Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,113

0 members and 3,113 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

2019 0.1 Rockhampton Coastal Carpet Python Progression

This tiny little worm pisses like every day for 3-4days starting two days after feeding. Which actually is kinda positive for helping her get used to interactions it seems. While cleaning her tub just now she only took a single shot at the heat lamp and one bluff at my hand, nowhere close to landing either.

Had her out 3-4minutes, began to curiously cruise my hands and then put her up. She’ll spaz a bit getting back on her perches almost every time though. I may get her a specialty enclosure design 3-D printed perch as they have more texture than plastic coat hanger MacGuyver perches. Or wrap some twine around her current perch setup. Could be more secure feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 11-27-2019 at 02:41 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-29-2019),EL-Ziggy (11-27-2019),Gio (11-27-2019),Reinz (11-27-2019),richardhind1972 (11-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: 2019 0.1 Rockhampton Coastal Carpet Python Progression

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    This tiny little worm pisses like every day for 3-4days starting two days after feeding. Which actually is kinda positive for helping her get used to interactions it seems. While cleaning her tub just now she only took a single shot at the heat lamp and one bluff at my hand, nowhere close to landing either.

Had her out 3-4minutes, began to curiously cruise my hands and then put her up. She’ll spaz a bit getting back on her perches almost every time though. I may get her a specialty enclosure design 3-D printed perch as they have more texture than plastic coat hanger MacGuyver perches. Or wrap some twine around her current perch setup. Could be more secure feeling.

JM, the twine is a great idea and the 2nd least expensive option. I have twine in the retic cage and it works well and looks good. It makes a sterile looking wood perch look somewhat natural.

You can see it here. This is one of those fence posts we chatted about way back.

There is also the fake vine option. More expensive but pretty neat looking.

Of course there is nothing like the real thing, and its free! I did staple in some fake plant leaves to spice it up.

At this point, I assume you are just jazzing up the current cage for her?

Once you start getting her "big girl" cage set up, I recommend a combo of real and fake perches.

I haven't had any bugs or other issues with the real branches. I usually spray them with a warm, soapy water rinse while lying flat. The soap solution usually stops the breathing of most insects. I let it sit, then rinse it all with scalding hot water.

The tree trunk in Wallace's cage actually sat in our basement for a year before it was ever used. Same thing with the branches in the boa and carpet cage.

I'm excited to see what you'll have for a final setup!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-29-2019),jmcrook (11-29-2019),Kam (11-29-2019),Reinz (11-30-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Yeah, just kinda thinking of twine for some perch security/tactile enrichment. Can’t really do anything for her big cage until I shuffle the boas around. Never heard back from AP about dividers and shelves for T25 so I’ll either see if my other cage guy can make parts for me or make them myself. I really just want black pvc so everything matches.

As soon as the boas move out of the T8 she’ll get half of that until she puts on some size. Part of me also wants to get a short rack system with 15 & 32qt tubs to grow her out in. Then I’d have grow out space for inevitable future additions lol. Gonna think on that though

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (11-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Yeah, just kinda thinking of twine for some perch security/tactile enrichment. Can’t really do anything for her big cage until I shuffle the boas around. Never heard back from AP about dividers and shelves for T25 so I’ll either see if my other cage guy can make parts for me or make them myself. I really just want black pvc so everything matches.

As soon as the boas move out of the T8 she’ll get half of that until she puts on some size. Part of me also wants to get a short rack system with 15 & 32qt tubs to grow her out in. Then I’d have grow out space for inevitable future additions lol. Gonna think on that though

Long term PVC, ruffed up a little with sandpaper, works great. Yafe loves that.

In his holding/quarntine tank I used fake bamboo with suction cups and that worked well.

Not sure what kind of enclosure you are using (sorry if I missed that), but those could work.

https://smile.amazon.com/Flukers-Bam...5086035&sr=8-3

Keep us posted. How's her temperament? Better each handling session?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (11-30-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I think I'm still leaning towards building Fernie a multi tier PVC "jungle gym". I'm thinking at least two tiers so she can choose and thermoregulate as desired. It'll be removable for easy access and cleaning too.

I think it's CALM who uses PVC and roughs it up with sandpaper. He then uses the spray paint that looks like stone to make it more naturalistic looking. I think I'm going to try that and then a few coats of clear coat. The paint itself dries kinda roughly textured so it would offer traction and grip support as well.

I love the way twine looks. But how is it to keep clean? That would be my only hesitation going that route. I'm a big fan of easy clean up, hahahhahaa.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-30-2019),jmcrook (11-30-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Jeff Ronne, who made my Boaphile tanks, made perch rests and sent me PVC.

I got extra and in black and used the sandpaper myself. Pretty easy and cheap.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I think I'm still leaning towards building Fernie a multi tier PVC "jungle gym". I'm thinking at least two tiers so she can choose and thermoregulate as desired. It'll be removable for easy access and cleaning too.

I think it's CALM who uses PVC and roughs it up with sandpaper. He then uses the spray paint that looks like stone to make it more naturalistic looking. I think I'm going to try that and then a few coats of clear coat. The paint itself dries kinda roughly textured so it would offer traction and grip support as well.

I love the way twine looks. But how is it to keep clean? That would be my only hesitation going that route. I'm a big fan of easy clean up, hahahhahaa.
    The twine stays relatively clean, I've actually never had to clean it.

Urates and stools become benign not too long after they start to dry. Your biggest enemy would be an overly moist cage. That could cause issues, but it would be quite odd to have an outbreak of something starting in the twine. I'd be far more concerned about a snake that soaks frequently in stagnate water.

Don't get me wrong, a clean cage is a good thing. That said, going overboard with sterilization isn't necessary. Your snake can build up its immune system by being exposed to lower levels of certain bacterias. Similar to humans, they can develop a tolerance, which is healthy. Again. I'm an advocate of a clean cage, but OCD maintenance is not as important as some think.

To get back on topic, twine will work well and isn't a big factor when it comes to sanitation.

Keep your snake's stress level low, keep the cage warm enough and monitor conditions to prevent extreme humidity and you can use about anything for perches.
    Last edited by Gio; 11-30-2019 at 09:18 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-30-2019),jmcrook (11-30-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    The twine stays relatively clean, I've actually never had to clean it.

Urates and stools become benign not too long after they start to dry. Your biggest enemy would be an overly moist cage. That could cause issues, but it would be quite odd to have an outbreak of something starting in the twine. I'd be far more concerned about a snake that soaks frequently in stagnate water.

Don't get me wrong, a clean cage is a good thing. That said, going overboard with sterilization isn't necessary. Your snake can build up its immune system by being exposed to lower levels of certain bacterias. Similar to humans, they can develop a tolerance, which is healthy. Again. I'm an advocate of a clean cage, but OCD maintenance is not as important as some think.

To get back on topic, twine will work well and isn't a big factor when it comes to sanitation.

Keep your snake's stress level low, keep the cage warm enough and monitor conditions to prevent extreme humidity and you can use about anything for perches.
    Thanks!!! That's good to know!

I'm a huge fan of keeping things simple. That being said, all my enclosures are "display" enclosures that I like to keep naturalistic looking. But when choosing what goes in I tend to opt for easy to remove and easy to clean.
    I always assumed twine, being porous, would be difficult to clean.
    I spot clean as needed and do full enclosures cleans 3-4 times per year depending on species and again, as needed.

Now that I feel more confident about using twine that opens some creative doors. Still go plenty of time though, so soooooo tiny! Hahaha!

Thanks again!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Gio (12-01-2019)

Thanks
    On the rare occasion a urate smear appears on the twine, I use very hot water and a tooth brush to loosen and remove it.

I just have never had issues with any of the perches getting dirty.

I too like to keep the display cage simple when it comes to cleaning.

Popping out 3 or 4 perches is easy and the biggest cleaning headache is removing and replacing the naturalistic substrate.

Carpets are such great display animals, and having a nice looking enclosure that shows them off is rewarding!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    On the rare occasion a urate smear appears on the twine, I use very hot water and a tooth brush to loosen and remove it.

I just have never had issues with any of the perches getting dirty. The most frequent maintenance I perform on the perches is usually removing the remains of a shed.

I too like to keep the display cage simple when it comes to cleaning.

Popping out 3 or 4 perches is easy and the biggest cleaning headache is removing and replacing the naturalistic substrate.

Carpets are such great display animals, and having a nice looking enclosure that shows them off is rewarding!

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast