Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,855

1 members and 2,854 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

scheming PVC mods at Casa de Crook

Still no response from either of my cage manufacturers regarding parts/panels for my existing cages. May just get a 4x8’ sheet of 3/8” pvc from Lowe’s and cut pieces to divide and reshelve my T25 and divide my 8’x32x24”. Would also leave enough extra material to make a two level level rack that could hold combos of 12/28qt sterilite tubs for hatchling/yearling grow out space.

If those tubs are indeed the same heights as they are listed online (will measure at
    Wal-Mart before committing to cutting and building) I might just do this. Could make all necessary cage amendments AND add a tiny rack all said and done for like $150-160? And that would include tubs, heat for the rack, as well as two 3D printed perches for the smaller tubs.

Would be white pvc but at this point I’m not sure I care? Pretty sure this would save enough $ to fund the cost of two 100watt pro-heat RHPs for the divided 8’ cage when they become needed and fully complete all changes needed with caging for every current critter in my care for the next several years.

Or I could use those savings to buy more snakes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Don't know how long you've been waiting for responses, but at this time of year, I'm betting they're buried with the crush of holiday orders to fill. Better customer
    service would be nice but for small operations, I'd bet they gravitate to the orders that provide them with maximum remuneration? And you sound pretty handy.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-01-2019)

Thanks

scheming PVC mods at Casa de Crook

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Don't know how long you've been waiting for responses, but at this time of year, I'm betting they're buried with the crush of holiday orders to fill. Better customer
    service would be nice but for small operations, I'd bet they gravitate to the orders that provide them with maximum remuneration? And you sound pretty handy.
    AP hasn’t responded to my emails in a year and a half lol. Facebook messaged my other cage guy and I can see that he read the message but no reply. I can’t say I blame them for wanting to fill more expensive/profitable requests though.

And yeah, I’m pretty handy. Also have access to a full woodshop in my department at the campus where I teach. Once materials are in hand I could have all of this done and built in an afternoon at most probably? Already made a cuts list online and can do it all in a single 4x8’ sheet of material.

Only hang up is that the parts/panels would be white and all of my cages are black. Could paint them I guess... I just like the idea of using unfinished straight up pvc for everything for cleaning and surface durability

Last edited by jmcrook; 12-01-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    That's terrible about AP not responding.

I see what you mean about black vs. white, & I personally I wouldn't want to paint them...I'm picturing the inevitable paint chipping off & showing white spots?

I think black cages look very cool, but I'd personally opt for white -to reflect more natural light in the cages for the snakes & also better for me to see what's going on.
    And the savings is nice too, but totally your call.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: scheming PVC mods at Casa de Crook

Also worth noting is that once the boas grow up enough in a few years or so, the divider and split shelves will come out of the T25, leaving only one white pvc panel divider in my 8’ cage. I’m gonna stick some white foam between cages just to get a visualization of how things might look. For the savings I could have I think I might be able to tolerate some white in my sea of black enclosures lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Best of luck with your new challenge.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-01-2019)

Thanks
    Measured 12 & 28 qt tubs at walmart... different heights. No dice on the 12/28qt combo rack plan

However there are 12.7qt and 25qt tubs that are within 1/8" of being the same height. 12.7 is just about 1/8" shorter. Possibly a hair less.

My concerns here: If shelves/levels are built at the same heights so as to be interchangeable, then with heat tape installed the 12.7qt tub would fit great. The 25qt would be a bit snug and wear on the heat tape over time. Could build with the 25qt height in mind and make a plexiglass or other thin material "shim" of sorts to minimize the gap at the top of the 12.7qt? If that makes sense...

Those that are rack users, am I over thinking the issue with the gap between rim of tub and top of shelf? 1/16 would be ideal in my mind as I would worry about tiny hatchlings squeezing their way out. Would be used as a grow out rack for my rockhampton coastal carpet 30grams and other later additions to the collection here over time. Maybe more carpets, maybe neonate boas.

Thanks

Discovered an option online to have this all done in full 1/2” black expanded pvc and cut exactly to size and shipped... for about 4x the cost of doing it myself hah!
    May actually consider it though. My ocd and valuation of my free time would be greatly relieved to make all necessary cage mods and builds executed in perfectly matching materials and all I’d need to do is some drilling/assembly and maybe have fun with a router to do recessed heat tape on the potential rack build.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Waterman (09-09-2020)

Thanks

Ordered a bunch of cut to size black pvc panels to divide and shelve the bigger cages. With my current teaching/work load I decided I’d pay a premium to have everything pretty much pre fab and save some headache. Will hold off on rack purchase or construction for a bit too. Just need to scratch part of the itch for new snake room gear

Thanks

Got my pvc parts in from Acme Plastics online. A little pricey but at least they match my cages and are cut exactly to the sizes I specified. Fits my T25 absolutely like a glove. Reptile basics rack should be here in a couple weeks too hopefully.
    Now to dial in temps and move boas around. I’m going to hold off putting the carpet in the divided T8, she’s just so tiny. She’ll go in the rack for a while once it’s here. Then I’ve got plenty of tub/enclosure space to plot future additions lol

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

67temp (12-20-2019),EL-Ziggy (12-17-2019),Gio (12-16-2019),nikkubus (06-18-2021),Reinz (12-20-2019),richardhind1972 (12-17-2019),wnateg (12-16-2019)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast