Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,862

0 members and 2,862 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Bio active Vivarium

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum and thought I would post up my Vivarium and my male pastel BP Freddie. He is only a few months old and 234 grams. I had him in a 20 gallon long for his first few months but just put him in his Vivarium. I have read how it's probably way too big for him but he has plenty of hides and it's bio active with springtails, isopods and plants everywhere to help keep bacteria in check so I can clutter it without having to disinfect everything all the time. The bugs eat bacteria and bad stuff. The Vivarium is 6x2x2 aquarium that I removed the front glass and put in sliding doors. There is now a panel below the glass with plenty of 2" vent holes. The top is three 1/2" plywood panels with a 3" vent in each panel. The is under the canopy which is open in the back. The back ground is spray foam and shredded coconut husk with planters installed and cork bark pieces.

The heating is Vivarium electronics 125 watt RHP mounted to the bottom of the plywood panels on the warm side and controlled by a Vivarium electronics VE-300. There is also a zoo med large undertank heater on that side as well. There are digital thermometers and hydrometers on both ends. Also couple analogs as well.

There are high basking spots and his small hides so he has lots of options. I also made large boxes but he isn't big enough for them yet so they aren't in there yet. Made them by cutting a five gallon bucket in half and then the spray foam, silicon, coconut fiber trick. They blend into the back ground.

The substrate is a few large 32quart bags of biodude Terra firma and then a couple large bags of Cypress mulch on top of that. Lots of oak leaves, cork bark, Manzanita branches make up the clutter.

Lighting is led with mostly 7200k white and then some blues and reds. I think they are finnex stingrays. They are on a timer 12 on 12 off for the plants. I still have more plants to add and want to get some bromeliads added to the background.

Freddie has been a fantastic eater and I'm hoping his new home won't stress him out and ruin that but time will tell. I can always put him back into his 20 gallon if needed and let him get bigger. I'm hoping having his little hides in there should help since he was used to those.

Last edited by Barleysoda; 12-04-2019 at 12:43 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Barleysoda For This Useful Post:

dr del (12-05-2019),Kam (12-04-2019),TopazEye (12-04-2019),wnateg (12-04-2019)

Thanks
    Update... apparently Freddie is fine with his new home. I fed him five days ago and tried to feed him again tonight. Whammm!!! He hit like he always does.
    In the pic you can see the rat tail hanging out of his hide.

I realize bioactive isn't for everyone and many of you with many snakes like the sterile tub environment but for those of us like myself who only keep one or two snakes this is a great way to display our pets IMHO. Time will tell if this will continue to be a reliable and proper way to house Freddie in a healthy home while maintaining his needs but I'm very optimistic that he continues to eat after being in this large Vivarium for only a few days. The temps and humidity are within all the care sheet ranges and they are set up for Freddie first and plants second. Its not a rain forest or dart frog type Vivarium by any means and I don't even have a drainage layer for the fact I will never be adding that much water.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Barleysoda For This Useful Post:

dr del (12-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    Looks great. I have a bioactive enclosure for my emerald tree boa. Although I myself am moving away from bioactive for various reasons, I think youre exactly right, it's a great way to showcase your snakes if you dont have a huge collection.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Bio active Vivarium

You did a good job with that enclosure.

There is no "one way" to keep this species as long as you can recognise the difference between one that is fine and confident in its enclosure and one that isn't. The fact he is still eating for you is a good sign he feels secure. I have never tried bio-active enclosures myself due to the huge ...erm.... "output" of my bp's but if it continues to work for your snake then all is golden.

dr del
    Last edited by dr del; 12-05-2019 at 09:43 PM.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.