Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,808

2 members and 2,806 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Milksnake sexing

Hello,

I am a new owner of sinaloan milksnake. While I got all the basics and the snake is doing fine, I am quite afraid to try sexing the snake because I am afraid I might hurt it. I got the snake as very small so its papers say 0.001 meaning it was not sexed. The snake has grown a lot since i got it but is still not an adult. Can someone help me and tell me is it a male of a female. To me looks like female but I am very green in snake keeping so what I think does not matter

Picture:
    https://ibb.co/gZNTdZQ

PS I was going trough online pictures a lot and looking for an on line advice but they all say probing or sexing. To be honest I don't intend to breed this snake so I will not risk to do any harm by my lack of experience. And the snake is purchased out of the country I live in so visiting the breeder would be a LOT complicated.

Thank you!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    IMO, sexing by looking at the tail from the side is easier and more accurate than by looking at the tail's underside. The tail would have to be straight and the location of the vent indicated. Any chance you could post such a picture?

Rule of thumb: Males have tails that are more than half as thick at the midpoint than at the base. Females have tails that are less than half as thick at the midpoint than at the base.

Adults are easier to sex this way than subadults (less than 3 years old). Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

dr del (11-16-2019)

Thanks

Re: Milksnake sexing

Thank you!!!

Thank you for a very useful reply! I will look for what you said myself - look from the side and then see if the tail gets thicker, but at this point I know it doesn't
    The snake is just a month over a year old, so it has a lot more growing to do.

Best wishes