Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,729

0 members and 2,729 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: New Adult 900g 3 y/o very aggressive HALP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    900 grams seems really small for a 3 year old female - if she wasn't being fed the right size prey with the previous o and you came home and offered her a feast...could have put her into feast mode on top of all the new surroundings. I'd let her be for 10 days other than needed water changes etc and hopefully after a few more successful and good meals she will be calmer and sated
    Sorry, I've been MIA more traveling for the Holidays.

I thought 900g was small as well for a 3 y/o. You hit it spot on with the right size rodent. He told me he would just get was available. If they only had small ones he would buy multiple rats. The more I study this snake the more I believe this guy should have never owned a snake in the first place.

Another thing I forgot to mention in my first post is, the guy mentioned she was going through a shed.... It was very clear that the snake had already gone through the shed but was unsuccessful the last 3 sheds it went through.

When I got her home and was looking her over I had realized that there was 3 layers of stuck shed. Before I even put her in her new home she got a bath and she didn't seem to mind it. When I got her out of the bath I let her run through a towel for a few minutes and every layer came off with ease. But, I feel like this would have added to her stress as well.

This weekend I had to go back to Idaho and because the roads were so bad in Montana I stayed over night. Before I left Saturday morning I didn't open the doors to the snake den, and my wife said she forgot about opening the doors. I think that may have helped a bit. It makes sense to me anyway. She did say though that this morning way before I got home she opened the door, and my daughter (who is 3) was standing beside her being a toddler and the snake lunged at her. Then another light bulb went off after reading crowfingers post... (could have put her into feast mode on top of all the new surroundings.)

My "snake den" is a closet I built with three shelves and can hold up to 15 32 Qt Sterilite tubs. I put her on the bottom shelf between my other 2 albinos. That is, right at dog height, and toddler height. If she is under weight and she is over hungry and in feast mode than duh!!! There is to much activity going on in front of her and shes chomping at the bit for something to chomp on. So, i moved her to the top shelf where dogs or children cant see her at all. The other 9 snakes are used to this, and to much outside the tub activity doesn't seem to phase them much. The other 9 are all under 200g. Hatched mostly in August and September.

Anyways, I will be leaving her alone for a few days before I try to handle her again. I may see if she will take another meal in the next few days as well. I have enough 500g rats.... Just kidding, 50g rats that if she doesn't want it, then its no loss at the moment. But I have a feeling she will eat it down no problem.

Thank you all for your input it all is very helpful.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    It's way too late now but new arrivals should always be quarantined well away from your established snakes for at least 90 days, as otherwise you're risking having some collection-killing disease rip through and kill off everything.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-01-2019),jmcrook (12-01-2019)

Thanks

Re: New Adult 900g 3 y/o very aggressive HALP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    It's way too late now but new arrivals should always be quarantined well away from your established snakes for at least 90 days, as otherwise you're risking having some collection-killing disease rip through and kill off everything.

Thank you!!! I don't know why this slipped my mind. Right now I'm in collection mode. Since September I've acquired 10 Ball Pythons and a baby bearded dragon. The dragon is helping me train my 3 y/o patience and remaining calm. \

I am going to be getting atleast 3 more female adult proven breeders in the next couple of months so I'm ready to go for next breeding season.

Do you have any advice on how to quarantine multiple reptiles under one roof? This is going to especially important when I start forking out a few grand into these snakes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12