Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,856

0 members and 2,856 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice

Thanks

Seeking advice

I have a Pastel BP, we have had her around 5 months and got her when she was around 9 months. It has been about 3 months since her last shed and the same since her last meal. When we got her in June she had just shed and it had been a couple weeks since she had last eaten. She took well to frozen and was eating like a champ for about 2 months. She had her first shed with us and it came off clean eye caps and all over night. Nothing has changed in her habitat and temps on warm side are around 87-89 degrees and cool side is around 79-81 degrees. Humidity levels are between 50-55% steady. I’ve tried feeding her multiple times and she doesn’t have the slightest interest. Obviously I know she will kind of regulate her feeding and shedding but just wanted to get some insight on whether I should try something different or seek any medical advice. She is still active in her habitat and tongue flicks are good she’s always been very docile ever sense we got her and no change in her behavior. Any thought or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Seeking advice

Got her when she was around 4 months, so she is currently around 9 months old.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

BP's are known to go off feed, especially in the winter.

My BP, Shayna, a female Albino Spider, goes off feed like clockwork every year for a few months or more. They self regulate. Your temps and humidity seem good and she ate for you and ate F/T, so I would guess she's on a hunger strike if everything else seems normal.

It would be helpful to see a picture, get a weight, and know what you were offering as prey (type, mouse or rat, and size/weight). I would also start weighing her every 4-6 weeks and see if she's dropping weight noticeably and dramatically. Shayna loses 5-8% of her body weight every winter. Then gains it back fast spring-Fall.

Again, probably nothing to worry about, but to be safe, check weights and provide the info above if you can.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MedusaThePastelBP View Post

148 grams is awfully small in my opinion for a snake that age.. What are you trying to feed her? Have you tried live prey? Did you up the enclosure size?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    There is a problem here, a snake that size should not be going off food, that is normal for adults, not hatchlings which is the current size even though she is 9 months old. My 9 month old snakes are in the 600-800g range to give you an idea how far behind yours is. You're going to need to get her eating consistently weekly. That is by all means, if you can't get her to eat f/t then it's time to give her whatever she'll eat, live mouse, rat, asf, basically whatever she'll take and stick to it every week until she gets up to a healthy weight at least. Also make sure you are offering the right size meal. I feed mine rat crawlers at that size. Look at the sticky about getting your hatchling to eat and follow it exactly!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-11-2019)

Thanks

Her enclosure size is 36in wide, 16in tall, 18in deep

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MedusaThePastelBP View Post
    Her enclosure size is 36in wide, 16in tall, 18in deep
    That could definitely be part of the problem, it's way to big for a small bp, they like small tight spaces to give them security and reduce stress.

Follow this to a T if you want to get your bp back on track.
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-hatchling-101

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-11-2019),dr del (11-11-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (11-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

I'd also bump up those temps by a couple of degrees - insulating the enclosure can help.

I'd also ask where you are measuring the temps - the best way is to measure inside both hides where the snake spends it's time. The easiest way to do this is a temp gun but telling us more about your enclosure might help us narrow down which tips we think might help.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast