Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,553

1 members and 2,552 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

She ate a f/t for the first time...now what?

Hi. Lilia is just a few months old and I've only had her since 11/2. The ppl who had her before me fed her live, but after doing a lot of research (and A LOT of reading on here) I wanted to switch her to f/t. The man I got her from advocated live feeding, but to be fair -- he sold feeders, so it was a source of income.

Anyway, he said she would be ready to eat about 5 days after I got her. I gave her a week to settle, get to know me and her new house, and...be hungry. First try. Nothing. Waited another two days -- a little interest, but still nothing. Then -- last night, she was really active, searching her tank, nose in the air. So, I prepared her dinner and...YES...she ate it! She struck, I wrestled it a little bit, and she pulled it in her hide.

I know to leave her alone now. She's in her hide and alert, but quiet. She has fresh water from yesterday...but can I freshen her water today without stressing her? I've read to leave her for 24-48 hours. But, how much 'activity' in her tank would be too much?

Is there anything else I should know? Anything I should be looking for that would indicate she's stressed or uncomfortable in anyway?

I just want to be sure that this feeding experience is 100% successful so that she continues to take the f/t.

Thanks for reading!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeAnnT99 For This Useful Post:

Sanyassin (11-13-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Don't handle her until she eats 2 more times. Consistently. Not like here and there.

Try only 1 attempt per week and no more for that week, if it won't take it. It can stress out the snake. Some snakes though would take it after being offered like 2-3 more times but more often than not, that is not the case.

She should be hiding and sleeping during the day, and active at night, mainly poking her head out from the hide close to feeding day.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-13-2019),dr del (11-13-2019),LeeAnnT99 (11-13-2019),Sanyassin (11-13-2019)

Thanks

Re: She ate a f/t for the first time...now what?

^^^ x2

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    And leave the water bowl alone, if in any doubt about your snake's stress level. It's not that big a deal...not worth bothering a nervous snake.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

LeeAnnT99 (11-13-2019)

Thanks

Thanks for the information. She does rest all day and comes out just at night. Right now, she is sleeping in her hide with just her nose visible. But, she is a really calm girl.

What about changing her water? Can I go into her tank to grab her water dish? I like to put fresh water in it every day and clean her dish every other day.

Also, what if her tank needs cleaning before the 2nd and/or 3rd feeding?

I REALLY appreciate the advice!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    And leave the water bowl alone, if in any doubt about your snake's stress level. It's not that big a deal...not worth bothering a nervous snake.
    Thanks! I posted my other reply before seeing this post about leaving the water bowl alone. Will do!

Thanks
    Snakes may "appear" calm but we should not assume what is in their heads... I applaud your high standards, but "eating is job #1". Most of us "spot-clean"
    a few times rather than tearing things apart (depending of course on how big a mess there is- some snakes are great at crawling thru & spreading it around).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

LeeAnnT99 (11-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Snakes may "appear" calm but we should not assume what is in their heads... ).
    Perfect. I shouldn't put human emotions onto her...I know that. She does appear calm.
    And, since she and I are getting to know each other, I leave her to herself a lot. It's only been 11 days.
    I will take your advice and just spot clean.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeeAnnT99 View Post
    Perfect. I shouldn't put human emotions onto her...I know that. She does appear calm.
    And, since she and I are getting to know each other, I leave her to herself a lot. It's only been 11 days.
    I will take your advice and just spot clean.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply!
    I don't really know if or which "emotions" snakes may feel...I do think they have more going on "upstairs" than many people do; I just meant they're hard for us to read. Ball pythons are especially low-key snakes, it's hard to tell if they're stressed. All new snakes do best if they get to know us gradually...they'll learn we're safe to be around.

I'm raising 3 unexpected hatchling rat snakes right now (I've raised many in the past) & while I do look in on their cages, there is minimal interaction until feeding time. They're more "out-going" than BPs are, so sometimes they're watching me too, lol...but I've found that patience works by far the best with snakes, to overcome their instinctive fear of being picked up (& eaten) by a predator, which is what we appear to be. They do learn & remember though.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-13-2019 at 02:55 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

LeeAnnT99 (11-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeeAnnT99 View Post
    Hi. Lilia is just a few months old and I've only had her since 11/2. The ppl who had her before me fed her live, but after doing a lot of research (and A LOT of reading on here) I wanted to switch her to f/t. The man I got her from advocated live feeding, but to be fair -- he sold feeders, so it was a source of income.

Anyway, he said she would be ready to eat about 5 days after I got her. I gave her a week to settle, get to know me and her new house, and...be hungry. First try. Nothing. Waited another two days -- a little interest, but still nothing. Then -- last night, she was really active, searching her tank, nose in the air. So, I prepared her dinner and...YES...she ate it! She struck, I wrestled it a little bit, and she pulled it in her hide.

I know to leave her alone now. She's in her hide and alert, but quiet. She has fresh water from yesterday...but can I freshen her water today without stressing her? I've read to leave her for 24-48 hours. But, how much 'activity' in her tank would be too much?

Is there anything else I should know? Anything I should be looking for that would indicate she's stressed or uncomfortable in anyway?

I just want to be sure that this feeding experience is 100% successful so that she continues to take the f/t.

Thanks for reading!
    Great start !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-13-2019),LeeAnnT99 (11-13-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast