Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,229

1 members and 3,228 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

2019 failures turned into 2020s successes

Hello everyone. After an extensive amount of time spend learning everything there is to learn about breeding BP, I hatched my first clutch on Sept 6th 2019. I wanted to thank everyone on this forum for helping me along this journey, I couldnt have done it without the expertise of the awesome people on here. The mom turned out 6 good eggs in which 3 hatched and survived. All three have been sexed/eating well and I am now moving onto my second season breeding, I couldnt be more excited.

Now, I prided myself before starting this endeavour to know everything I could before starting it as I thought it to be irresponsible and cruel to "figure it out as I go". I hate that mentality, especially when dealing with a living creature. I see it far to often on the internet. At no point during this did I feel I was in over my head or didnt know the answer to the next step in the process.

I've waiting a few months to ask this mostly because of how bad I feel about it (even though I know its nature) but I lost 3 of those eggs. After pulling them out they look to have gone full term, no birth defects and nothing I could tell went wrong in the incubation process. Temps were stable, no mold, condensation or accidents. Here's were I think I may have failed. I had two of the eggs pip overnight on me (Sun). I was leaving Monday to go camping and wouldnt return until the Wednesday. When I had returned home one more baby pipped and one had fully crawled out of her egg. The three eggs that didnt pip were all died. If I had cut all the eggs after the first had pipped (which my instincts were telling me to do) would they have survived? The only thing I can think of is they drowned in the eggs. That felt bad to say. I have also seen videos online of people cutting eggs before one even pips (very reputable breeders might I add). How do they know? How can you be so sure that the eggs dont need another few days to develop? This year I will be cutting the entire clutch when the first one pips but what do you guys thing?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Weremey59; 11-26-2019 at 01:26 PM.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: 2019 failures turned into 2020s successes

Quote Originally Posted by Weremey59 View Post
    The three eggs that didnt pip were all died. If I had cut all the eggs after the first had pipped (which my instincts were telling me to do) would they have survived?
    Half the clutch didn't make it. That is not a pipping issue. 50% egg failure in my experience is usually due to a temp. spike/drop, an egg positioning/manipulation issue resulting in late-term death, or a lethal genetic combination. If you cut those three eggs that died you would not have changed the outcome--if they did need more time to develop you would have reduced their odds of survival.

As for breeders: Reputable and Patient are two separate things.
    *.* TNTC

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

So many things could have gone wrong with those eggs so I can't give you an answer. Only thing I can say is make sure your incubator doesn't have temp spikes and no stale air hot spots.Also helps to have two thermostats in case one fails. Find what egg tub setup works best for you, I use the egg crate/light diffuser method with perilite, and cling wrap for the set it and forget it "substrate less incubation" and have not lose a single fertile egg since I started. I check on my thermostats daily and look at the eggs from time to time through incubator window. I don't really start the egg watch until day 50 or so when I notice a lot of deflation/dimples. I start checking daily at day 59 for pips, when the first pips I cut the rest (more out of curiosity than anything). Find what works for you, if you cut after first one pips you should not have any issues unless you cut the snake or spill the fluid in the egg (you can refill it).

Thanks
    Ok in that case here is my incubator. I my temps did fluctuate however it never once left the 87-89 degree guideline. Moisture got on an egg a few weeks in however I got it off with a qui-tip. I didnt open the incubator often (maybe every 3-4 days) only to check humidity and make sure nothing was molding, rotting, etc.

This was one of the eggs that didnt survive and one that did. That moisture is on the outside of the tub.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Is the heat source a fish tank water heater? If the heat source is under the tub some eggs might have been exposed to higher temperatures. People I know who use a cooler with similar setup have a few computer fans to circulate the air just above the water line and don't open it until the 40 to 50 day mark to keep it as stable as possible. Every time you open that type of incubator you lose a lot of heat and the heat needs to crank up to reach your desired temp again when you close it.

Thanks
    Yes fish tank heater, the thermostat was built into it. I had two thermometers to double check all the temps. I didnt have any fans in the cooler as the atmosphere was nearly 100% humidity and I doubt the fans would survive that. I did however have an aquatic wave maker in the bottom to keep the water moving and eliminate any hotspots. The cooler and incubation box had some 1/4 holes drilled along the brim to keep some fresh air in it.

Thanks
    Just my opinion, but this is why I’m not a fan of the cheap cooler as an incubator idea.

I wish u the best of luck and I hope u get it all figured out.
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Sorry to sound so blunt but I also think your issue was the incubator. You may want to try something different or you will be asking the same question next year.

Thanks
    Well I set up an entire topic last year asking about incubators and this was liked by the majority. What would you do then? I have a good thermostat for my rack that I can run a probe off of.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'm no incubating expect but I can tell you what worked for me after building 4 different incubators. Before I turned a large wine cooler with a false wall into an incubator I had experimented a cooler incubator. I tried water and fish tank heater method but I lost a few eggs with it. What worked best out of all the DIY cooler incubators I tried was using heat tape at the bottom, PVC pipe to create a floor with a light difuser, two small computer fans to circulate the air, a closed egg tub with press and seal and water bottle on the side to retain heat. Don't open the cooler incubator for at least 50 days, if you set the egg tub up correctly you will be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast