Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,035

0 members and 2,035 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball python not eating

Hey

I bought my ball python September 26 2019, her papers said she was eating 2 f/t fuzzies every week. She didn't eat the week after I brought her home, but that was understandable. Ever since then she has ate the 2 f/t fuzzies. For the past 3 weeks she has not eaten at all. The first two weeks she would come out and act like she wanted them, but never took them. I even tried leaving it in her cage and walked away, but never took them. I went and bought a brand new pack, in case the other pack was a bad batch. It is the same brand I had been buying, but
    this time when I tried to feed her she acts scared of it. She jumps back and tries to hide from it. I have made sure everything is right with her setup and when I feed her I do it in low lighting or darkness. I even tried making the mouse look alive by moving it around the cage. Other than the feeding issue she acts like her normal self. I can still handle her and she doesn't act like she is stressed. She is not showing signs of pre shed and she has only shed for me once since I had her. I just want to see if their is anything I could do before I take her to the vet to be checked out.
    Last edited by Tattoobeauty90; 12-02-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Ball python not eating

Please provide the following information. It will help us determine what might be going on.

1. Age and weight of BP.

2. Tank - size, temps, hides, etc.

3. How often are you offering food?

4. Rat fuzzies or mouse fuzzies?

5. How are you defrosting the prey items?

6. How are you offering the prey items?

7. How often are you handling?

BP's are known for going off feed in the winter months, but to ensure that is what is going on, we need to know more.
    Last edited by dakski; 12-02-2019 at 12:06 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-02-2019),Craiga 01453 (12-02-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (12-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    I assume you mean you're feeding mouse fuzzies? & if so, that's probably too small for her. Most find that mouse hoppers are a more appropriate size, but as dakski
    said, you didn't give us quite enough information to accurately answer your question. See also the feeding chart for size of snake: size of prey recommended.

Also be aware that snakes are quite stoic...you cannot easily judge their actual stress level visually, so it's time to revisit your husbandry on all points (temps. inside the
    enclosure where the snake is, not just what a probe reads underneath, etc.).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

1. She is 6 months old 125 grams
    2. 10 gallon, she has two hides, it is showing 80 in the dial thermostat.
    3. Every saturday
    4. Mouse fuzzies
    5. I use warm water submerge for 20 minutes and I feel it to make sure it dont feel cold anywhere before I feed her
    6. I use a pair of feeder tongs and dangle it making it move.
    7. Once a week

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Ball python not eating

Quote Originally Posted by Tattoobeauty90 View Post
    3. Every saturday
    4. Mouse fuzzies
    5. I use warm water submerge for 20 minutes and I feel it to make sure it dont feel cold anywhere before I feed her
    7. Once a week
    What are you using to check the warm hide surface temps ??

PS

Ignore what the thermostat says ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 12-02-2019 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

At that age and size, she should not be fasting.

​1. Are the hides identical and snug?

2. Do you have a temp gun/IR temp gun? If not, get one now. You can get cheap at home depot, etc. You need to know the ground temps.

3. What heating elements do you have running and what thermostat are you using?

3. Every saturday

​That's probably to much normally, but she needs to eat, so I would work on getting temps and humidity dialed in - again using regulated heating elements and an IR Temp Gun to get proper ground temps.

Hot side temps should be 88-90F. Ambient temps should be 81-84F. Cool side should be 78-80F. Hard to do in a 10G, but do your best.

Humidity should be 50-65%.

4. Mouse fuzzies

Too small. If she's used to mice, go to a small mouse/weaned mouse - 10-15G to start.

See below for proper defrosting techniques. 20 minutes in warm water for a small prey item can cook it. You also want it hot when you offer, but not before.

That's fine, but don't get in her face, remove her hide, etc. If she doesn't take it quickly, you can leave up to overnight.

7. Once a week

I wouldn't handle until she's eaten 3 meals straight again.

This is my step by step list on defrosting F/T rodents.

Others may do it differently and that's fine. This how I do it and it works for me.

STEPS FOR DEFROSTING F/T RODENTS/PREY

1. Put prey item(s) into appropriate size plastic bag (1 for each). I use Quart size ziplock bags up to a medium rat. NOTE: Bags are optional. Some people just throw the prey in the water. I like the bags, but you have to squeeze the air out of them.

2. Fill the container/storage box 3/4 of the way with room temp to slightly warm water. If you have a temp gun (which you should, so if you don't, get one), make sure the water is not hotter than 85-90F, or there about.

3. Put F/T prey item(s) in water. Cover (optional) and leave for an hour +/-. Less if smaller prey and longer if bigger prey (however longer does not hurt smaller prey).

4. After an hour, rotate/flip prey. If in plastic bags, they often will stay on whatever side you put them in on. So if mouse is on left side, turn to right side, etc.

5. Leave for another hour +/- for a TOTAL of about 2 hours (up to medium sized rat - longer if bigger prey - Large rats, for example).

6. Check that prey is defrosted totally through. Squeeze at different sections of the preys body. Should be cool/room temp to touch, but be soft with no cold spots. If hard (except for bone), in abdomen, for example, or cold, put back in water until room temp and soft.

7. Take prey out of the container/storage box and put aside. THEN FOLLOW STEPS 8-11 OR STEP 12

8. Fill container with hot water from tap. If using temp gun, water temp should be 110-130F, not more.

9. Drop prey item into water for 30 seconds +/-. If multiple prey items, do one at a time. You want each item hot when you offer.

10. Remove (if hot water, with tongs).

11. Dry as best as you can, and is quickly as you can, with paper towels. I dry with paper towels while I am walking from the bathroom where I defrost to the snake tanks. I kind of wrap the prey item up in them. It's ten feet, so by the time I get to the tanks, the prey is drier, but still warm.

12. If not using hot water, use a hairdryer to heat rat so it entices snake

13. Open tank and offer ASAP on tongs. Wiggle gently to make it appear alive.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-02-2019),LeeAnnT99 (12-02-2019),Tattoobeauty90 (12-02-2019),Zincubus (12-02-2019)

Thanks

2. 1 they are snug and very similar.
    2 I dont but it is my top priority when I get paid tomorrow
    3 I have a heating pad and thermostat/hygrometer dial

Thank you for your help I'm going to get the infrared scanner and see what it reads

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have a heating pad and thermostat/hygrometer dial
    That is called a THERMOMETER

A thermometer READS the temperatures

A thermostat CONTROLS the temperatures.

Dial thermometer are not accurate and can give you a false sense of security and a thermostat is a MUST.

Lots of research to do and the issue is 100% husbandry related.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

2. 1 they are snug and very similar.
    2 I dont but it is my top priority when I get paid tomorrow
    3 I have a heating pad and thermostat/hygrometer dial

Thank you for your help I'm going to get the infrared scanner and see what it reads
    One of these ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

I have found warming (drying) the thawed mouse with a hair dryer IN THE SAME ROOM works wonders. I followed the above instructions listed exactly and my girl eats every time. Note: when I hold the mouse in a paper towel, I often get a little blood seepage. This lets me know the mouse is completely thawed. Using the hair dryer in the same room, seems to stimulate my snake's appetite. I use the tongs and have the mouse do a little zombie dance across the tank and Lilia strikes and constricts around it almost within seconds. Also, I do feed her later at night in a room with very little light.

Also, I know I was offering food too often at first. If she didn't eat one night...I'd offer it again the next night. This was incorrect and I stopped doing that. But, since her first meal, she hasn't refused to eat.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LeeAnnT99 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-02-2019),Tattoobeauty90 (12-04-2019),Zincubus (12-02-2019)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast