Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,113

1 members and 3,112 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Labored movement

I have an 18 year old normal ball python. I pulled him out today and he seemed very quiet and sluggish while hanging out around my neck. Placed him down to slither around and his movement seemed very labored. He is very reactive to touch, it almost reminds me of a cat arching it's back into your hand. I have an appointment tomorrow morning with his vet. Just wondering if anyone had experience something like this?
    1 OG Ball Python
    1 Banana BP

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    No experience with this exactly, I'm glad you're getting him checked out. Those symptoms (slow moving + reactive to touch) suggests to me that he's in pain.
    Let us know how it goes...I sure hope he's ok.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Labored movement

Met with our vet today (been seeing him for 10 years so he knows Shaggy). Shaggy is getting ready to shed on top of this so we are waiting to see what happens once he completes his process. No outwards signs of tumors or broken bones, breathing fine, and heart sounds good. Vet doesn't believe Shaggy is reacting in a painful way. Vet spoke about strange behaviors with sheds and season changes so Shaggy could just be going through something. He could have also tweaked a muscle or strained himself moving around....
    So lots of possibilities but Dr doesn't see any imminent issues so while I wait for a shed, I'll be documenting behaviors and keeping up with normal routines. If Shaggy isn't back to normal, we will proceeded with xrays and whatnot.
    I'll try to get on and update as we go!
    1 OG Ball Python
    1 Banana BP

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shaggy0123 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-12-2019),Craiga 01453 (11-12-2019),jmcrook (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    Update:

Shaggy shed earlier this week and is moving and acting more like himself. Still a tad "reactive" when touched but significantly better. Looks like it could have just been a strange combo of shed cycle and the weather drop in southeastern PA hitting at the same time. Going to keep.monitoring him just to be safe.
    1 OG Ball Python
    1 Banana BP

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shaggy0123 For This Useful Post:

Bodie (11-21-2019),Bogertophis (11-21-2019),LeeAnnT99 (11-21-2019),wnateg (11-21-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Did the Vet check his eyesight? I've had one snake go blind around 15yo. It couldn't see you coming to pick him up an would get defensive.

Good luck with your old friend!

Thanks

Re: Labored movement

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Did the Vet check his eyesight? I've had one snake go blind around 15yo. It couldn't see you coming to pick him up an would get defensive.

Good luck with your old friend!
    Yes! Shaggy has actually always suffered from ulcers on his eyes and the vet believes neither eye has very good vision anymore. It's always been slow going initially with him in best attempts to not startle the old man and he's usually pretty good about it. This reaction he was having was very much to touch, just moving your hand as you were already holding him. He's doing much better though! Hoping he may even eat for me during this weeks feeding frenzy, but he's also notorious for almost hibernating all winter. So we will see!
    1 OG Ball Python
    1 Banana BP