Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,951

2 members and 2,949 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: White "alien heads" in snakes after eggs are cut

I have news!
    All looks good.
    I have 3 babies out and in the hands of experienced person who will continue with their care. 1 normal, 1 pastel and 1 super pastel so far. The super pastel is from one of the eggs I cut, and the other egg I cut finally has a snake head out. One more egg pip normally. I am waiting on 4 more eggs to pip and it looks like babies will be OK. It was probably that temp was not even across the floor of the box, so some incubated on stable but lower, and some on stable but higher temps. As long as they are healthy I am happy. No problems with kinks or umbilicus so far, tummies are nicely closed and babies look big and are active - even the two more that pip. The super pastel is a bit smaller but still nothing to severe.

Thank you all. I never incubated snake eggs so I was mortified I will kill them all.

Here is the picture of the 3 babies that are out of the egg.

https://ibb.co/Sm21XgV

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rosa For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-06-2019),dr del (12-06-2019)

Thanks

So another pip, and another super. I am waiting just on 3 more eggs.
    It looks like "white" alien heads were due to super pastels and pastels and me being a noob and never seen that before.
    Here is one pic of the eggs now. Egg in the middle is empty.

https://ibb.co/Vm14YzX

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa View Post
    So another pip, and another super. I am waiting just on 3 more eggs.
    It looks like "white" alien heads were due to super pastels and pastels and me being a noob and never seen that before.
    Here is one pic of the eggs now. Egg in the middle is empty.

https://ibb.co/Vm14YzX
    I'm so happy to hear they are all doing okay! They all look so cute! I hope the other 3 do well as well!
    - Cheyenne
    2.2 Felis catus - Jet, Jasper, Terra, Meadow
    0.1 Python reguis (Het Piebald) - Tiamat

Thanks

What beautiful babies!! Thank you for putting the time and care into saving these little guys!!

Thanks

Thank you so much!
    This morning I was so pleasantly surprised. Look at these goofballs Love them! Especially the backwards baby XD
    https://ibb.co/FhCnhWK
    (Sorry for bad quality box is e under a desk and I can not use flash)

I am now waiting for just one more egg to pip. The one close right corner. I even might cut that one tomorrow because it will be day 65 tomorrow.

So it looks like we will have a total of 4 pastels, 2 super pastels, 2 normal and a mystery It goes along that they are a result of breeding pastel f x pastel m so this should not be parthenogenesis. Which is even better because babies should be healthy.
    Hope the last baby is alive and it will be 100% hatch rate.

So if anyone is interested how I made this incubator. I used one plastic box , tote type, but transparent. It was small, just enough to house the eggs with about 7 cm space around them. I found some vermiculite as a substrate, but I also put sphagnum moss around them to tuck them in. I did this because eggs ware given to me in a bunch, already glued tight, so some were "levitating" off the substrate. I made everything damp. One hole was drilled (small hole 5mm in diameter) at the front side and one at the back side of the box. I drilled one hole at the lid of the box and put in the thermometer probe trough it. I pushed the probe in the substrate half way - not all the way to the bottom. I taped the hole around thermometer probe so it can not move. I put a heat pad underneath the box and connected it with the thermometer. I set the thermometer to 31'C and it was oscillating between 30-32'C during the whole incubation.

The issues I had is that on day 45 eggs began to look dimpled, as if they were dehydrated even thou there was a lot of condensation inside the box. I don't know why, and more moisture to the substrate did not help a lot.
    Also one big problem with this is that, when a snake hatches out, it can move the thermometer probe out of the substrate which will cause overheating. In my case I did not have a spare thermometer to make a separate bin for the hatched babies, so I had to wait for the guy that will take them to come. So I ended up sleeping on the floor, next to the incubator, and checking it constantly during day and night. Thinking about this it could be remedied by putting a cut out pvc pipe ring around the probe or something similar to block the snakes getting to the probe. But in my case I can't risk going out shopping for a pipe jut to come back to cooked babies, so I will have some more sleepless nights The probe could also be taped to the side half way in the substrate but in this stage I will have to leave the box open for too long and babies will cool down. I don't want to risk it.

So anyway. I think this is it. If I get, I will send one pic at the end of all babies out

Thanks

Well last post here.
    Last egg pipped last night. Transferred them all to new bin but they went just now to their new home
    This is the rest of the babies:
    https://ibb.co/N9s8crQ
    and another normal in the egg

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rosa For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (12-09-2019),Godzilla78 (12-10-2019),Kerimac (04-08-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12