Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,619

1 members and 2,618 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Not eating is normal, but when should I be worried

I don't know if many of you have been following my posts on my rescue mowgli, but if you have you'll know Mowgli is almost done her medicine / medication (update on that: both her eyes are looking so much better. Just a constant thing of keeping her eyes moist and her enclosure humidity up in Canada's dry winters)
    She started treatment 2 weeks ago, after her surgery. A couple days before surgery, she refused a rat. So now the last time she ate was October 19th (in 5 days in will have been a month since she last ate)
    She hasn't shown to be hungry and I know snakes can go quite some time without eating, especially when the climate gets colder. But when should I be concerned? (I do also understand the last 2 weeks have been stressful for her and stressed snakes don't want to eat as well as the other reason she may not be eating)
    Last edited by Kodayin; 11-14-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    A month is nothing for BPs. No need to worry yet. As long as she's maintaining a healthy body structure that's what's important.
    It's stressful though, I get it. Try not to sweat it. It gets easier the longer you've been keeping these adorable little conundrums. Hahaha.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dr del (11-14-2019),Kodayin (11-14-2019)

Thanks

Re: Not eating is normal, but when should I be worried

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    A month is nothing for BPs. No need to worry yet. As long as she's maintaining a healthy body structure that's what's important.
    It's stressful though, I get it. Try not to sweat it. It gets easier the longer you've been keeping these adorable little conundrums. Hahaha.
    Thank you! I'm not worried that it's been a month, as again it's normal. Just with everything going on, I'm worried about her stress levels as well as her health
    She's still a very healthy weight (she had a vet check up the beginning of this week and will have another soon) and her body score is a perfect 10, but yeah I'm an extra worried wart over her lately 😂

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kodayin For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-14-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kodayin View Post
    Thank you! I'm not worried that it's been a month, as again it's normal. Just with everything going on, I'm worried about her stress levels as well as her health
    She's still a very healthy weight (she had a vet check up the beginning of this week and will have another soon) and her body score is a perfect 10, but yeah I'm an extra worried wart over her lately 😂
    Completely understandable. Have faith she'll eat when she's ready. I personally have switched feeding my technique when it comes to my BPs. I actually let them dictate when I feed. I wait until I see them displaying "hunting behavior". What that means is I wait until I see their head poking out of their hide on consecutive nights. If I see that I offer on night three. So far 100% success rate. (knock on wood, hahaha)
    I had one on a strike for about 3 months and he just recently ate. I hadn't offered in at least 6 weeks. But he showed the behavior I mentioned on back to back nights, so I offered on night three and he ate.

That being said, I've been in this hobby a long time and trust my ability to monitor their weight and body structure as well as my ability to "read" their body language.
    So what works for me may not work for everyone, but it's been working for me and my BPs for about a year now using this technique.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Kodayin (11-16-2019),Southpaw91 (11-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Completely understandable. Have faith she'll eat when she's ready. I personally have switched feeding my technique when it comes to my BPs. I actually let them dictate when I feed. I wait until I see them displaying "hunting behavior". What that means is I wait until I see their head poking out of their hide on consecutive nights. If I see that I offer on night three. So far 100% success rate. (knock on wood, hahaha)
    I had one on a strike for about 3 months and he just recently ate. I hadn't offered in at least 6 weeks. But he showed the behavior I mentioned on back to back nights, so I offered on night three and he ate.

That being said, I've been in this hobby a long time and trust my ability to monitor their weight and body structure as well as my ability to "read" their body language.
    So what works for me may not work for everyone, but it's been working for me and my BPs for about a year now using this technique.
    That's actually how I feed her, she lets me know when she wants to eat. Not sure what happened before the vet that caused her to not eat, because she was hungry and she did strike, but just let go and never regained interest
    Sometimes she's picky about the colour of rat it seems, she only really gets excited for white rats (I joke with my friends she's racist lol)
    Hopefully she gets hungry soon!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kodayin For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-16-2019)