Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,727

0 members and 2,727 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Proper Heating of My 10 Gallon Tank

Hello.
    I got my first snake (ball python), about 2 months ago. We keep her in a 10 gallon glass tank with a screen lid (I always have a towel half of the lid for humidity reasons.) We have a heat mat under the hide on one side, and a 50 watt bulb above the hide on the other side. We have been starting to handle her more, but have been noticing she is pretty cold when we take her out. Her thermometer which is directly in the middle of the tank, a couple inches of the bottom usually always reads 80 degrees Fahrenheit. She is usually under the lamp side hide. Is she too cold? Should I buy a 75 or 100 watt bulb and that will be sufficient? She seems very healthy. She eats well, and has shed once since getting her. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would like the best conditions possible for my sweet girl.
    Thank you so much!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    Is your heat pad on a thermostat? One like so: https://www.amazon.com/Century-Therm...dp/B01I15S6OM/

If not, you should get one asap. A lot of the heat pads can get well over 100 degrees and be too hot! Place the thermostat probe between the heat pad and glass (on the outside).

You also need a temp gun to measure the surface temp of the enclosure from the inside. One like this: https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase.../dp/B00DMI632G

So you can get an accurate measurement of what you need to set the thermostat at.

By touch is not a good way to make decisions, as snakes are cold blooded and we're 98.6 degrees, so naturally, they're usually going to feel cold to us.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor