Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 897

2 members and 895 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    To OP: just want to say you have my sympathy. I completely understand your frustration but I was fortunate and with the help of this forum, got my bp to eat when he was little. Now as an adult, he started that fasting trend again (he stopped eating for 6 months, ate again, then in late Oct started again) but the husbandry is on point, his tub has been downsized, prey item is the same size or tried mice, and left completely alone and still he would rather do anything but eat. That's fine, whatever, it gets annoying though because I love feeding my snakes.

I guess some animals are fine living life on the edge.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: My little headache...

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post
    So what do you do when the animal won't eat FT?? I have had snakes that will NOT eat FT.. Period, end of story.. Do you just let the animal die?? I do my due diligence in trying to get animals onto FT but there comes a time where the animal suffers because it doesn't know any better... Just seems cruel to me..
    Well so far it’s not happened and so I can’t comment .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

So what do you do when the animal won't eat FT?? I have had snakes that will NOT eat FT.. Period, end of story.. Do you just let the animal die?? I do my due diligence in trying to get animals onto FT but there comes a time where the animal suffers because it doesn't know any better... Just seems cruel to me..
    I'll say it again, the hunger ALWAYS wins in the end. I wouldn't let an animal die but I have yet to see a healthy animal starve itself to death when food was available. Sustenance is sustenance. A healthy human will eat a f/t rat if they get hungry enough. I've had a few snakes that were stubborn eaters when I got them and have had a couple of them take extended food breaks even when I did feed live. I'm probably in the minority but I don't worry when my snakes don't eat anymore. If I think the animal is sick I take it to the vet but as long as they're not losing significant weight I just keep offering food until they decide they want to eat again. If they get to 3-4 months without food I might try a live feeder. I have 11 snakes and they all eat f/t even though many of them started out on live prey. I guess there are animals that will never take f/t but I believe they're extremely rare. Most animals would rather eat anything than to painfully starve to death. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 11-07-2019 at 02:37 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (11-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

I agree...I've known some very stubborn snakes too, & when they lose noticeable weight & energy they aren't going to suddenly get an appetite back, any more than a
    hospital patient would without an I.V. Snakes are "wild" animals that rely on instincts...& those instincts know what they're looking for- live prey. Most can be switched
    & that's always best, but some will just go downhill & so does their immune system...then you have not only a starved snake, but a sick one. I'm all for kindness to
    rodents, but the snakes are my pets & their needs come first. I think that's just being realistic.

I do understand that we don't all operate under the same set of rules about feeding live...I guess in that case, I'd do a tube-feed, but it's not the same thing as triggering
    a snake's natural instincts with that first live meal. I've raised quite a few hatchlings & neonates of many kinds, including 4 BPs.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Moose84 (11-07-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    To OP: just want to say you have my sympathy. I completely understand your frustration but I was fortunate and with the help of this forum, got my bp to eat when he was little. Now as an adult, he started that fasting trend again (he stopped eating for 6 months, ate again, then in late Oct started again) but the husbandry is on point, his tub has been downsized, prey item is the same size or tried mice, and left completely alone and still he would rather do anything but eat. That's fine, whatever, it gets annoying though because I love feeding my snakes.

I guess some animals are fine living life on the edge.
    Hi bud,

Thank you! Every time she has me ready to do something more drastic, she finally eats something. The other thread has some information on her, but she last ate an ASF about 2 weeks ago.

I have offered her another rat crawler, but she did not want that, and I don't have another ASF currently as a feeder. I'll have one soon.

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

I'm reluctant to advise this ( it is not a nutritional meal long term ) but have you tried day old chicks?

In a smaller snake you usually have to break it up into either legs or heads ( neither of which is a great meal nutritionally ) but nearly all of mine love the occasional chick when offered as a bit of variety.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-08-2019),Zincubus (11-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    I'm reluctant to advise this ( it is not a nutritional meal long term ) but have you tried day old chicks?

In a smaller snake you usually have to break it up into either legs or heads ( neither of which is a great meal nutritionally ) but nearly all of mine love the occasional chick when offered as a bit of variety.
    Yes chicks are fabulous ‘treats’ or alternatives.. a couple of my Royals will have a meal and if they’re still sniffing around I quickly thaw a couple of chicks and they wolf them down ..

I also had huge Male Pied that was on an extensive fast (15 months !) and he was kickstarted when I recently left a couple of chick heads on a dish in his viv .... I tried every trick on the book ( yes even the usually fabulous hairdryer trick lol ) but this lad refused everything including mice /rats / gerbils / guinea pigs / hamsters and even flamin’ multimates !

Two chick heads and then he ate 4 whole chicks !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post

I have not. There are not many active poultry around me at the moment, so finding them could be difficult, but I'll put out feelers.

Thank you for this suggestion. I'll try one, but will not be offering them weekly for sure.

Paul

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234