permit. You'll want to check in with your licensing agency on that. Her potential sponsor should be able to give her some good insight into how to properly build her mews and study for the test, so they're someone she'll want in her corner sooner rather than later anyway. I have an pre-apprentice-friendly website bookmarked with some mews examples -- PM me and I can send you the link.

I personally wouldn't rush the process to meet the January deadline -- an extra season of tagging along and learning from others and their birds never hurt, and it gives you more time to get your permits all lined up and your ideal mews built! It would also be a good opportunity to make sure this is something she actually wants to do. It's awesome that she's passionate about it (and able to pursue it, I'm jealous!), but it's one thing to tag along with falconers, and a whole other thing to become one yourself. As one falconer once put it to me, once you make the commitment, you're tethered to your bird. Is your daughter prepared to take a step back from her other pursuits to tether herself to a raptor? Does she have the time to care for, man, and fly her bird everyday (and not have Mom or Dad do it)? Is she truly comfortable with hunting and dispatching game for her bird if she needs to? These questions aren't meant to be discouraging (and definitely not insulting!), but they're definitely questions all pre-apprentices need to think over.

I'd recommend she go with a red tail even if she has the choice between that and a kestrel. Kestrels can be a touch too delicate for beginners, from what I've heard. Best of luck to her!
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-04-2019),FollowTheSun (12-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    Long-term wannabe here! I don't have the time or space to pursue falconry any time soon, but hopefully I'll be able to do so in the future. It's a wonderful pursuit.

If I were in you and your daughter's position, I'd probably secure a sponsor first, pass the test, and then build the mews.
    Thanks for all your advice! With as much as you know, I hope you are able to get into it soon!

I agree with her simplifying her life, and she has actually done that. She rehomed one of her pets (to a friend who really wanted her), has cut down some extra-curricular activities, and has an agreement with us about keeping grades up. A lot of our requests had to do with seeing if she sustained her motivation to do this.

Our local group recommends 1-2 times a week to take the bird out hunting, and they often have a weekend meetup to join others.

I agree on waiting a bit to get the bird, too. The next catching season is May and that is much more realistic. I talked to her last night, and she listened to my logic on this and agreed also. It will give more time to get ready and mix with the crowd of local falconers.

In our local group they prefer that one passes the test before getting a sponsor to prove they are serious. I believe they also expect you to build and get the mew inspected/passed. There are not a lot of sponsors available. She found one who said he'd be willing except that he already has two apprentices.

There is a big 3-day meet-up/conference in our area late next month and she wants to go to that. She can attend workshops, mix with the experienced falconers and watch them hunt, etc. She can attend the monthly meetings from our local group, and make herself known that way and hopefully get a sponsor.

It's technically her project, but it's also a whole-family project, because we will have to support and oversee it. I honestly think this will be really good for her. She's a sensitive kid who needs something like this, and she really connects with animals.
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 12-05-2019 at 12:06 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    You're lucky to have a local falconry group, & that upcoming 3 day conference sounds like the perfect opportunity for her to break the ice. We'll look forward to your
    updates on her involvement, & thanks.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (12-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

It's one of those things I always promised myself I'd get into once I retired - like blade smithing.

I have a findness for owls I'd love to explore.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-05-2019),FollowTheSun (12-05-2019)