Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,114

1 members and 3,113 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question Ball Python with Shedding Issues

Hi there guys!

So back in June I got my first ball python, I already have 2 snakes before her (A boa & corn snake) and I have never once, have had problems with their sheds. They normally shed in one piece however with my Ball Python, she’s she’s twice since I’ve had her in my care and it’s always in pieces.
    When I got her, I wanted her because she did have some health issues. She gets dehydrated if I don’t do soaks every so often to help her regain some hydration.

What can I do to help her with a full shed. She has the same set up at the others, heat mat, eco earth as the bottom substrate and forest floor substrate on the top. Many hides and climbing to help loosen shed if needed and a larger corner dish. Every other day or so I spray the cage a small amount and she has a small, over head light on her as well.
    What am I doing that isn’t insuring her a full shed?

It makes me so sad because like I said, my other snakes shed with no problem. However with her, she doesn’t. Any tips or helpful ideas are appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Ball Python with Shedding Issues

Do you have a hygrometer in her tank? What is her humidity at? When mine goes into shed I make sure to bump humidity up to 70% or more at least for part of each day (sometimes it is hard to keep it that high) until he sheds. Providing a humidity box may help to. You can search YouTube for how to make an easy humidity box. You shouldn't be having to soak her at all if her humidity is right. Humidity should be between 50 and 60% normally and higher during shed.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I know that it is commonly suggested for bearded dragons to get hydrated by soaking through their cloaca. If you are following the same idea, keep in mind 1. Bearded dragons rarely drink because they are very good at retaining hydration as desert animals 2. A reptile vet had experimented with a bearded dragon by soaking the lizard to see if it hydrates the lizard. It did not. It was only 1 lizard so take it with a grain of salt 3. Snakes actually drink water when they need it. I have seen snakes drink way more times than I ever do of with my beardie. Snakes gets the majority of their hydration from their prey.

So idk how you could tell your snake was dehydrated, if it was feeding and a water bowl is provided?

Secondly, soaking too much robs the oil from the scales that the snake need for shedding. You wait to soak after 24 hours when shedding had finished.

What is your humidity %? 50-60% daily and bump it up to 70% or so when you see signs of shedding. A humid hide can be made with a plastic container with lid and wet moss or papertowels.

Have items in the tank for him to rub against. Like small bricks or rocks, bark, etc. Something with a rough surface helps.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    What is your humidity in the enclosure?

Ball pythons, boas and corn snakes are all different species and require different husbandry.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Ball Python with Shedding Issues

I spray their vivs whenever I'm doing water changes and whenever I think about it but when mine go into shed I spray the viv EVERY day then as soon as their eyes clear and they get their colour back I start spraying a few times each day ... You'll probably find the messy , rolled up lump of skin UNDER his hide afterwards ) .
    Note they get their colour back and the eyes clear a few days BEFORE the skin actually comes off .

* I’ve seen suggestions that a quick soak STRIPS the oils from the snake’s scales but I’ve never seen one piece of evidence to substantiate those claims .. many , many snakes choose to soak and others spend their time in water / swamps in the wild sooool.
    Many keepers have bowls of water in the vivs to let them soak .

I even had a Rhino-nosed Ratsnake that spent half of his time in water ( the rest up in branches) and it even ATE underwater !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro