Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,013

2 members and 3,011 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Stuck?

Thanks

Stuck?

My ball python is over 3 foot and I think he gets stuck when he goes in the tree on the cold side. He literally did not leave it for a week until I took him out of it myself to offer food

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Stuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Parsons483 View Post
    He literally did not leave it for a week until I took him out of it myself to offer food
    Since you can't watch him 24/7: If you said a few months I would be concerned.

Regardless: you might want to find a different hide that you feel more comfortable with.
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 12-03-2019 at 08:13 AM.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

dr del (12-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

My ball python is over 3 foot and I think he gets stuck when he goes in the tree on the cold side. He literally did not leave it for a week until I took him out of it myself to offer food

Hard to say without seeing how his home is furnished, but more than likely (I'm assuming he HAS regular hides?) he just likes the snug feel of it...maybe his hides should
    be made cozier? If they're too big or too "open" (large doorway, perhaps?) they can be improved upon.

Did he actually eat, after you "took him out..."? That handling & forced loss of security would turn off many a BP's appetite, just saying.

Just to note, there ARE things that snakes can get stuck in: anything they have to squeeze thru* that they cannot back out of because their scales catch & prevent it.
    *In the wild, snakes get stuck in birding netting & similar products used as fencing in & around gardens. In captivity, avoid using furnishings like driftwood or cholla logs
    that have tight holes; sometimes what a young snake can fit thru no longer works when he eats or grows. On driftwood, you can permanently plug a hole for safety.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Parsons483 (12-03-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hard to say without seeing how his home is furnished, but more than likely (I'm assuming he HAS regular hides?) he just likes the snug feel of it...maybe his hides should
    be made cozier? If they're too big or too "open" (large doorway, perhaps?) they can be improved upon.

Did he actually eat, after you "took him out..."? That handling & forced loss of security would turn off many a BP's appetite, just saying.

Just to note, there ARE things that snakes can get stuck in: anything they have to squeeze thru* that they cannot back out of because their scales catch & prevent it.
    *In the wild, snakes get stuck in birding netting & similar products used as fencing in & around gardens. In captivity, avoid using furnishings like driftwood or cholla logs
    that have tight holes; sometimes what a young snake can fit thru no longer works when he eats or grows. On driftwood, you can permanently plug a hole for safety.
    There are a few other hides that he just barely fit in. He used thoes a lot until I put the tree back in. And I took him out of his hide and and then he did eat. I took him out then he went under his old favorite then I took the rat out and thawed it out offered it and he took it no problem. Then he went out and warmed up. That hide I asked if he was as stuck in is on th cold side

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

I'd simply replace it on one of the occasions you see him outside of it.

I like hides that I can simply lift off the snake in case I need to clean in a hurry. You can make your own from plant pot saucers when the snake is smaller and buy custom made ones from somewhere like reptile basics when the snake has a bit of size.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-04-2019),LeeAnnT99 (12-04-2019),Parsons483 (12-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    I'd simply replace it on one of the occasions you see him outside of it.

I like hides that I can simply lift off the snake in case I need to clean in a hurry. You can make your own from plant pot saucers when the snake is smaller and buy custom made ones from somewhere like reptile basics when the snake has a bit of size.
    Yeah this one when I lift it he is still in it I kinda got to hover over the bottom of the tank and wait for him to come out

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    I had a snake get stuck on purpose in part of an artificial waterfall early on, before we knew much about snakes and what was safe to put in their enclosures. I was able to persuade her out of it by surrounding the part with ice packs and frozen veggies. She got too cold and came right out very quickly.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-04-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Yeah this one when I lift it he is still in it I kinda got to hover over the bottom of the tank and wait for him to come out

Yeah, you'll want to remove that tree. Anything that's hollow on the bottom like that should be avoided. It's not a matter of "if" but a matter of "when" you'll have to perform a "rescue mission". And with that you run the risk of injuring the animal. It's simply not worth the risk.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

LeeAnnT99 (12-04-2019),Parsons483 (12-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Yeah, you'll want to remove that tree. Anything that's hollow on the bottom like that should be avoided. It's not a matter of "if" but a matter of "when" you'll have to perform a "rescue mission". And with that you run the risk of injuring the animal. It's simply not worth the risk.
    Thank you. I'll remove it and put something else in

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Parsons483 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-04-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Thank you. I'll remove it and put something else in

Happy to help.