Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,732

2 members and 2,730 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Light for night time viewing.

I want to get a light so I can watch the snakes move about during the night but want to do so without interfering with their night cycle. I know they can see the red light from the red bulbs, and I don’t need to add heat to the room anyways. What would a good choice be? Would a black light be the best option?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Red light is not the same as infrared light. Many people uses infrared for viewing and heat at night. However, it is still under debate whether or not reptiles can see 'light from infrared, blue and black lights. Lizards like bearded dragons have a 'third eye' and can see the spectrum of light, that is why only CHE is recommended at night to allow them to get a full night's rest and reduce stress. Snakes may or may not have this. And all except LED produce some amount of heat, so it will need to be adjusted and controlled by a thermostat.

Lights that produce no heat is LED. They are commonly used for viewing during the day, not at night.

Another option is ambient lighting. It won't light up the tank from directly from above which can be stressful for the snake. If your tank is in your bedroom, placing the tank next to your night stand where your lamp would be would allow light to enter the tank without disturbing your snake. Then when you go to sleep, simply turn off your lamp. Your snake would really not care for a night light anyway. That is how I have my corn snake tanks set up in my bedroom.

Thanks
    It wouldn’t be a light for the cage. I should of mentioned that. I have my own snake room. It would be in the room, not on cage. The room has a light for the day/night cycle, but obviously don’t want that on at night.