Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,406

5 members and 2,401 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Re: Need advice, is he ill?

Hi all. Well, after a full Chem panel, stomach wash and DNA test for crypto, dewormer, and testing for IBD....the little guy has IBD. Which absolutely sucks.

Does anyone have anything positive to say about treatment, prognosis, or care that I might be missing? Or is euthanasia about it.
    Last edited by Sanyassin; 12-10-2019 at 08:53 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sanyassin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,798 Times in 11,829 Posts
    Oh that's really the pits, after all the help you've tried to give him. What did the vet say? (I sure don't know of any miracle cure for ibd.)

And you have another snake, right? One that's healthy? Sure hope you've done a super job of quarantining the sick one.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-10-2019 at 09:17 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sanyassin (12-10-2019)

Thanks

Re: Need advice, is he ill?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Oh that's really the pits, after all the help you've tried to give him. What did the vet say? (I sure don't know of any miracle cure for ibd.)

And you have another snake, right? One that's healthy? Sure hope you've done a super job of quarantining the sick one.
    The vet recommends euthanasia as there still is a lot unknown about IBS and they are concerned about contagion. It is really rare in snakes this young (4 months) I guess, and we caught it pretty early, but there still isn't any treatment that I have been told.

I have been extraordinarily careful with quarantine. I am OCD, and so have been super careful to the point of paranoid. We actually were more concerned it might be crypto, which even bleach doesn't kill. Soaking in pyroxide for 20+ minutes is recommended to kill crypto, so I have been Soaking the quarantine room in pyroxide (hopefully that would kill OBD virus as well),have a dedicated set of clothes for going in there, and wear surgical gloves. And now that I know I am still worried about my other little guy, but hope given my steps that transmission is unlikely. They are even on separate floors and at opposite ends of the house.

I am just incredibly bummed about the whole situation, as the last thing I want to do is euthanize the little guy. (Insert strong curse word here)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sanyassin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I had to put an animal down about a year ago. Easily one of the worst things I’ve ever had to do but honestly much better than watching an animal suffer in your care. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-10-2019),Craiga 01453 (12-12-2019),Sanyassin (12-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanyassin View Post
    The vet recommends euthanasia as there still is a lot unknown about IBS and they are concerned about contagion. It is really rare in snakes this young (4 months) I guess, and we caught it pretty early, but there still isn't any treatment that I have been told.

I have been extraordinarily careful with quarantine. I am OCD, and so have been super careful to the point of paranoid. We actually were more concerned it might be crypto, which even bleach doesn't kill. Soaking in pyroxide for 20+ minutes is recommended to kill crypto, so I have been Soaking the quarantine room in pyroxide (hopefully that would kill OBD virus as well),have a dedicated set of clothes for going in there, and wear surgical gloves. And now that I know I am still worried about my other little guy, but hope given my steps that transmission is unlikely. They are even on separate floors and at opposite ends of the house.

I am just incredibly bummed about the whole situation, as the last thing I want to do is euthanize the little guy. (Insert strong curse word here)
    I know how you feel, but euthanize is what I'd do too...with so many regrets. So sorry for your impending loss. At least, from what you've described, you've done a
    good job protecting your other snake. I wish you much better luck in the future. I've never had to deal with crypto or IBD, & after so many years keeping snakes, I have
    zero plans to add any others, so no risks unless I did something stupid (like taking my snakes to a nearby Petco, exposing them to others for one of their Reptile programs,
    which I guarantee I'll never do). Life just isn't fair sometimes...poor little snake. Where did he come from again? The breeder needs to know, if they can be tracked down,
    so they don't keep spreading this nightmare.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sanyassin (12-10-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    On IBD, was it just the blood test? Without testing tissue you get false positives.
    Read here:
    https://www.petmd.com/reptile/condit...n_body_disease

Still, having other snakes euthanizing is the safer route. Sorry about that.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-10-2019),Sanyassin (12-10-2019)

Thanks
    Went back to your first thread, you said he was in a tank with other larger snakes, so I assume that was a pet store? I would notify them- so sad for all the snakes.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-12-2019),Sanyassin (12-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Went back to your first thread, you said he was in a tank with other larger snakes, so I assume that was a pet store? I would notify them- so sad for all the snakes.
    100% this. Owners need to know, since it can decimate their entire collections.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oropher101 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-12-2019),Sanyassin (12-10-2019)

Thanks
    The vet works with the source I adopted him from initially, and Is notifying and working with them directly. I will also be contacting them.
    Last edited by Sanyassin; 12-10-2019 at 10:49 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sanyassin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    On IBD, was it just the blood test? Without testing tissue you get false positives.
    Read here:
    https://www.petmd.com/reptile/condit...n_body_disease

Still, having other snakes euthanizing is the safer route. Sorry about that.
    I believe the IBD showed up in a genetic screening for the IBD genome, but we did so many tests I may be getting confused with the DNA test for Crypto. I will check with the vet tomorrow to confirm the testing protocol they used.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sanyassin For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-10-2019),Bogertophis (12-10-2019)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast