Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,759

0 members and 2,759 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

How do people do it...?

I was asked this weekend to look at a snake that was out of town by a friend to assess if the animal was worth purchasing. The snake was listed as a Super Pastel Orange Ghost, which I have one of and she could be, but lordy... Lets just say I spent money this weekend that I didn't need to in order to get this snake into better hands.

She was brought outside to meet me in 55 degree weather, no enclosure or container in open wind. I didn't note any parasites immediately, but she was rail thin and had stuck shed on her face and eyes, as well as on a couple other parts of her body. I bought her just to take her away. Bagged her up and threw her in the insulated box I brought with me in case, but damn.

Have had her home for (2) days, I put her immediately into a warm humid hide and got her face loosened and cleaned, so she has no more stuck shed. She's sitting on my dining room table in a tub for QT setup now, but damn.

She's a 2019 baby I'm sure, probably about 120g all said and done, but should be closer to 150-170g for length. This morning when I was feeding the other two I noted some behavior I've always considered hunting behavior so I tossed her a F/T fuzzy and she devoured it. Wouldn't normally do it soon but she wanted it.

Oh well, [/rant]

Paul

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

Bodie (11-18-2019),Bogertophis (11-21-2019),Dianne (11-22-2019),FollowTheSun (11-21-2019),LeeAnnT99 (11-20-2019),richardhind1972 (11-18-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I don't really understand your thread title. Are you asking how do they do it as in how does one neglect an animal (allegedly), or how someone could be so dumb (allegedly) to take it outside in the cold weather? Or how does one purchase an animal that may or may not need the help?

Anyone familiar with rescue work of any species can you tell this: seen it, been there, done that. How does one light a young pitbull terrier on fire just because it wants to get rid of it? Or how does the rescuer handle and cope with trying to save something that may or may not work?

And for the one who neglects the animal (it usually is neglect, most minor and fixable and looks worse than what it really is, what you see on tv is extreme and not that common in modern countries)... They usually win by dumping the problem on people like you, people who still have a heart to care. And by you giving that person any money at all, sadly that person learns very little and may pick up another animal in the future, repeating the same problem. No amount of lengthy lectures or 'please be responsible' works unless that owner choose to listen, which most don't care to or want to hear it, especially for reptiles. The best way to address these 'sales', like the pet chain stores, is to refuse to pay or pay at the whole sale cost. Meaning, if the owner intends to give it a good home, then he or she should relinquish it for free or for the cost of the caging supplies only (which should be a lot less than the cost of the snake). If they truly want to rehome it but insist on payment, then refer them to a local reptile rescue. You can ask any local rescue out there, including for reptiles: no one pays for surrendered pets, for a reason.

In light of the above, you did good, it is hard to turn away when you can help (Who am I kidding? I adopted 3 cats, 2 dogs and a bunny who were all on death row at the time). That extra cash you had could have gone into anything else, but I do hope you have extra for vet bills should you need it.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 11-18-2019 at 01:25 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-18-2019),Bogertophis (11-21-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Neglected snakes are way too common. You can't save them all but I've taken or paid $20 for ten snakes this year. People won't read a book or a forum like this one to learn about the care of _____ pet. Under fed, no water, heat an 100's of other problems. Dad gets the kids a pet but the I-phone is more important. Craigs list is full of regrets. As for people surrendering pets to rescues. The ones that cared about the pet will. The others just see what they paid out.

Put some weight on the girl an she'll be a good pet.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: How do people do it...?

It's understandable,

We have all seen a snake in a bad situation that just wrenched our heart.

I'm glad she is getting better care but you know she may need extra care to get her on the right track.

I'm glad she has already eaten for you but remember she may need smaller meals just to get her on the right track initialy. You're going to have to be super in tune with how she is dealing with the changes. I say this not to discourage you but to help you make sure she has the best possible start.

del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (11-19-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hi all,

My original post was more being floored than anything else. I didn't have high hopes when I pulled up as the home was essentially a slum, but the state she was in, without any attempt to hide it was shocking. I'm glad I got to see it, but holy crap...

We're going to keep her on fuzzies until we're sure she's putting on weight, they're smaller than her thickest part so they shouldn't stress her insides too much. She's been observed drinking from her water dish and has been both in and out of her hides, so I'm hopeful she is young enough to bounce back well.

I'll be taking her next fecal down to the local vet, who isn't a reptile guy, but has a microscope and knows what to look for at least.

She's in good hands for now, and I've got a couple of local people who buy rats from me that are wanting to give her a permanent home once I clear her, so this is good.

Best,

Paul

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-21-2019),CloudtheBoa (11-24-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Google a lab to send the fecal sample to. Many Vet offices send it out for testing.

Find some ASF to put the weight on.

Good luck!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Google a lab to send the fecal sample to. Many Vet offices send it out for testing.

Find some ASF to put the weight on.

Good luck!

I've got 2.2 ASFs that I'm waiting to start breeding so I can get colonies going before I'll have ready access to feeders, but she'll have access to all the traditional fuzzies she'll want as time goes on and I can move her up. I breed rats so I can always have a perfect size for her.

Paul

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

dr del (11-23-2019)

Thanks

Same situation with parrots, but worse because they get so much psychological damage that makes them more and more difficult to rehome the worse and worse it gets.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk