Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,915

1 members and 2,914 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: what to do about lower ambient temps for a week while home for thanksgiving?

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I don't like to leave mine unmonitored for more than 48 hours, but I also have retics that like to dump their water bowls too.

Is there anyone who could look in on your snake mid-week for you, even just to check the water?
    This is what i am worried about as well. I have never left him even overnight so i would be worried leaving him for that long. anyone i would be comfortable asking is also going home for thanksgiving so no one could check on him unfortunately. He has never dumped his water bowl and i doubt he could drink it all while i’m gone but it still makes me worried since i just don’t know what could happen. he would also be missing a meal which i know he will be fine without but with that and everything combined it just makes me uneasy. is it better to leave him completely unmonitored for about 6 days or in lower cold side temps but with me? this is my first snake and reptile in general so i am completely new to situations regarding ectotherms so i really appreciate any help.

Thanks
    Eveyone will have differing temperatures this time of year so make sure you have everything diled in before you leave. If in doubt having someone stop by to check on your snakes cant hurt, just make sure they know what their doing and can easily get ahold of you in case of an emergency.

If you are leaving for the holidays I would recommend having a good idea of how much water your snake typically goes through in the amount of time you plan to be away and make sure it's in their enclosure, extra water is better than less as long as it doesn't spill. If your worried about spills put something heavy in the bottom of the water container to prevent spillage, make sure the heavy item is sanitary and won't leach into the water.

It's important to remember that water evaporates so putting two water dishes the same size in won't double the time your snake has water necessarily, you might come home to two empty bowls because they both evaporated at a consistent rate. To prevent this add larger deeper bowls but again secure them so they do not tip over, this is just as bad. With a little foresight and preparation you can leave for extended periods of time with your snakes safe and happy at home. They might be a little hungry when you get back but they'll be ok.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ba11er For This Useful Post:

miatb (11-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: what to do about lower ambient temps for a week while home for thanksgiving?

Quote Originally Posted by miatb View Post
    This is what i am worried about as well. I have never left him even overnight so i would be worried leaving him for that long. anyone i would be comfortable asking is also going home for thanksgiving so no one could check on him unfortunately. He has never dumped his water bowl and i doubt he could drink it all while i’m gone but it still makes me worried since i just don’t know what could happen. he would also be missing a meal which i know he will be fine without but with that and everything combined it just makes me uneasy. is it better to leave him completely unmonitored for about 6 days or in lower cold side temps but with me? this is my first snake and reptile in general so i am completely new to situations regarding ectotherms so i really appreciate any help.
    It really depends on how badly you want to "share" your pet with family or friends while visiting? Also, do THEY have any dogs or cats that may pose a risk TO your snake, like when you're distracted elsewhere during the holiday? It's not only the cooler home temperatures that are risky. And if you take your snake make sure he travels safely too, in an insulated carrier w/ appropriate warmth.

I wouldn't worry too much about leaving most snakes (including BPs) home alone for a week, as even if they spilled their water bowl, they'd not die of thirst in a week...not even close. Less risk to leave home alone, IMO, but it's up to you if you want to take him along or leave him. Another alternative would be a pet-sitter- many vets will board, if you're that worried about him home alone.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-22-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

miatb (11-22-2019)

Thanks

I've left my snakes home for 4 days while me and the daughter took a trip, No issues at all

My local vet will board snakes, no idea what the cost is though

My friends and family won't get near the snakes, so no help there
    Last edited by Gocntry; 11-22-2019 at 04:59 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

miatb (11-22-2019)

Thanks

okay thank you everyone for your advice. i think i will leave him home then. i was planning on taking him partly for my own peace of mind but if leaving him home is better for him then that’s what i will do. i will definitely be worried about him but i’ll try to remember everyone’s comments so thanks!

Thanks
    I have left my snakes alone for 5 or so days. I don't feed for at least a week before I leave and put in a second water dish. My sets up are all stable with back up thermostats.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattEvans For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-22-2019),cfd701 (11-22-2019),miatb (11-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    FWIW I'm assuming that your "apartment" is off-campus housing and not a dorm, right? Otherwise I could see taking him home as a test, because you'd be away much longer at Christmas break.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

miatb (11-22-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    FWIW I'm assuming that your "apartment" is off-campus housing and not a dorm, right? Otherwise I could see taking him home as a test, because you'd be away much longer at Christmas break.
    no my apartment is not a dorm but i will be going home for christmas where i will have to take him with me but by then i will have a setup with either a space heater for my room or a che or something but by christmas i will definitely have something to keep the heat up. i was mainly asking if it would be okay to take him for a shorter trip where i wouldn’t have time to set up something ideal. but i do still live with my parents when i am not at school so i am going to set up something there i just have not had the opportunity to.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to miatb For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-22-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12