Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,449

0 members and 1,449 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New Adult 900g 3 y/o very aggressive HALP!!!

So, I went to Idaho and happened to stumble upon an adult fire fly who was in need of a new home. I handled it at the owners house and the snake was very calm and gentle. I decided to give the guy the $100 and take it off of his hands.

Pretty sure its a female. When I popped it two pointy things came out from the side but they were very short and no purple at all. I have a vet coming over in a couple weeks to confirm this for me and give all 10 of my noodles a good once over.

I've had it home for a week now, but the snake has taken a turn for having the desire to eat my face. Hasn't actually got me yet but have had 2 close calls.

Here is what I think....

They had this snake in a 150 gallon glass tank with nothing but cocoa husk and a cardboard box as a hide. From my years having snakes I have found that smaller enclosures and smaller hides tend to keep them in a better mood. So, when I set up my enclosures I tend to just use 32qt sterilite tubs for lager pythons with a medium reptile basic hide. This is what I put her in.

We had to travel 5 hours to get home. I have heated seats so I covered her with a blanket inside a sterilite tub.

The first full day home she took a 500g frozen/thawed rat. The previous owner told me she wouldn't eat frozen and he had never fed her anything but live. I don't like feeding live except to my hatchlings. Day 2 I let her rest and didn't touch her at all. Day 3 hit and she took a shot at my face. So I Just let her be for the rest of the day. I let her rest for a couple more days. A couple nights ago I lifted her lid and again straight at me. I didn't even reach in to get her out.

The guy also told me that he took her out of her enclosure to feed her. I know there's debate about this but i do the same thing been doing it for many years and have never had a problem with it. I called the guy to see what he was using as her feeding tub and guess what.... He used a 32qt sterilite tub. Huge face palm.....

Could she be in constant feed mode now? Today I wanted to feed her again so I put on my crocodile hunter game face on and pulled her out. No issues but her feed tub was beside her enclosure and it wasn't like I had to move her far. I had the rat ready to go and she knew what time it was. As soon as the rat breached the wall of her tub she had that rat. Shes feeding very violently and aggressively. Kind of like my hatchlings when they get a live hopper. After she ate I put her in her tub. I always let them crawl in there hides through my hands so level with there sub straight.

The thing is she went in her first half calm and easy. Halfway in she bolted like mad like something had spooked her.

Sorry for the book but what advise do you all have to help me get her back to normal?

Should I put he back into a glass tank?
    Should I just leave her be for a week or 2?
    Should I feed her closer together rather than every 5-7 days?
    Would it be best to just feed her in her enclosure?

I'm dumb founded I've never had a Ball Python with this sort of aggression.

Thanks

Re: New Adult 900g 3 y/o very aggressive HALP!!!

With my experience mind you I’ve only been keeping for 4 years but now have an established 6 ball pythons and feeding regularly. Smaller is better for males, least mine...my females don’t care cause there bigger. But I never move to feed, causes more stress for them and possibility for regurgitation. And when first getting them I wait a week or two before trying to feed..also I’m praying that it was a miss type that you fed a 500gram rat lol 10-15 % of body weight or thickest portion of body size for food is how I have typically fed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-30-2019),punkrawkah (11-29-2019),Sonny1318 (11-30-2019)

Thanks

O crap your right 50g rat. I've been keeping snakes well over 15 years and have never had a regurge. I keep them close to there enclosure and move them with minimal handling and proper support. My current vet and vets over the years have told me its fine as long as your gentile and you don't put them in head first.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    If this 3 y/o snake has been eating live for a while, & the guy wasn't breeding his own rodents (I'm assuming), it's quite possible that she's got some internal parasites
    ("worms") that are making her very hungry & even uncomfortable, & that's resulting in the "aggressive" behavior you are seeing. Personally, I'd get her stool checked
    by a vet A.S.A.P.

Could also be the fact she's in unfamiliar territory (even if her enclosure is identical, the air is different & so are other things, like the direction of light in the room, your
    scent, etc. and all that has her freaked out: snakes do NOT understand how their world just changed...you can't blame them for being spooked & defensive after being
    re-homed...it's stressful & confusing.

Moving a snake into a side cage for feeding is also inviting a bite, as they're still in "feed mode" for a while, but that's on you, it's your choice.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-30-2019 at 12:33 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

LeeAnnT99 (12-01-2019),punkrawkah (12-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    I don't recommend feeding live either: this also makes a snake always on guard to do battle with rodents. Rats are formidable opponents & sooner or later your snake WILL get injured...better to prevent this than deal with vet bills, infections & even the premature death of your pet...don't say no one told you.
    And seriously, many snakes become calmer pets to handle when fed pre-killed or f/t rodents. They still pounce & love to eat, just less feisty.

"Should I put her back into a glass tank?"
    "Should I just leave her be for a week or 2?"
    "Should I feed her closer together rather than every 5-7 days?"
    "Would it be best to just feed her in her enclosure?"

Glass tank: personally I prefer glass, but most here do not; in any case, I don't think that's likely to be the issue.

Leave for a week or 2? Kinda late to ask, but yes, all new snakes (especially adults that don't need to eat so often) should be allowed time to settle in for a couple weeks without handling or feeding. Never too late to give her some "space" though.

Feed closer together rather than every 5-7 days? No way, you do not want your snake regurgitating (it takes TIME to digest rodents, especially rats) & incidentally, feeding a 3 year old (adult) snake every 5-7 days is already too often. That might also be putting her in a constant "combat" mode.

Feed in enclosure? YES Unless you enjoy bites...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-30-2019 at 12:51 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

LeeAnnT99 (12-01-2019),punkrawkah (12-01-2019)

Thanks
    Chances are it is very stressed. You drove 5 hours in a car then put it in a new home. Added stress can make a snake grumpy and defensive. I was giving a corn snake to a friend of mine a few weeks ago. It was extremely chill and never acted afraid or defensive in any way. When I dropped it off at my friends it tried to bite him repeatedly. A few weeks later and it’s back to being calm and easy going. I’d leave it alone for a week or so.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AzJohn For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-30-2019),Bogertophis (12-01-2019),EL-Ziggy (11-30-2019),LeeAnnT99 (12-01-2019),Zincubus (11-30-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AzJohn View Post
    Chances are it is very stressed. You drove 5 hours in a car then put it in a new home. Added stress can make a snake grumpy and defensive. I was giving a corn snake to a friend of mine a few weeks ago. It was extremely chill and never acted afraid or defensive in any way. When I dropped it off at my friends it tried to bite him repeatedly. A few weeks later and it’s back to being calm and easy going. I’d leave it alone for a week or so.
    ^ THIS ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Glass tank, AP T8, or larger tub wold be my first move. She came from a very large tank, 150 gallon.
    Now, my next move 90% will say I'm wrong but it works for me. Forced handling, pick her up keeping the head away from your face. An handle her for twenty minutes or so. Put her back for three hours an then take her out again. She'll learn your not going to eat her in a few days.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

punkrawkah (12-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Glass tank, AP T8, or larger tub wold be my first move. She came from a very large tank, 150 gallon.
    Now, my next move 90% will say I'm wrong but it works for me. Forced handling, pick her up keeping the head away from your face. An handle her for twenty minutes or so. Put her back for three hours an then take her out again. She'll learn your not going to eat her in a few days.
    I think the only disagree with this is that it's too soon. Shes not comfortable with her environment yet, so shes scared in the cage, shes scared when you take her out, then scared when shes put back.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-01-2019),punkrawkah (12-01-2019)

Thanks
    900 grams seems really small for a 3 year old female - if she wasn't being fed the right size prey with the previous o and you came home and offered her a feast...could have put her into feast mode on top of all the new surroundings. I'd let her be for 10 days other than needed water changes etc and hopefully after a few more successful and good meals she will be calmer and sated
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-01-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast