Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,088

2 members and 2,086 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Humidity 🙄 I need tips on increasing and maintaining it please

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Just because you got a good deal doesn't mean it's a good enclosure for a snake.

That is HUGE for a BP.

How many snakes do you have and how much experience with them in larger enclosures?
    We have one snake and I have zero experience with snakes in large enclosures. I also had zero experience with snakes in small enclosures when we started this journey. I want something that looks nice that my snake will enjoy. I can assure You this is not going to be two hides and a water bowl in the middle. It’s essentially a custom build from the ground up.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DandD View Post
    We have one snake and I have zero experience with snakes in large enclosures. I also had zero experience with snakes in small enclosures when we started this journey. I want something that looks nice that my snake will enjoy. I can assure You this is not going to be two hides and a water bowl in the middle. It’s essentially a custom build from the ground up.
    I'm not saying it can't be done, but there's a reason experienced keepers don't use large enclosures like that. There's also a reason we try to tell new keepers to stick to basics.
    That would be a lot of work to realize it was all for nothing if the snake doesn't thrive in there.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

LeeAnnT99 (12-04-2019),OkamiFlautist (12-04-2019)

Thanks

Question Re: Humidity 🙄 I need tips on increasing and maintaining it please

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I'm not saying it can't be done, but there's a reason experienced keepers don't use large enclosures like that. There's also a reason we try to tell new keepers to stick to basics.
    That would be a lot of work to realize it was all for nothing if the snake doesn't thrive in there.
    If after all my planning doesn’t work and he moves back to his smaller aquarium. I’ll still have a really nice enclosure for a snake or snakes that don’t need quite the high standard of husbandry a ball does. Maybe a big king or a really cool community garter snake tank.
    Last edited by DandD; 12-04-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks

If after all my planning doesn’t work and he moves back to his smaller aquarium. I’ll still have a really nice enclosure for a snake or snakes that don’t need quite the high standard of husbandry a ball does. Maybe a big king or a really cool community garter snake tank.

I don't know anything about colubrids and that might work.. I will tell you however, you are probably headed for issues with a tank that size for a BP. It will be nearly impossible to keep humidity it. I will also say this. There is also something to be said for a smaller set up for these animals. Tanks tend to get neglected because they are such a complete pain to clean. A tank that size will be a nightmare. This tend to lead to the owners "putting off" cleaning and proper care because of the amount of issues they present. Animal will suffer ultimately. I'm NOT accusing you of this I'm just going based off my experience with tanks/racks and others. Most of the surrendered and neglected animals are in HUGE enclosures that are filthy because after 2 months the owner doesn't want to do it anymore. They had the best of intentions initially but then the cleaning was too hard, the animal wasn't eating, another stuck shed, so on so forth.. Just builds and builds and the animal either dies, suffers or is given up.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

OkamiFlautist (12-05-2019),Sonny1318 (12-05-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post
    I don't know anything about colubrids and that might work.. I will tell you however, you are probably headed for issues with a tank that size for a BP. It will be nearly impossible to keep humidity it. I will also say this. There is also something to be said for a smaller set up for these animals. Tanks tend to get neglected because they are such a complete pain to clean. A tank that size will be a nightmare. This tend to lead to the owners "putting off" cleaning and proper care because of the amount of issues they present. Animal will suffer ultimately. I'm NOT accusing you of this I'm just going based off my experience with tanks/racks and others. Most of the surrendered and neglected animals are in HUGE enclosures that are filthy because after 2 months the owner doesn't want to do it anymore. They had the best of intentions initially but then the cleaning was too hard, the animal wasn't eating, another stuck shed, so on so forth.. Just builds and builds and the animal either dies, suffers or is given up.
    humidity is not a nightmare in a tank when you plan for it. Cleaning is not a nightmare when you plan for it. These are all things I kept in mind when making this tank.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

It’s always been mentioned about putting a perspex ( or whatever ) life over the mesh top ( if it is indeed mesh)

I’d also try or orchid / repti bark as the substrate as it will hold as much or as little humidity as you need .. just spray daily as many times as is needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Back to the original poster, Chloe:

If you aren't already, before you put your substrate in, add lukewarm water to the substrate until its moist all the way through, but with no excess water. Your cypress mulch or coconut coir should not be desert dry. If you are worried about exposing your snake to too much moisture, you can put dry substrate underneath the hides, but most people find this unnecessary. That should help keep humidity up longer between cleanings.

Another thing you can do is get a whole room humidifier with a humidistat. That is what I have done. Use only distilled water, or you will end up with mineral deposits very quickly.

Air Innovations 901D High... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077MLKCYW...p_mob_ap_share

Above is the humidifier I used. I set the humidistat to 50% and that lets me maintain humidities of 60-70% much easier.

You can also get a fogger for the tank but only do this as a last resort, because even on the lowest setting, mosr foggers can get tanks up to 80-90% humidity. I don't think a fogger would be necessary for you unless you are in an extremely dry climate, or you have other species in the room that can't have the higher humidity that ball pythons need. If you do go with a fogger, I recommend finding a humidistat you can use to regulate it.
    Last edited by Ranulf; 12-05-2019 at 10:36 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranulf For This Useful Post:

chloe21 (12-25-2019),LeeAnnT99 (12-05-2019)

Thanks

humidity is not a nightmare in a tank when you plan for it. Cleaning is not a nightmare when you plan for it. These are all things I kept in mind when making this tank.

Sounds like you have it figured out. Best of luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

DandD (12-05-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    On top of using damp substrate like coco fiber, and a humidifier (optional), you can also add 1 or 2 humid hides in the tank. You want to aim keeping the humidity in while not sacrificing air flow. This can be done by covering most of the mesh lid with a cover and limit the use of heat sources that would speed up water loss and dry out the tank (ie heat lamps).

I think a big tank can work for a bp. If it eats consistently for you, and it is showing no signs of stress, sure why not. If if fails, then you can return the bp back to its old smaller enclosure. Bp's generally do better in smaller spaces but it won't hurt to try. Keep in mind though, for the amount of work you have to put into it, you probably won't see your bp as much as you would expect compared to an active colubrid.

I have a big tank for my BTS, about 4 x 2. It was a frag tank, I think about 275gallon? Either way, like most BTS, he sleeps most of the time and is active once he is up. He also requires a 50-60% humidity at minimum. To keep humidity in, we covered half the tank with ply wood drilled with some holes. The other side has a mesh lid with a basking bulb and UVB light. I spot clean his tank as needed and every month, the whole tank gets cleaned out, and he has yet to get sick (He gets checked his check ups). And lizards poop a whole lot more often than ball pythons do. Imo, big tanks don't equates to dirty tanks if the keeper is dedicated to cleaning them. Conversely, I had seen many owners putting their snakes in too small of an enclosure and not clean the darn tank (Smaller space, need to clean more often).

Fyi, Cali kings and other large active colubrids would love that space. Or a red ackie.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

DandD (12-05-2019),Southpaw91 (12-07-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    you can also add 1 or 2 humid hides in the tank.
    This is what i was going to say. You can easily make a humidity box for your snake by taking a plastic food container that the snake will comfortably fit in and cutting a hole in the lid big enough for them to fit thru(make sure to smooth the edges down). Fill it halfway with damp sphagnum moss and pop the lid on. Place on the warm end of the enclosure. Just re-wet the moss once or twice a week, and your snake will hang out in there when they need a humidity boost.

Just make sure you don't have standing water in the bottom of it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12