Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,889

2 members and 2,887 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Help! Concerned spider owner.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    I’ve had a bumblebee for years and he’s never had any issues. You can only see the wobble/corkscrewing rarely. Once when I moved and he was stressed and the other when he missed a rat and hit glass. Other than one time he’s never missed a strike and eats like a champ. Don’t believe everything you read/see online. I recommend watching Clint’s Reptiles video on it or NERD’s since Kevin pretty much created the morph. Absolutely no need to freak or feel guilty. A lot of the videos on YouTube are clickbait and/or feature rescued animals that could have additional underlying issues. If you animal has the proper husbandry it’ll thrive. The spider gene is NOT debilitating. Hopefully these sources will assist in clearing up the facts versus the bs for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mare they good pets... yes, and I don’t want to start a debate with anyone but why do u feel like they should be continued to be breed? The only thing a spider morph is a different pattern. That’s all. And to be selfish enough where u breed an animal that is known to have issues just because it looks cool isn’t the best. When it came out yes it looked cool but now there are thousands of other morphs out there to choose from.

If u were breeding dogs and u could make a German shepherd that had stripes on it and looked cool but most of them have a neurological issue and they fall over when excited and happy or even when u feel them, they just spazam out and fall over. Would u be cool with that?
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

DandD (11-26-2019)

Thanks

I’m with danger noodle on this one... The problem is, yes people would still breed animals with genetic issues as long as the cash flow keeps coming.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    Mare they good pets... yes, and I don’t want to start a debate with anyone but why do u feel like they should be continued to be breed? The only thing a spider morph is a different pattern. That’s all. And to be selfish enough where u breed an animal that is known to have issues just because it looks cool isn’t the best. When it came out yes it looked cool but now there are thousands of other morphs out there to choose from.

If u were breeding dogs and u could make a German shepherd that had stripes on it and looked cool but most of them have a neurological issue and they fall over when excited and happy or even when u feel them, they just spazam out and fall over. Would u be cool with that?
    Not to be rude but I don’t have time to type a lengthy and in-depth response as that would take pages. I really think Clint’s video brings up some good points, the majority of which I agree with as it’s backed by science not emotion. I’d recommend listening to him to hear “the other side”. The overwhelming majority of people that own spiders don’t have issues and there’s probably a reason for that... In the end it’s up to the buyer. If you don’t like the morph, ok cool, don’t buy it. I definitely don’t think it should be banned.

Thanks
    Would you choose to not have kids of your own knowing the hundreds of defects we carry in our shared human dna could cause a multitude of disorders and disabilities?
    If we lived our lives only thinking about and expecting the worst possible outcomes of every scenario. We would still be living in caves afraid of the dark.

My bumblebee female is my favourite snake, perfect in every way. For someone else to tell me she's sick or disabled and shouldn't exist. Seems like someone trying to exert their opinion onto somebody else.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MattEvans For This Useful Post:

MarkL1561 (11-26-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattEvans View Post
    Would you choose to not have kids of your own knowing the hundreds of defects we carry in our shared human dna could cause a multitude of disorders and disabilities?
    If we lived our lives only thinking about and expecting the worst possible outcomes of every scenario. We would still be living in caves afraid of the dark.

My bumblebee female is my favourite snake, perfect in every way. For someone else to tell me she's sick or disabled and shouldn't exist. Seems like someone trying to exert their opinion onto somebody else.
    I know right? Seems like most of the people that are against the spider morph don’t have any and are solely basing their opinion off of online sources. Many of the videos I’ve seen online of debilitating wobble are from rescue animals. One of the worst videos on the subject is by GoHerping on YouTube imo. Nice guy but was using a neglected snake as an example. Also just saw his new video where he got a rescued normal bp that has worse wobble than a spider... People seem to love jumping onto the bandwagon especially if they feel it puts them on a moral high ground even if they have no clue what they’re talking about. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it is not acceptable to demonize spider owners and/or breeders. Sounds like this poor kid traded out his dream snake due to false information.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

MattEvans (11-26-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattEvans View Post

the difference is that there is a relatively small chance that my children would be disabled. The spider morph always has a neurological issue wether a lot or a little. My friends had a disabled child and went through years of testing to be sure that if they tried again they would have a healthy child. So the answer is yes everyday people make the decision not to have children based on genetic defects they could potentially have. Own all the spider morphs you want I don’t care, but don’t pretend it’s not a problem.
    Last edited by DandD; 11-26-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DandD View Post
    the difference is that there is a relatively small chance that my children would be disabled. The spider morph always has a neurological issue wether a lot or a little. My friends had a disabled child and went through years of testing to be sure that if they tried again they would have a healthy child. So the answer is yes everyday people make the decision not to have children based on genetic defects they could potentially have. Own all the spider morphs you want I don’t care, but don’t pretend it’s not a problem.
    Saying owning spiders is a problem is equally as subjective as saying owning any animal is wrong... Again that is your OPINION don’t confuse it with facts. Anywho... I don’t think the OP is active on this thread anymore so this “debate” isn’t really helping anyone. I just chimed in because the OP felt it was wrong to own a spider and assumed it’d have a debilitating wobble which isn’t accurate at all. If he wants a spider he shouldn’t be harassed for his decision. If he ask for information he should be provided with factual information based on evidence not anecdotal “evidence”. Yes the spider gene has neurological effects but the majority of the time it’s not a disability as it doesn’t impact their lives or keep them from thriving. Again I recommend listening to sources I mentioned for a different perspective.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

MattEvans (11-26-2019),rufretic (11-26-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12