Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,849

1 members and 1,848 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Preparing for emergencies?

Hi everyone,

A little over an hour ago we had a carbon monoxide scare. Levels weren't dangerous and we were allowed back inside, but while packing up our cats to evacuate (fire department told us to leave until they could check it out), we realized we weren't prepared to evacuate our two snakes (if the levels had been higher I would've gotten them out, by the way--it just would not have been anywhere close to ideal for the night. Didn't want to stress them out until we knew what was going on, and our own symptoms were very mild). It's very cold in our state this time of year.

What can we do to be prepared if this type of emergency happens again? How do you safely, securely, and warmly transport your animals in a situation where you'd have to leave quickly, and possibly be away overnight? Thanks.
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python
    And their 6 hatchlings (:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    So glad you're all OK. How did you find out? This sounds like it was more than just your own alarm going off. (mine never has)

What I'd suggest is to have either ice chests (insulated) or sturdy styro-foam shipping boxes on hand, enough to hold whatever reptiles you have without overcrowding
    or piling on top of each other. (you can put several together but it's best if they're similar size) You also need cloth bags or pillow cases (they don't have to be fancy-
    you can even get some from a thrift store- just make sure there's no holes) and some longer twist ties (or zip ties) & rubber bands. If you keep these supplies together
    & near your snakes, in a panic you'll save a lot of time. Also keep either chemical heat packs or empty plastic bottles (to put hot water in) for keeping warmth in the
    "ice chests". Each snake needs to be bagged separately...it's a real hassle to tie a knot in cloth bags (the "old way") so I like to first use a twist wire to close the bag,
    then double that part over itself & secure with a sturdy rubber band. Never had a snake get loose. I've used jars of hot water in a pinch to keep my snakes comfy in
    their "ice boxes" during a 4 day power outage (ice storm), changing the water about every 8-9 hours. All my snakes were fine...none got sick or anything as a result.
    I had a gas hot water heater so I had hot water available, but chemical heat packs would be good to have on hand too...just remember they can get hot, make sure the
    snakes aren't in contact, & they will move around within their bags.

BTW, I've also moved across country with snakes, & anytime they're transported by car, they are bagged & ride inside ice chests (styro-
    foam) boxes. Open periodically for air, put a small hole in the box for air circulation, or tape a small wad in the opening of the box so it
    doesn't fully seal closed. It's important both for excessive cold or protection from heat too.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-22-2019 at 02:49 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

agardner810 (01-09-2020),lizzylizard (11-22-2019),o.r hill (11-30-2019),Sonny1318 (11-22-2019)

Thanks

Re: Preparing for emergencies?

Fortunately our alarm did go off, I was surprised it detected the levels we got (17 PPM). Thank you so much for the advice!
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python
    And their 6 hatchlings (:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lizzylizard For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-22-2019)

Thanks
    I got my alarm because of my older natural gas central heating, which I finally replaced about a month ago. Still a good idea to have an alarm anyway though.

Thanks
    i would have 2 tubs ready to go with inactivated handwarmers inside. you can always make do with that later i'd think.
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SilentHill For This Useful Post:

lizzylizard (11-22-2019)

Thanks
    Michigan here. I’ll use worse case scenario and say it happens in dead of winter.

power outage- their soon to be in their own insulated small room. So plan there is generator + space heater. My generator is big enough to run their heating equipment plus the space heater and my sump pump, lights, and some to spare. Eventually plan on getting it connected to my house to where I can power my furnace and such with it easily. It’s a 7000watt generator.

carbon monoxide- I have a couple large tubs. Pack them on there. Straight out to running vehicle with the heat on...then off to
    the hotel or friends or where ever we stay. The tubs I use can be locked and securely shut.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Waterman For This Useful Post:

lizzylizard (11-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I have a cooler, big enough to hold all four of my snakes. Enough pillow cases, 2 each in case one gets soiled. I drilled two small holes that can be covered with duct tape, depending on the temps. And at least a dozen hand warmers. This way if needed I can keep them safe for a couple days if necessary. I have some photos in my gallery. ✌️😉
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

lizzylizard (11-22-2019)

Thanks

When you say hand warmers, do you mean the air activated ones, or the ones that you snap and chemically activate that are reusable? I'm setting up an emergency box right now and all of the reusable ones seem super expensive ($20 for 2)!
    - Cheyenne
    2.2 Felis catus - Jet, Jasper, Terra, Meadow
    0.1 Python reguis (Het Piebald) - Tiamat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OkamiFlautist View Post
    When you say hand warmers, do you mean the air activated ones, or the ones that you snap and chemically activate that are reusable? I'm setting up an emergency box right now and all of the reusable ones seem super expensive ($20 for 2)!
    Really that's up to you...but I keep on hand the disposable single-use kind. Re-usable @ 2 for $20 doesn't sound expensive to me... Not for saving my pet's lives.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Really that's up to you...but I keep on hand the disposable single-use kind. Re-usable @ 2 for $20 doesn't sound expensive to me... Not for saving my pet's lives.
    I'm mainly comparing to prices I've seen in the states - I've seen packs of 10 for $20 online sometimes which seems amazing to me!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    - Cheyenne
    2.2 Felis catus - Jet, Jasper, Terra, Meadow
    0.1 Python reguis (Het Piebald) - Tiamat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast