Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 509

0 members and 509 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Jeff Shemesh - VPI T+ Sunglow Motley Jungle het Anery

I really like the pic with the tongue out which is focused on his head. The following one is pretty cool too. Is that one in your gallery yet? IMO I think it would be a good profile pic. The i Phones take great pics. You picked a beautiful snake almost made me want a Boa. But decided against it.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    I really like the pic with the tongue out which is focused on his head. The following one is pretty cool too. Is that one in your gallery yet? IMO I think it would be a good profile pic. The i Phones take great pics. You picked a beautiful snake almost made me want a Boa. But decided against it.
    I am behind on the gallery and it's pretty full. I have most of my images on Imgur now. I believe an old picture of Behira is still my profile picture.

I am shocked how good the iPhone 11 pro is compared to the iphone X regarding pictures, especially focus and color.

Oh, come on! You know you want a boa! Have you had one yet?

Not trying to be pushy but I felt the same way 3 years ago. Now I have 3. They rock.

Any questions about them, feel free to PM, but seriously, no pressure at all.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (11-15-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I am behind on the gallery and it's pretty full. I have most of my images on Imgur now. I believe an old picture of Behira is still my profile picture.

I am shocked how good the iPhone 11 pro is compared to the iphone X regarding pictures, especially focus and color.

Oh, come on! You know you want a boa! Have you had one yet? Never have, and was thinking about how cool it would be to have one BP and one
    Boa especially the smaller ones they now breed and getting a male. But then I read this and backed off the idea.
    http://www.anapsid.org/boa.html that is a care sheet I guess.

Not trying to be pushy didn't take it that way, when you like something ya share right but I felt the same way 3 years ago. Now I have 3. They rock. But how about when they get full grown and it takes 2 to handle it, believe me there is only one in this household that touches snakes. When it comes to anything concerning snakes or the handling thereof my wife says

Any questions about them, feel free to PM, but seriously, no pressure at all.
    ​One question, can one person handle a Boa?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    ​One question, can one person handle a Boa?
    A few things, and PM if you want to discuss more. I don't want to lose sight of it being Jeff's thread.

http://www.anapsid.org/boa.html

I don't agree with much of this. Also, True Red Tail Boas get larger, in most cases, then Boa Imperator (BI) which most morph and most dwarf species are part of. The article says they will be 5-6 feet after a year! WOW. What are they feeding and how much! Boas should be slow grown for their benefit, not ours. Behira, a female BI, is about 1,700G and 5FT at 3 1/2 years old. She's a female as well and they often get significantly larger than male boas.

It should take a female boa 5-6 years to reach adult size/maturity. They will grow their entire lives, but that gives you 5-6 years to get used to their size, temperament, feeding response, etc. So, yes, if Behira is 6.5FT and 9-12 pounds at 6 years old, she might be 7.5-8FT and 15-20 pounds at 10-12 years old. That may sound like a lot, but it's not really, IMO.

I've held 7-8FT female BI's and when handled from a young age and being that most boas are chill, it's not a huge deal.

If you are nervous about size, but want a Boa for personality and beauty, you can get a dwarf species. Females usually rarely get more than 6FT and males 4-5FT, if that. Some locales that's full size for a female (about 5FT).

Or you can get a male BI - more morphs to choose and I love BI temperament. How you feed is the major factor in how big a boa gets (within reason - you can't have a 3 FT BI that's not locale).

I've also found Boas to be very hardy, when cared for correctly.

A 10FT Boa that's overfed or a True Red Tail and weights 40-50 pounds. Yes, two people, to handle, IMO.

8FT and 15-20 pounds or less, I don't think you need two people, but that's your comfort level really. I would definitely tap/hook train any boa given their strong food response.

My rule of thumb is anything over 8FT you should have two people to handle and be present for feeding, etc.

I also do not let any snake over 3FT or so, especially a constrictor, completely wrap around my neck. I will let a larger Boa hang from my neck, but keep a close eye and hand on the tail and head and do not let the animal wrap my neck.

A locale boa isn't much more to handle than an adult BP, except that they are a little stronger (pound for pounds) and more active, and will wrap around your arm, hand, etc. more.

I am 5'4" on a good day and I feel comfortable handling and adult BI - but I am alert and aware. I am not sitting watching TV with an animal that size just hanging around and doing what it wants.

Again, PM me with any more questions; I will be happy to answer. I adore my boas.

I would encourage you to go to a Reptile Show, a Reptile Store, and/or talk to people that run Reptile Events/Education Events in your area and see if you can view a large BCC (True Red Tail) or BI. Then realize you can get them smaller if you want.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (11-15-2019),Dianne (11-22-2019),richardhind1972 (11-16-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Wow Dave, thanks for taking the time to answer my question. You have started me thinking about the idea of getting a Boa some day especially a male smaller type. They are a beautiful snake and I like their out going nature. We'll be looking forward to more of the iPhone X pictures, and Jeff Shemesh posts and info. And maybe you can put more pictures with that neat phone of some of your other snakes as well in the Pictures section. I know we'd love to see them. I would.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-15-2019)

Thanks

Had Jeff out for a little bit tonight and changed water, etc. My mom was over and got to meet him. She really liked him. I think the feeling was mutual. Mom loves his eyes and his pattern.

He's really quite chill, but still curious and outgoing and inquisitive. Typical boa. I think he is really calm and docile for his size.

I got some DSLR pictures, although the lighting wasn't great. Enjoy!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-22-2019),dr del (11-23-2019),Gio (11-22-2019),Kam (11-30-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Congratulations on another stunning addition to your family. Love his color and pattern.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-22-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Congratulations on another stunning addition to your family. Love his color and pattern.
    Thank you Dianne.

I love him. He's got a great personality and is incredibly handsome to boot.

My mom saw his picture and thought he looked like a few of my other albinos (namely Yafe/CP and Shayna/BP). She did like his pattern and the tail stripe. When she met him the other day, she was blown away. Pictures do not do him justice and he won her over with his calm demeanor, lovely pattern, contrasting eyes (blue grey vs. red on most albinos), and amazing color. In person she could see the nuance and glowing creaminess of his yellows and how amazing his contrast is.

He eats again tonight and then we can get to know each other a little better. Sunday will be 2 weeks and 2 meals. He's doing awesome and in the past week has been utilizing all of his tank, not just hiding in the warm hide, like he did the first week.
    Last edited by dakski; 11-22-2019 at 05:22 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-23-2019),richardhind1972 (11-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,570 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Looking good.

Boas, not matter what pattern or colors have the best body shape!

Very nice.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-22-2019),richardhind1972 (11-22-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Looking good.

Boas, not matter what pattern or colors have the best body shape!

Very nice.
    Thanks Gio. Yeah, he seems in great shape. I knew the breeder and wasn't worried, but he's still quarantined for a while.

Agree on the boa shape. I love it. Sturdy look.

I feed again tonight. He was a little shy last time. Let's see if he nails it tonight .

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (11-22-2019)

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast