Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 955

5 members and 950 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Black Friday Shopping

Something I would like to share before the sale is over, normally by the Dec 2nd or end of 1st week of Dec, depending on the ad. Prices may differ in your area. I compared prices from Petsmart, Petco, Pet Supermarket, Pet Supplies Plus, Chewy and Amazon. Here is what I found:

Large dog beds now discounted to $20 at Petsmart. They are huge, about 30" across. If you have big dogs like mine (About 75 lb or so), this may fit your dog. Lightweight, pillow sized bed with a removable cover for washing. It may not be a good bed for senior pets with arthritis because it really is just a large pillow with no support. I also bought one for my cats and they like them too.

Petsmart and the other chain stores don't have as good as a deal when it comes to food, treats and toys. This is where Chewy shines.

Chewy has some expensive brands like Wellness Complete Health and Wellness Core on sale at 25% off from the auto ship price, which is a few dollars less than the normal price. For Wellness Complete Health, you can save to about $10 for a 30 lb bag which is unheard of. Expensive brands like these are almost never on sale at such a discount, and I am always searching for deals as 1 bag only last about 3 weeks with my 2 dogs. Dehydrated dog food from Spot Farms are also at 50% off. You can cancel the autoship after you check out but you still get to keep your discount.

Chewy has treats including milkbones and Himalayan cheese treats at 30-50% off. I just purchased a 8.5 lb of milkbones for about $4. The sales are better for the dogs in this section.

Many of the chain stores have bogos or buy 3 get 1 free sale for toys. Some don't even have a sale for the popular brand like Nylabones in their store. If your dog is a chewer, nylabones are great. Chewy has them at 30-50% off. Nylabones is affordable but they can get expensive over time as the toy needs to be replaced. And for big dogs that like to chew, a large chewable Nylabone can get pricey. So I am so glad that Chewy has this sale going.

Petsmart has the best deal on clay cat litter, Tidy Cat. The other chains also provide a good deal on other clay litter like Fresh Step.

No one including Chewy listed the non-clay cat litter up for sale, such as Naturally Fresh. That is a bummer for cat owners like me who uses alternative cat litter.

The chain stores has a limited good deal for exotic pets, including small animals and reptiles. If you were to buy a live pet (Please dont, not from these chain stores), most of them are being discounted at 50%, or bogo, or reduced price. However, you can probably get a better deal buying from a reputable breeder online for reptiles (A lot of breeders are holding a Black Friday sale too). The supplies section is not any better. The popular sale that they are advertising is for lights (Bogo or buy 1 get 1 50% off), reptiles tank kits or fish tanks at $1 per gallon (Usually limited to 40 to 55gallon). The reptile tank kits are still more expensive than if you had purchased the items that you need individually so it is not worth it. The lights sale stretches out past Xmas and the sale returns several times a year so that is nothing special. Fish tanks may be a good option for those starting out small, but you can practically pick one up for free at a yard sale or Craigslist if you are patient and diligent to look for one. Necessities for small animals like hay and pellets depends on the brand. Oxbow, the more popular brand, is usually not listed at a discount that Chewy cannot beat. Chewy does have Oxbow Natural Selects pellets at 50%, but not the regular Oxbow pellets. Bunny owners, this is important because changing food can cause issues with its sensitive gut flora, so unless you have a strong reason to do so, I would suggest staying with what works for your bunny. Hay is not on sale so that is another bummer. Otherwise, Chewy and Amazon are the worst when it comes to selection and Black Friday discounts for exotics, while the chain stores are not that great either but may have a few useful items.

I'm sure I probably missed a lot of other popular pet stores, like Tractor Supply (best place to pick up pine pellets as cat litter or bunny litter). My closest TS store is like 40 miles out there so the cost of driving vs the savings was not worth it. Imo Black Friday is not just for us humans too, there are good deals for those with pets to stock up or just another excuse to spoil our pets. I personally hold off shopping for my humans until mid December when sales for toys begins to ramp up. Happy Shopping!
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 11-29-2019 at 09:46 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

wnateg (11-29-2019)

Thanks

Re: Black Friday Shopping

FYI chewy is owned my petsmart so PRICE MATCH LIKE A MOFO lol I do consistently and they know at the three I got to that they gonna have to check me out on a separate register cause this is gonna take a bit cause of the amount of different species of critters I have lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    i just did a little shopping on amazon and not b/c it was black friday but b/c i am addicted. just got a new rabbit and needed supplies. also did hub's xmas shopping. i did stop by a local apiary and got my parents a nice gift basket.
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Herpstat Sale

Spyder Robotics have a 10% off sale on all of their thermostats until 12/6. If you have been thinking about switching over to a Herpstat, now is a good time to save some money to do so!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

dr del (12-03-2019)