Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,922

1 members and 2,921 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New BP need advice!

Hey guys! New to the BP community here. This past Sunday I took a male 2 year old BP off the hands of a friends son who was not taking care of the snake at all. He'd only ever been fed grasshoppers, no water in his tank, unclean. Felt bad for the little guy. I fed him a pinkie Sunday and brought him home, cleaned out his tank like new and gave him lots of love. The first two days he was chill and would hide under his hide but the last two days he has been laying in a squished corner of the tank next to his hide. Won't make much movement when I walk up to the tank and doesn't seem to move much. The only thing I changed in the last two days was turning on a temperature controlled heat mat under his warm side. I have it at 90F but now it seems like he doesn't want to go under his hide at all. If I take him out and hold him he just lays there, maybe somewhat lethargic seeming? I'm worried he might be sick. So much has changed for him in a few days, meat instead of hopper, water from a different side of the mountains, new items in his tank, heat map... Could he just be stressed? Let me know your thoughts on lil Slash! He has such a sweet docile personality.

Thanks

Re: New BP need advice!

Temp controller at 90 but what is actually floor temp? That's what matters floor temp not controller temp

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to walzon1 For This Useful Post:

LeeAnnT99 (11-13-2019)

Thanks

I have the temp sensor taped to the bottom of the floor so that's what the floor temp is at. I thought about turning it up more because the coconut straw in the tank on the hot side definitely isn't around 90....

Quote Originally Posted by walzon1 View Post
    Temp controller at 90 but what is actually floor temp? That's what matters floor temp not controller temp

Thanks

Don't have a lot from experience but your post is confusing. Others will chime in but a lethargic BP is bad news if thats the case.

Just a heads up a hopper is bigger than a pinkie. Not sure you meant rat or mouse. 2 year old BP eats small rats or XL mouse. How big is he? Need more details on setup. What do you mean by lethargic? Not moving around is normal for BP they don't call them pet rocks for nothing, but if he can't lift his head up that's concerning.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    He only are grasshoppers (insect) for 2 years? Is this real or your friend trolling you?
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 11-13-2019 at 11:14 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-14-2019)

Thanks

No joke they were literally only feeding him hoppers. 😳

Thanks

I gave him 3 small pinkies. After doing research I realized I should have just given him one small mouse or rat. But since he had been eating grasshoppers I didn’t want to give him anything too big.
    He can lift his head, he just isn’t moving much from his one spot. He’s maybe a foot long. He seems small to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    A hopper is a type of mouse; I'm sure they didnt mean grasshoppers. And they're bigger than mouse pinkies.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SlashHalata View Post
    I gave him 3 small pinkies. After doing research I realized I should have just given him one small mouse or rat. But since he had been eating grasshoppers I didn’t want to give him anything too big.
    He can lift his head, he just isn’t moving much from his one spot. He’s maybe a foot long. He seems small to me.
    Most likely eating hopper mice not grasshopper. At a foot long he is 2 months old not 2 years, And rat pups or hopper mouse should be fed. They can eat prey they same size as they are round.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to walzon1 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-14-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SlashHalata View Post

are you sure this is a Ball Python? I have heard some crazy things here but an adult ball python with a diet of grasshoppers for two years might take the cake. Grasshopper being an insect.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

dr del (11-14-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast