Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 355

7 members and 348 guests
Most users ever online was 5,577, 11-08-2019 at 08:53 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

dneldm (30)

» Stats

Members: 66,393
Threads: 241,157
Posts: 2,504,646
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LexLou
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Not eating

  1. #11
    BPnet Veteran Craiga 01453's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-27-2017
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    9,219
    Thanks
    11,900
    Thanked 8,632 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Another thing I noticed with my boy Cosmo...

    He seems to be more eager to accept prey that's a bit cooler than what all my other snakes seem to like.
    He's backed off a few times when the prey was really good and warm. This was back when he was still on pinkies, so since correcting I got to troubleshooting and wondered if the prey was actually starting to cook since they were tiny pinkies. I honestly don't know though. And that's just limited to my one snake.

    Not sure if this helps you out at all, but I figured it was worth mentioning.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 11-17-2019 at 01:38 PM.
    ...life is beautiful...

    0.1 Bredli Python - Fernie
    1.0 Vanilla het Pied BP - Tyson
    1.0 Pastel Fader BP - Dembe
    1.0 California Kingsnake - Django
    1.0 Western Hognose - Cosmo
    1.0 Borneo Short Tail Python - Juice
    1.0 Anery Kenyan Sando Boa - Willow
    2.2 Ferrets - Baloo, Johnny & June and Chloe
    0.2 Cats - Simba & Nala

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

    Sophieg (11-17-2019)

  3. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-30-2018
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts

    Re: Not eating

    Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Another thing I noticed with my boy Cosmo...

    He seems to be more eager to accept prey that's a bit cooler than what all my other snakes seem to like.
    He's backed off a few times when the prey was really good and warm. This was back when he was still on pinkies, so since correcting I got to troubleshooting and wondered if the prey was actually starting to cook since they were tiny pinkies. I honestly don't know though. And that's just limited to my one snake.

    Not sure if this helps you out at all, but I figured it was worth mentioning.
    Yea, I leave the mouse in for quite a while so it cools off too

    Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

  4. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-18-2018
    Posts
    447
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 509 Times in 265 Posts
    Never had a hoggie before, they are cute though. I have read that it is common for male hoggies to be difficult feeders. Some breeders and keepers would have a Pac man frog or lizard and scent the prey by rubbing it against their back. They claim to have success with that and then transition back to no-scenting over time. Not saying you should go this route yet, but it is an option should he continue to refuse food, so don't give up! The worry and anxiety of trying to feed a baby snake... It will be all worth the hard work and patience when he eats for you.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 11-17-2019 at 05:03 PM.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

    Sophieg (11-17-2019)

  6. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-30-2018
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts

    Re: Not eating

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    Never had a hoggie before, they are cute though. I have read that it is common for male hoggies to be difficult feeders. Some breeders and keepers would have a Pac man frog or lizard and scent the prey by rubbing it against their back. They claim to have success with that and then transition back to no-scenting over time. Not saying you should go this route yet, but it is an option should he continue to refuse food, so don't give up! The worry and anxiety of trying to feed a baby snake... It will be all worth the hard work and patience when he eats for you.
    Thank u! Yea, it's very stressful

    Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

  7. #15
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-28-2006
    Posts
    24,366
    Thanks
    6,001
    Thanked 19,901 Times in 9,240 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 6
    Male are typically more difficult than females when it comes to food, and it's true until they get some size tongue feeding does not work leaving the prey in the enclosure until the morning works best.

    You don't really have to worry about the prey being warm, I feed all mine adults, juvies and hatchlings without re-heating the prey and they don't care.

    Right now being a male and with the weather changing (cold, low pressure etc) feeding can become more difficult.

    If your hognose was well started meaning at least 10 unscented meals and or 10 f/t meals you should be able to get him back on food.

    In the event you do not y ou can use one of the following scent (I do not recommend toad or lizard since they can carry crypto which is fetal)

    In order of what works for me

    Vienna Sausage
    Tuna
    Hard Boil egg, you can even leave a piece in the cage
    Chicken water from chicken in a can
    Anchovies
    Sardines
    Deborah Stewart

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

    Craiga 01453 (11-18-2019),Sophieg (11-18-2019)

  9. #16
    BPnet Veteran
    Join Date
    10-13-2016
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    205
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 179 Times in 89 Posts
    Did you mention that you have the RUB dimly lit/ covered? I'm wondering if your hoggie might be taking that as another seasonal cue to attempt winter brumation. My guys are strong seasonal feeders despite my best efforts and it seems to be the reduced natural light that cues them. Maybe try a convincing day-type light on a timer for 12 hours each day? In the past I worried so much about my guys (male and female) but now, my third season in, I just offer infrequently while they are refusing and when it's "springtime" for them (usually April) they just start ravenously eating again like before. Good luck!

  10. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-30-2018
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts

    Re: Not eating

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Male are typically more difficult than females when it comes to food, and it's true until they get some size tongue feeding does not work leaving the prey in the enclosure until the morning works best.

    You don't really have to worry about the prey being warm, I feed all mine adults, juvies and hatchlings without re-heating the prey and they don't care.

    Right now being a male and with the weather changing (cold, low pressure etc) feeding can become more difficult.

    If your hognose was well started meaning at least 10 unscented meals and or 10 f/t meals you should be able to get him back on food.

    In the event you do not y ou can use one of the following scent (I do not recommend toad or lizard since they can carry crypto which is fetal)

    In order of what works for me

    Vienna Sausage
    Tuna
    Hard Boil egg, you can even leave a piece in the cage
    Chicken water from chicken in a can
    Anchovies
    Sardines
    Thank u! What time in the evening is it best to put the mouse in?

    Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1