Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,957

2 members and 2,955 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Threaded View

Thanks

Exclamation Hello, and help...please

Hello, 1st time poster here. I have gotten so much from this group in keeping my #1 ball Monty happy and healthy, just by reading posts over the last few years. But I find I need some specific guidance and support for my new #2, who is in trouble.

I have only had Ramses for 5 days. All the following is based on what I was told of his history. When I rescued him, I was told he was born August 6th, 2019. Supposedly he ate intermittently until Oct 8th, which was the last time he has eaten, a f/t mouse fuzzy. When I first saw him, he was clearly stressed, pacing back and forth and head butting. He was in a tank with other larger balls. I was told he had lost weight in the time he had not been eating but dont know how much. I just needed to get him out of there. So I adpoted him and took him home.

When i got home, he weighed in at 55g. For a supposedly 3 month old. His husbandry here is good, temps, humidity, multiple hides in hot and cold areas. I did not have high hopes of his eating right away, but tried a mouse fuzzy the first day, no go. I have since left him alone, no handling, in a room with no traffic and dark conditions, only doing basic husbandry duties, leaving him be. I have seen him only twice in 5 days, checking things out briefly before diving back in his hide.

Skip to today. Tried to feed f/t mouse fuzzy. Warmed with hair dryer. Cut into mouse to bleed just a bit. Was holding in tongs playing it moving about 3 inches in front of hide for about 10 minutes. Didnt even see a face at the hide door. Then, worst timing ever, a red bulb i was using for just minimal light to see while I was i there, blew, making a big popping sound. Chance blown. I left the mouse in the cage and exited. Just checked back after about an hour. Hasnt been touched.

My main concern is his weight. If he wasnt so underweight, I would feel like we could wait this out. But i am panicked he is going to die. I have assist fed snakes in the past, been a while tho and I am very hesitant to stress the guy out more. I havent had experience with guys this small and close to the edge.

I would appeciate any help, advise, or support anyone can throw my way. Thanks!
    Last edited by Sanyassin; 11-06-2019 at 05:00 PM.