Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,266

4 members and 3,262 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Can’t get tank hot/humid enough

So I just got my first snake (a baby ball python) and got him a 40 gallon glass tank; I know it’s big for a baby, but I put two hides, a branch and a fake plant in there and I’m planning on putting in more as soon as possible. I got a uth and only realized after I got it set up that it doesn’t actually raise the temp by more than 2-10 degrees. After realizing the tank wasn’t getting nearly hot enough, I also got a heat lamp. This was all before getting the snake. The whole tank now gets up to about 80°F, but I can’t get the hotspot to 90°F.

I’ve also been having some issues with humidity. I got a hygrometer, and it’ll say the humidity is at around 30-40, so I’ll mist the tank, it’ll go up a bunch (sometimes too much); but then an hour later I’ll check again and the whole thing will repeat. I have my water bowl between the heat mat and heat lamp so it doesn’t get too hot, but maybe will evaporate faster/more?

Anyone know what I should do?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Do you have a thermostat regulating the UTH so it can't overheat? It will get the glass over it up to 130*F - hot enough to burn and kill your snake - but it will not raise the ambient air temperature. You would need an IR thermometer or a temperature gun to measure the temperature of the glass over it.
    Last edited by bcr229; 11-28-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Thanks
    What are you using to take the temps?

What are you using for bedding? Coco substrate will help with the humidity. Although nothing will make it that great in an aquarium especially with heat lamps. The more heat lamps and the higher you have to run them, the more it sucks the humidity out.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Insulate the sides (outside) of the tank, cheap foam. If the top is wire, cover most of it. Wrap some foam or hard board with foil. A bigger or another UTH will help.

Good luck with your new

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

dr del (11-28-2019)

Thanks
    I have a glass 20 L tank with a screen top. I went to Lowes and had them cut a piece of plexi glass to sit on the top. I left enough cut out to leave the "hatch" uncovered. This gives ventilation and so far it has held humidity for me. The plexi glass was around $20.00 and I bought a $2.00 cabinet nob as well. Ill try to post a picture.....

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Can’t get tank hot/humid enough

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest View Post
    I have a glass 20 L tank with a screen top. I went to Lowes and had them cut a piece of plexi glass to sit on the top. I left enough cut out to leave the "hatch" uncovered. This gives ventilation and so far it has held humidity for me. The plexi glass was around $20.00 and I bought a $2.00 cabinet nob as well. Ill try to post a picture.....
    This ..^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro