Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,766

1 members and 2,765 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

My little headache...

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post
    If you are asking me if I do all that "dim lighting, stand on one foot, make sure they are in a hide, make sure it's past 6:30 EST, blast it with a hair dryer while doing a coordinated zombie dance with a dead frozen thawed rodent..? No.. I don't. I have found that after keeping multiple animals and making my own mistakes, if I place the animal in the best environment for THEIR species I don't need to do all that.

What I was referring to is that this gentleman has tried everything to include LIVE PREY.. If the animal doesn't eat live prey after all of the spot on husbandry changes he made then there is a slight problem... Blasting a FT rodent with a hair dryer will never, ever be as good as a live rat, mouse or ASF...

Thing is SOME will only strike /eat WARM food , SOME will only strike from within their hides , SOME will only eat in dim lighting.

My point was really that THAT particular method has worked amazingly well for my Royals down the years and it isn’t a silly little Harry Potter style magic spell ... also even ‘my’ method will have to be repeated 5 , 6 even 7 times before they take the bait .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 11-06-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks

Re: My little headache...

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Thing is SOME will only strike /eat WARM food , SOME will only strike from within their hides , SOME will only eat in dim lighting.

My point was really that THAT particular method has worked amazingly well for my Royals down the years and it isn’t a silly little Harry Potter style magic spell ... also even ‘my’ method will have to be repeated 5 , 6 even 7 times before they take the bait .

Unfortunately some people don't have 5, 6 or 7 weeks to continue offering FT items to snakes that will more than likely not eat them. I'm glad that worked for you, I truly am.. However, I will never force any of my collection to eat FT... When they are off food for a certain amount of time I try live.. That simple.. I completely understand that people want to feed frozen thawed and there is 45 methods to thawing them out and dancing them around I get it... At the end of the day everyone needs to understand that when buying a snake at some point you have to be willing and able to feed it live prey... Simple as that.. I don't believe in making an animal go weeks or months and once a week shoving a dead rat in their face that was blown probably too hot with a hair dryer.. Sorry, just my two cents...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

If you are asking me if I do all that "dim lighting, stand on one foot, make sure they are in a hide, make sure it's past 6:30 EST, blast it with a hair dryer while doing a coordinated zombie dance with a dead frozen thawed rodent..? No.. I don't. I have found that after keeping multiple animals and making my own mistakes, if I place the animal in the best environment for THEIR species I don't need to do all that.

What I was referring to is that this gentleman has tried everything to include LIVE PREY.. If the animal doesn't eat live prey after all of the spot on husbandry changes he made then there is a slight problem... Blasting a FT rodent with a hair dryer will never, ever be as good as a live rat, mouse or ASF...
    I agree Moose84 especially with a live mouse which usually enticing to most all BP's.

To OP is this snake called Truffle. I seen a pic of Truffle and at the end of the tail it looks just kind of weird to me, does anyone else notice that dent or squished spot on a pic of Truffle? Might not even be the same snake and I might be totally wrong on my observation. But just was wondering about that and if that could be part of the problem. Here is the pic. Hopefully--->
    Last edited by ballpythonsrock2; 11-06-2019 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    I agree Moose84 especially with a live mouse which usually enticing to most all BP's.

To OP is this snake called Truffle. I seen a pic of Truffle and at the end of the tail it looks just kind of weird to me, does anyone else notice that dent or squished spot on a pic of Truffle? Might not even be the same snake and I might be totally wrong on my observation. But just was wondering about that and if that could be part of the problem. Here is the pic. Hopefully--->

I don't think this is the same animal.. The picture he posted here doesn't show a kinked looking tail with the snake spread out. I agree that animal does look kinked in the picture..

Thanks

After a bit of research it is the same animal.. The picture uploaded this morning definitely didn't look kinked like that. Interesting..

Thanks

Unfortunately some people don't have 5, 6 or 7 weeks to continue offering FT items to snakes that will more than likely not eat them. I'm glad that worked for you, I truly am.. However, I will never force any of my collection to eat FT... When they are off food for a certain amount of time I try live.. That simple.. I completely understand that people want to feed frozen thawed and there is 45 methods to thawing them out and dancing them around I get it... At the end of the day everyone needs to understand that when buying a snake at some point you have to be willing and able to feed it live prey... Simple as that.. I don't believe in making an animal go weeks or months and once a week shoving a dead rat in their face that was blown probably too hot with a hair dryer.. Sorry, just my two cents...
    It’s not referring to 6 or 7 WEEKS !!

It means try the method 6 or 7 times in as many minutes .

So if the snake doesn’t strike the first time you have to reheat the mouse/rat with the hairdryer and offer the food instantly again ... then repeat as many times as you can be bothered . Too many offer a cool mouse ONCE then just give it up as a bad job . That’s why I always emphasise the method so carefully.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (11-07-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It’s not referring to 6 or 7 WEEKS !!

It means try the method 6 or 7 times in as many minutes .

So if the snake doesn’t strike the first time you have to reheat the mouse/rat with the hairdryer and offer the food instantly again ... then repeat as many times as you can be bothered . Too many offer a cool mouse ONCE then just give it up as a bad job . That’s why I always emphasise the method so carefully.

We did this dance for almost 2 months straight, 5 or 6 times per night, with the hair dryer and/or heat tape for re-heats. Never took F/T for me. Shortly there after she took a live rat crawler for me. Haven't gone back to F/T or PK yet as she won't eat live consistently. You can stop beating this horse, I've tried.

After a bit of research it is the same animal.. The picture uploaded this morning definitely didn't look kinked like that. Interesting..
    Aye,

That is the same snake. She's a little bigger. If she had any physically apparent defects I 1) wouldn't have bought her or 2) wouldn't have spent what I spent on her.

She was fresh from shipping bag in that picture and slightly curled. She's not got a kink or anything of the like. No abnormalities that I can find physically.

But yes, same snake.

Paul

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (11-07-2019),Bogertophis (11-07-2019)

Thanks

My little headache...

Quote Originally Posted by pbenner View Post
    We did this dance for almost 2 months straight, 5 or 6 times per night, with the hair dryer and/or heat tape for re-heats. Never took F/T for me. Shortly there after she took a live rat crawler for me. Haven't gone back to F/T or PK yet as she won't eat live consistently. You can stop beating this horse, I've tried.

Aye,

That is the same snake. She's a little bigger. If she had any physically apparent defects I 1) wouldn't have bought her or 2) wouldn't have spent what I spent on her.

She was fresh from shipping bag in that picture and slightly curled. She's not got a kink or anything of the like. No abnormalities that I can find physically.

But yes, same snake.

Paul
    It’s true there’s no perfect way ... of course here in the uk LIVE feeding is pretty much a no no ..

Last edited by Zincubus; 11-07-2019 at 08:37 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (11-07-2019)

Thanks

It’s true there’s no perfect way ... of course here in the uk LIVE feeding is pretty much a no no ..

So what do you do when the animal won't eat FT?? I have had snakes that will NOT eat FT.. Period, end of story.. Do you just let the animal die?? I do my due diligence in trying to get animals onto FT but there comes a time where the animal suffers because it doesn't know any better... Just seems cruel to me..

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (11-07-2019),Bogertophis (11-07-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

There are a lot of things that are illegal or that you need a permit for that we enjoy without restriction here. I breed my own rats, so I could feed live without anyone but myself knowing.

The majority of my snakes take PK or F/T prey readily enough. More often we go for PK as I cull from my feeder bins and then do the feedings.

Paul

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast