Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,833

6 members and 2,827 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Ball python not eating

Quote Originally Posted by Tattoobeauty90 View Post
    It was a digital thermometer because that's all he had and I didn't have any money until I got paid today. I purchased a infared thermometer and a temperature control unit. I understand it sounded like I was not listening. It is just that I had no way to purchase anything because I had no money. So I was trying to do what I could.
    I just wanted to mention that this is a good learning experience. Next time please have all the proper equipment and enclosure up and running before bringing an animal home.

Also, it's important to mention it's our responsibility as pet keepers to care for them properly. That means having money to provide what they need. Equipment fails, accidents happen, emergency vet visits happen. So please save up some money for emergencies as well.

Just something to think about moving forward. We owe it to our animals to properly care for them and to be prepared.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

LeeAnnT99 (12-05-2019),OkamiFlautist (12-04-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (12-03-2019),Tattoobeauty90 (12-06-2019),wnateg (12-03-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Digital thermometer or IR temp gun? The latter is what you really need to know ground temps.

I would unplug the heat pad unless you have it regulated by thermostat. Too hot is worse than too cool.

Over 92-93F, which a heat pad, unregulated will get too in no time, can start causing problems for your snake. Even a little hotter = neurological damage. A little hotter than that and she dies.

People on here have tried to gently warn you, and even some not so gently. You keep saying you are doing X, but we are telling you need to do Y, Z, A, and B.

Your snake = your responsibility.

I want you to understand this is life or death for you snake. Not just heat wise, but if she doesn't start eating for you soon, she won't make it either. As stated earlier, she will NOT eat for you until conditions are correct.

I went home and the heating pad had fallen off again. When I tested it with the infared gun it said that the temperature was 67-70 °f (it kept jumping around). The digital thermometer read that it was 93°f. I went and got a new heating pad. I put it on the side instead of underneath, in my research it told me I could do either or. I let it sit for a couple hours. Now the infared shows 70° to 80°f and the digital thermometer is showing 73.3 °f

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I just wanted to mention that this is a good learning experience. Next time please have all the proper equipment and enclosure up and running before bringing an animal home.

Also, it's important to mention it's our responsibility as pet keepers to care for them properly. That means having money to provide what they need. Equipment fails, accidents happen, emergency vet visits happen. So please save up some money for emergencies as well.

Just something to think about moving forward. We owe it to our animals to properly care for them and to be prepared.

Believe me it is a learning situation I did my research and I still did something wrong. I normally do have money put up, but Christmas has got me broke. 😥

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I went home and the heating pad had fallen off again. When I tested it with the infared gun it said that the temperature was 67-70 °f (it kept jumping around). The digital thermometer read that it was 93°f. I went and got a new heating pad. I put it on the side instead of underneath, in my research it told me I could do either or. I let it sit for a couple hours. Now the infared shows 70° to 80°f and the digital thermometer is showing 73.3 °f
    There is no point putting a UTH on the side the heat will just radiate forwards then upwards .... the UTH has to be underneath .

You should be able to tape the mat on easily enough ( only use tape OUTSIDE of vivs / tanks .)

Maybe even hot-glue the mat in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-04-2019),Tattoobeauty90 (12-06-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    There is no point putting a UTH on the side the heat will just radiate forwards then upwards .... the UTH has to be underneath .

You should be able to tape the mat on easily enough ( only use tape OUTSIDE of vivs / tanks .)

Agreed. Putting it on the side is unfortunately a waste of energy and heat.
    The heat mat is there to create a hot spot, not for ambient temps. So putting it on the side of the enclosure will only heat the glass and a few inches in front of it.

Your UTH (Under Tank Heater) should be on the bottom.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

LeeAnnT99 (12-05-2019),Tattoobeauty90 (12-04-2019),Zincubus (12-04-2019)

Thanks

The new heating mat is sticking fine and is up under it, but the must it has heated up is 79 °f. I talked to the lady at my local petsmart, who actually owns a ball python, she suggested getting a heat lamp and putting a heat emitter. So I done that just waiting to see if it makes the temp go higher. I do have it on the thermostat so it dont get to hot.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tattoobeauty90 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (12-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

The new heating mat is sticking fine and is up under it, but the must it has heated up is 79 °f. I talked to the lady at my local petsmart, who actually owns a ball python, she suggested getting a heat lamp and putting a heat emitter. So I done that just waiting to see if it makes the temp go higher. I do have it on the thermostat so it dont get to hot.
    Sounds promising !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Tattoobeauty90 (12-06-2019)

Thanks

There is a learning curve when you get our first BP and so much information out there (some of which contradicts others). It sounds like you are taking good steps to getting the temp right. Don't be put off by people saying your not doing enough, we were all beginners at one time too (I think I still am even though my collection includes 7 BP now)

-side note IDK where you live but if your tank is near a window or an AC vent or if you keep your place cold it can make it a lot harder to get your temp and humidity right.

I second what a few have said about thawing and heating- thaw in cold water, in the fridge or on the counter (for a fuzzie or a hopper it wont take long), and then submerge in warm water for a few min or use a hair dryer (I personally love the hair dryer method, my snakes come out of their hides when they hear me start).

-Don't take your BP out of her enclosure (for a while this was suggested and now people are tending to agree that it can just add stress) I don't know if you do this but just incase.

-Feed in the evening with lights low.

-If you are trying to feed hopper you may need to go back down a size as she may be too weak from not eating for an extended time.

-If you get temps right and she still is not eating or not eating regularly you might need to move to live- you can usually find suppliers on FB or craigslist.

Keep us in the loop on how things are going.
    Constant Learner

Ball Pythons 2.7:

Nagini 0.1 Normal
    Bananas 0.1 Albino Normal
    Lucy 0.1 BEL Super Mojave
    Slice 0.1 Pied Normal
    Mimosa 0.1 Pastel Cinnamon Champagne
    Eos 0.1 Super Enchi Champange
    Sabrina 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost 66% Het Pied
    Leopold 1.0 Leopard Phantom
    Drogo 1.0 Super Cinnamon Banana

Other Pets:
    Reine 0.1 French Bulldog
    Hagrid 1.0 English Bulldog
    Mocha 0.1 Long haired Doxie
    Reddish 0.1 Guinea Pig

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kira8p For This Useful Post:

Tattoobeauty90 (12-06-2019)

Thanks

Sounds promising !

So with the heat mat and the heat emitter her temp on her warm side is finally high. I have the thermostat to shut off at 90°. I didn't try to feed her at all yesterday to make sure she warmed up. I fed her tonight using the thaw instructions. She finally ate it was the last two mouse fuzzies I had. I have small mouse for her for her next feeding. Thank you all for your help I have really learned alot.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tattoobeauty90 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-06-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kira8p View Post
    There is a learning curve when you get our first BP and so much information out there (some of which contradicts others). It sounds like you are taking good steps to getting the temp right. Don't be put off by people saying your not doing enough, we were all beginners at one time too (I think I still am even though my collection includes 7 BP now)

-side note IDK where you live but if your tank is near a window or an AC vent or if you keep your place cold it can make it a lot harder to get your temp and humidity right.

I second what a few have said about thawing and heating- thaw in cold water, in the fridge or on the counter (for a fuzzie or a hopper it wont take long), and then submerge in warm water for a few min or use a hair dryer (I personally love the hair dryer method, my snakes come out of their hides when they hear me start).

-Don't take your BP out of her enclosure (for a while this was suggested and now people are tending to agree that it can just add stress) I don't know if you do this but just incase.

-Feed in the evening with lights low.

-If you are trying to feed hopper you may need to go back down a size as she may be too weak from not eating for an extended time.

-If you get temps right and she still is not eating or not eating regularly you might need to move to live- you can usually find suppliers on FB or craigslist.

Keep us in the loop on how things are going.
    Tha I you so much for the kind words. Oh no I never handle her after a feeding I wait 48 hours after she eats. I fed her the last fuzzies mice I had.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast