Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,877

0 members and 2,877 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Enclosure advice?

Hi everyone! So I'm going to pick up my new baby gopher snake in hopefully the next week or two and I just wanted to check in here and make sure my enclosure is okay! It's an 18x24" exo terra that used to belong to my bp (he's now in a tub that's a bit better suited for him ), I know it's a little big since the gopher is still pretty small so I'm trying to make sure there's plenty of clutter and places to hide. I've got 3 identical hides (hot side, cool side, and in between), some toilet paper tubes and fake plants. I feel like the water dish might be too small? Not sure, it's definitely big enough that he could soak in it if he wanted but I don't know if I should get a bigger one just to fill out the space? If there's anything I should add or take away I'd really appreciate feedback! And don't pay attention to the thermometer/hygrometer, it was still adjusting when I took the pictures lol. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I think he'll have fun in there. Gopher snakes are not as shy as BPs, plus they're diurnal (active by day), & don't be surprised if he pushes his way under the paper
    towels, lol. But now that you've done all this decorating, I just want to remind you that you're taking a chance that he's coming to you mite-free; to be on the safe
    side, use only the bare minimum (hides, water & paper towels) until you're sure...otherwise you'll end up throwing the other stuff away. You don't need a huge water
    bowl, it's fine.

P.S. I'm jealous, I love gopher snakes! So I need lots of updates, lol.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bodie (11-07-2019),Ditto (11-07-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Enclosure advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I think he'll have fun in there. Gopher snakes are not as shy as BPs, plus they're diurnal (active by day), & don't be surprised if he pushes his way under the paper
    towels, lol. But now that you've done all this decorating, I just want to remind you that you're taking a chance that he's coming to you mite-free; to be on the safe
    side, use only the bare minimum (hides, water & paper towels) until you're sure...otherwise you'll end up throwing the other stuff away. You don't need a huge water
    bowl, it's fine.

P.S. I'm jealous, I love gopher snakes! So I need lots of updates, lol.
    You're completely right, I'll take some stuff out and replace it with more easily disposable clutter until I'm sure he's healthy and mite-free, good call!! And I'll definitely be posting about him a lot, I'm super excited!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ditto For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-07-2019)

Thanks
    One of the "toys" I gave my gopher snakes was a large terra cotta strawberry pot. I had to fix it to a base, so it couldn't be tipped it over, but they loved going in
    & out of the holes, around, over & every which way thru it, lol.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (11-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Your enclosure looks great and pits are really cool snakes to keep. Looking forward to seeing your new critter.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Ditto (11-07-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

So I took out the branches and plants for now, I put in a lot of paper towel strips for a little bit of ground clutter and left in the toilet paper tubes and hides and stuff, but I feel like now it's TOO bare? I dunno, what do y'all think?
    I've had the che on for about 24 hours now and just wanna make sure my temps are okay, it's sitting at 79-81* on the hot side and 70-75* cool side. Is there a better way to secure the thermostat probe? Right now I have it attached on the outside and dangling inside the tank under the che, not sure if there's a way to secure it on the inside as well?
    Also ignore the pink light in the pic, it's a plant light that's being moved before any snakes go in there lol

Thanks
    Don't be surprised if some of those paper "leaves" land in the water bowl...when he explores, he'll push them around & if they touch the water, it will slowly drain
    over the side of the bowl & make for a soggy substrate and an empty water bowl. Gopher snakes are burrowers, & instead of shreds loose in a cage like this,
    you'd be better off using crumpled paper of a heavier weight (or skip it entirely), & crumple those shreds & stuff them in the hides so they're cozier.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (11-07-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Don't be surprised if some of those paper "leaves" land in the water bowl...when he explores, he'll push them around & if they touch the water, it will slowly drain
    over the side of the bowl & make for a soggy substrate and an empty water bowl. Gopher snakes are burrowers, & instead of shreds loose in a cage like this,
    you'd be better off using crumpled paper of a heavier weight (or skip it entirely), & crumple those shreds & stuff them in the hides so they're cozier.
    Thanks for the advice, I didn't even think about that! I'll switch them out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I didn't even think about that! I'll switch them out

I've lived with a fair number of Pituophis, lol...they like to rearrange the furniture, & they don't exactly tiptoe...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (11-07-2019)