Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,838

1 members and 1,837 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

My snakes haven't gone into shed in months???

I'm always so grateful for this site, y'all have helped this newer snake owner so much, hopefully you guys can help me again! None of my snakes have shed in like 2 months, but they're all growing at a good pace, and they're all pretty young, ranging from 3 months to a year old. In fact, one of my snakes has gained about 100 grams since she last shed but no signs of going into shed? I thought they were supposed to shed every 4-6 weeks, or am I wrong? And humidity is at about 60% right now, too!

Thanks
    Every snake grows and sheds at their own pace, so it's probably normal. 4-6 weeks is an average for young BPs, but there are also plenty who fall outside of that range. My juvenile BP sheds every 2 months. Just make sure you are feeding them the correct sized prey (10-15% of their weight, prey as wide as the widest part of the snakes body). Once a snake has reached full size it will also shed less, I have heard of some adults only shedding a few times a year.

Also:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: My snakes haven't gone into shed in months???

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Every snake grows and sheds at their own pace, so it's probably normal. 4-6 weeks is an average for young BPs, but there are also plenty who fall outside of that range. My juvenile BP sheds every 2 months. Just make sure you are feeding them the correct sized prey (10-15% of their weight, prey as wide as the widest part of the snakes body). Once a snake has reached full size it will also shed less, I have heard of some adults only shedding a few times a year.

Also:
    It varies on how often you feed them, the size and also the species of snakes. More so because some grow faster than others because their metabolism is higher. If you're snakes are healthy, eating and defecating regularly then I wouldn't worry.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)