Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,093

3 members and 3,090 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humidity levels

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Humidity levels

Quote Originally Posted by dcparham View Post
    Does anyone recommend a mister, or humidifier? I just bought the "Zoo Med ReptiRain Automatic Misting Machine" and it may put too much water in my Ball Python's enclosure. It literally sprays water, not like a fog. Should i get a humidifier? Is that even necessary? Perhaps i should simply cover the screen on top at least half way, and just keep a couple of water bowls. Opinions, anyone?
    https://www.mistking.com

The basic setup supports 10 tanks. I run it on my two Rhacodactylus tanks and they need really high humidity - 80% average or so or higher.

One thought is until the line is pressurized, the mistking sprays water too. Then mist from then on. Do you prime your system?

I know nothing about Zoomeds system, but mistking has you prime it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Re: Humidity levels

Quote Originally Posted by dcparham View Post
    Does anyone recommend a mister, or humidifier? I just bought the "Zoo Med ReptiRain Automatic Misting Machine" and it may put too much water in my Ball Python's enclosure. It literally sprays water, not like a fog. Should i get a humidifier? Is that even necessary? Perhaps i should simply cover the screen on top at least half way, and just keep a couple of water bowls. Opinions, anyone?

If you have a screen top and have not covered most of it, that is first priority, no matter what you do to get humidity up, it won't stay with a screen top. Fix that by covering most of the screen with plexiglass or something similar, just leave around a 1" section on one side for air exchange. Then choose a good substrate like reptichip and one good size water dish. Your humidity should be great with that setup, you just need to add some water to the substrate once a week as needed to keep humidity where you want it.

Thanks
    Ball Pythons live in areas that never drop below 80% humidity, and they also live in areas that can get as low as 25% humidity in certain months. Too low or too high will likely be uncomfortable for your snake, but you can't control the weather and there is only so much you can do.

Most important thing, though, when dealing with dry conditions, is to provide somewhere humid that they can go, especially if it looks like they will shed soon. As already recommended, humid hides work great

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12