Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,140

2 members and 3,138 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Axanthic ball python?

When did the Axanthic BP first appear. As I recall the first ones were the Jolliffs,( in the 70's ?) followed by VPI, TSK, and lastly the Marcus Janye ( MJ /canadian version). I read that the genes don't work with each other. Checked out Morph Market, and the VPI and TSK seem to be leading the pack. The last 3 have other genes in the mix, mostly the pied and albino. Why did the Jolliff version fall out of favor, with VPI and TSK taking off. Do all the versions "fade" out as the snake ages or does one hold it's colors better than the others?
    I had a Jolliff het male back in the early 80,s, but couldn't find a mate for him, het or visual. Thinking of getting back into the mix but want more info on them.

Thanks,
    Mike

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Axanthic ball python?

I don't know the exact history of the Axanthic lines.

I do know that when I was picking a line to work with: VPI was common, SK (TSK) was uncommon, Joliff was rare. At the time there were several large breeders using VPI and there were many nice specimens for sale.

Over time breeders dedicated to TSK have released higher quality specimens for sale. Quality of Axanthic specimens of TSK vs. VPI can only be compared now on a case by case basis for color retention. Joliff still remains present, but, is not bred to the extent of the other two lines so acquiring a compatible Axanthic Joliff Het Morph to advance a breeding project is more of a challenge.

Note: Due to the VPI lower initial cost over the years there have been an increasing amount of 'get-rich-quick' breeders producing VPI Axanthic ball pythons without regard for quality. The influx of lower quality VPI Axanthics makes TSK appear to be of higher quality and have an overall better reputation. If I was starting my breeding projects over from scratch at this point I would seriously consider picking TSK over VPI.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

dr del (11-28-2019)