Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,321

1 members and 3,320 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

How To Remove From Cage During Hunting Behavior?

What is a good way to remove my snake from her cage (for handling) when she is showing hunting behavior?

3 year old female, lately, is very strikey. She has been sticking her head out of her hide when I get home from work (feeding time). Super intense. Coming up to glass to investigate me, ready to strike. Last night I touched the screen above cage and she struck from about a foot away. I squirted her with the water bottle to see if she would get back in her hide, so I could take her out, but she was like, screw that, I'm ready to strike. Fortunately, she never strikes when being handled.

I have two theories:
    1. It's b/c I'm under feeding her. But that theory seems wrong b/c I read pythons don't actually feel hunger...they just eat when they see/smell prey. Maybe that's a myth.
    2. I'm not handling her enough and she thinks any interaction is feeding time.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are 2 reasons why a BP will strike

1# Stress due to husbandry issue

2# Not being fed appropriately

In most cases it comes down to #1

You could have a BP and not hold it for weeks and it would still be fine when being pulled out for handling, this is one of those species that does not need to be work with to remain handelable.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (11-16-2019),Craiga 01453 (11-16-2019),Zincubus (11-17-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I'd be pretty pissy if you sprayed me with a water bottle too. Don't do that. That's definitely not helping.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-16-2019),jmcrook (11-16-2019)

Thanks

Re: How To Remove From Cage During Hunting Behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by ejacobson View Post
    What is a good way to remove my snake from her cage (for handling) when she is showing hunting behavior?

3 year old female, lately, is very strikey. She has been sticking her head out of her hide when I get home from work (feeding time). Super intense. Coming up to glass to investigate me, ready to strike. Last night I touched the screen above cage and she struck from about a foot away. I squirted her with the water bottle to see if she would get back in her hide, so I could take her out, but she was like, screw that, I'm ready to strike. Fortunately, she never strikes when being handled.

I have two theories:
    1. It's b/c I'm under feeding her. But that theory seems wrong b/c I read pythons don't actually feel hunger...they just eat when they see/smell prey. Maybe that's a myth.

What are you feeding her? How big is she? Also, I agree with the advice of not squirting the animal with a water bottle to handle it. You can kiss whatever chance you had at handling then and there goodbye..

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-16-2019),dakski (11-16-2019),jmcrook (11-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Gentle handling to build trust, proper environment/conditions (tank size, hides, temps, humidity, etc), and proper food size and frequency should equate to a happy BP.

If it's only cage defensiveness, or a food response, and all other boxes are checked, try hook training. Feel free to ask if you are not sure what that is or how to do it.

Snakes can learn association, but not like a dog or cat. They can be conditioned, but not really trained. They do not aim to please and are not that sophisticated. Spraying the snake with a water bottle to stop bad behavior will not work and the snake will only associate you with getting sprayed, not undesired behavior.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-16-2019),DandD (11-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ejacobson View Post

I have two theories:
    Just sounds extra hungry to me ..

Maybe give her a big meal and see if that helps .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro