Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,565

0 members and 2,565 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Comments on Rosy Boa's...

I have been looking to get either a Kenya Sand Boa or Rosy Boa. After seeing what I could research about them both, I am leaning towards the Rosy Boa's. I have found a young male hypo Borrego Rosy Boa for sale who is simply gorgeous in color and has almost grayish to slate color eyes. Handled him yesterday and he was very docile and not timid at all. I like how the Rosy boa's have somewhat of a head shape verses the Kenya SB dont.
    They are both quite similar and will stay on the smaller size as far as length goes and I have read that the Rosy's will display themself more often verses the Kenya SB hides underneath the substrate pretty much all the time.

I dont really see to many post on here about Rosy Boa's in general and wanted to ask my fellow reptile family here on BP.net if there is anyone who has this type of boa and can share your stories about them - the good, bad and ugly.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I've kept & bred rosy boas for many years. Only have one remaining, a female named Bonita. They're generally docile pets & stay a nice size- don't be shocked if they
    skip some meals in the winter though. If you ever breed them, they have live babies. They are not arboreal but will (either in captivity or in the wild) climb into low
    hanging branches...they're not the best at this, not like rat snakes, but yes, they're more "visible" pets versus KSB. Mine climbs her branch & ladder in her cage fairly
    often, & appears to bask. Males stay smaller (about 2.5' max) while females get to 3.5' & are more apt to eat despite the season than the males are. (Many male
    snakes need some cooling for better fertility.)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I can't think of anything "ugly" to say about them, lol. I keep mine on a mix of my own clean paper shreds mixed with Carefresh, fyi. They need a cool & warm hide
    just like most snakes, & of course, a small water bowl.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Comments on Rosy Boa's...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I can't think of anything "ugly" to say about them, lol. I keep mine on a mix of my own clean paper shreds mixed with Carefresh, fyi. They need a cool & warm hide
    just like most snakes, & of course, a small water bowl.
    Thanks Boger for responding. I read something about removing the water bowl a day before feeding and then returning it back into the enclosure 2 days after feeding. The reason for this is that they are prone to regurgitate their food..Is that true?