Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,104

2 members and 3,102 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Humidity 🙄 I need tips on increasing and maintaining it please

I’ve tried lots of ways to boost my humidity but it always ends up back where i started. I have a large water bowl, I’ve put moss in half of my 70 gallon tank. I have to pour glasses of water in the substrate(reptibark and cypress mulch) and mix it up yet it still dries out it goes from 75 to 30 🤧 I just got my ball python and he’s starting to shed and I’ve raised the humidity but I know it won’t last I’m scared he won’t have a very good shed. Does anyone have any tips?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Maintaining humidity can be a challenge in glass,but it can be done. But that's a huge enclosure to maintain humidity in.

I'm assuming it has a screen top?

Also, any supplemental heat dries out the enclosure. So this time of year many people are heating their homes a d the heat dries out enclosures. Your heating equipment also dries it out.

What I do with my glass enclosures is wrap them in 1/2" foam board insulation. I do the top, back and sides. This helps immensely with heat and humidity control.

You've also got plenty of room in that 70 gallon to add a second even a third water bowl.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

chloe21 (12-03-2019),dr del (12-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Humidity 🙄 I need tips on increasing and maintaining it please

what kind of top does the enclosure have and what are you using to heat it?

If you have a mesh lid covering half to one third of it can really help - but if you are using a ceramic bulb you need to leave a clear area for the heat not to build up or cause problems over time. We did have a good sticky showing the process but when I went to look for it a lot of the pictures have sadly stopped working.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

chloe21 (12-03-2019),Zincubus (12-05-2019)

Thanks

I use glass aquariums I have a thirty now but am switching to a 150 gallon very soon. It’s vital to cover the screen top or make your own lid. I used the roll out silver insulation hot glued to 3/4 of the screen. I could go four or five days without soaking my moss or moving substrate around. For the 150 I have built a custom lid but also switched to a rhp using a che makes life tough as well.
    Last edited by DandD; 12-03-2019 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chloe21 View Post
    I’ve tried lots of ways to boost my humidity but it always ends up back where i started. I have a large water bowl, I’ve put moss in half of my 70 gallon tank. I have to pour glasses of water in the substrate(reptibark and cypress mulch) and mix it up yet it still dries out it goes from 75 to 30 �� I just got my ball python and he’s starting to shed and I’ve raised the humidity but I know it won’t last I’m scared he won’t have a very good shed. Does anyone have any tips?
    You have 1 ball python in a 70 gallon aquarium and are getting ready to more than double that? Did I hear this correctly?

Sorry different poster getting ready to go to 150... CORRECTED.. So one BP in a 70 gallon tank. How big is the animal?
    Last edited by Moose84; 12-03-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post
    You have 1 ball python in a 70 gallon aquarium and are getting ready to more than double that? Did I hear this correctly?

Sorry different poster getting ready to go to 150... CORRECTED.. So one BP in a 70 gallon tank. How big is the animal?
    You read that correct, getting ready for a 150 gallon aquarium. As soon as I talk to pro heat tmr and get the right rhp we will be finishing it all up. He’s just average nothing crazy.

seems I did the same thing as you and misread some posts lol
    Last edited by DandD; 12-03-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DandD View Post
    You read that correct, getting ready for a 150 gallon aquarium. As soon as I talk to pro heat tmr and get the right rhp we will be finishing it all up. He’s just average nothing crazy.

seems I did the same thing as you and misread some posts lol
    Why are you upgrading to such a large tank? That is much larger than most people use for a BP, and larger than most people think would even be appropriate.

Besides that, I would definitely recommend the tip above of wrapping a screen top. I am actually dealing with the same problem as you right now!
    Last edited by OkamiFlautist; 12-04-2019 at 02:35 AM. Reason: More detail!
    - Cheyenne
    2.2 Felis catus - Jet, Jasper, Terra, Meadow
    0.1 Python reguis (Het Piebald) - Tiamat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OkamiFlautist View Post
    Why are you upgrading to such a large tank? That is much larger than most people use for a BP, and larger than most people think would even be appropriate.

Besides that, I would definitely recommend the tip above of wrapping a screen top. I am actually dealing with the same problem as you right now!
    i don’t really agree with the thought that you can have a tank to big. I also got a great deal on a huge aquarium and thought,what a good way to make a really nice looking enclosure for my dining room.

also chloe is the one dealing with humidity issues.
    Last edited by DandD; 12-04-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Thanks
    I have a 20 gallons L with mesh top. I went to Lowes and had them cut a thin sheet of plexiglass to cover most of it. For a 20 gallon it was less the 20.00, not sure how much a piece would cost to cover a 70 gallon. It has a cleaner look the using foil in my opinion. Foil is obviously a lot cheaper.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Midwest For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (12-05-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DandD View Post
    i don’t really agree with the thought that you can have a tank to big. I also got a great deal on a huge aquarium and thought,what a good way to make a really nice looking enclosure for my dining room.

also chloe is the one dealing with humidity issues.
    Just because you got a good deal doesn't mean it's a good enclosure for a snake.

That is HUGE for a BP.

How many snakes do you have and how much experience with them in larger enclosures?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast