Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,804

0 members and 2,804 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Help! Concerned spider owner.

Help! Concerned spider owner.

You could say I got taken or you could say I didnt do my full research.

I have a spider bp and never knew the wobble was such a bad thing a little wobble is fine but i have heard that they have no sense of balance etc, my spider head does backflips sometimes like ive seen a lot do.

Does this mean i shouldn't handle him, for if he tips over he cant get back up etc might fall as apperently they dont know how to use their bodies, how true is this ?

Last but not least mine ate a piece of reptibarc with his mouse the other day and then 4 days later a bit of diarrhea was noticed , is this because of the bark he ate or due to other reasons , during the day he hides in his cooler hide or warm depending on temp and at night he is active but not too active, so he seems normal and fine , I just thought id ask some more thoughts on this.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 11-05-2019 at 11:00 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Help! Concerned spider owner.

Spider gene or not it sounds like a normal BP to me.
    "he hides in his cooler hide or warm depending on temp and at night he is active but not too active".

From my experience the severity of the wobble varies from animal to animal, some cork screw and others you could hardly tell. If it’s eating fine and growing fine, I don’t see a concern. As for handling, I would treat it as I would treat any other BP.

Thanks
    As long as it eats your good just plz don’t breed them.
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The fact that you got a spider is 100% on you, when you buy an animal you do extensive research, would you just go and buy any dog without research and knowing if it is the right fit or if there are certain health concerns with a certain breed? The answer is no and the same applies to snakes.

Now luckily a spider is not has bad as you make it sound to be, matter of fact the issue if you can call it that has been greatly exageratedby a lot of people that don't have a clue and never owned one simply because they saw a video of one train wreck.

They are more inquisitive they feed amazingly and severe wobble are the exception. Usually it is mild and hardly noticeable and is more likely to be notice around feeding time due to the excitement.

The key is to limit stress which goes for any ball python and keep your tempertures no higher than 86/88, if you keep a spider at a higher temperture you will accentuate the wobble.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

asplundii (11-06-2019),Craiga 01453 (11-05-2019),dr del (11-05-2019),MattEvans (11-26-2019),rufretic (11-26-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    The fact that you got a spider is 100% on you, when you buy an animal you do extensive research, would you just go and buy any dog without research and knowing if it is the right fit or if there are certain health concerns with a certain breed? The answer is no and the same applies to snakes.

Now luckily a spider is not has bad as you make it sound to be, matter of fact the issue if you can call it that has been greatly exageratedby a lot of people that don't have a clue and never owned one simply because they saw a video of one train wreck.

They are more inquisitive they feed amazingly and severe wobble are the exception. Usually it is mild and hardly noticeable and is more likely to be notice around feeding time due to the excitement.

The key is to limit stress which goes for any ball python and keep your tempertures no higher than 86/88, if you keep a spider at a higher temperture you will accentuate the wobble.

I appreciate your reply and is very helpfull i asked the breeder about the wobble and his exact words was "its not bad at all" thats when i made up my mind and said ill take it, its the second week now and every night he comes out to explore a bit he gets to one end and wants to turn around to go back ythe other way but then corckscrews again which in my eyes i feel very sorry for it but i am inlove with the pattern of this spider gene.

I mentioned to the breeder I am not happy with the sanke as his wobble is severe and i was told otherwise, he has now offered me a butter pastel enchi and was wondering if there is any special interesting facts about these guys for example good eaters in general ? Do they Usually thrive ? Are they maybe inquisitive as well as I like those 2 facts about the spider hoping for same in the butter pastel enchi.

Sorry to all Im a noob, but very eager and very exciting time for me.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Albert420 View Post
    I appreciate your reply and is very helpfull i asked the breeder about the wobble and his exact words was "its not bad at all" thats when i made up my mind and said ill take it, its the second week now and every night he comes out to explore a bit he gets to one end and wants to turn around to go back ythe other way but then corckscrews again which in my eyes i feel very sorry for it but i am inlove with the pattern of this spider gene.

I mentioned to the breeder I am not happy with the sanke as his wobble is severe and i was told otherwise, he has now offered me a butter pastel enchi and was wondering if there is any special interesting facts about these guys for example good eaters in general ? Do they Usually thrive ? Are they maybe inquisitive as well as I like those 2 facts about the spider hoping for same in the butter pastel enchi.

Sorry to all Im a noob, but very eager and very exciting time for me.

Ball Python eat, poop. breed granted you know how to care for them and you have done some research that's is all there is to it, Spiders have their quirks which have turned out to be positive that have been observed in various owner's collection but a BP is a BP is a BP.

Now what you need to focus on for the next time so no breeder has to deal with your buyer's remorse is what mutations maybe an issue for you http://www.owalreptiles.com/issues.php
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

dr del (11-05-2019)

Thanks

Lol thank you so much and sure will do thanbk you , luckily the breeder is a very mellow chap and happy to serve me otherwise as i offered him a 100 bucks for the effort and kindness , we both came to a very nice gentleman's agreement at the end.

Thanks
    Hi! I don't post on here often, but I have a rescue spider.

I've noticed that her wobble generally worsens when she's stressed or had too much handling for one day. I really wish they weren't bred and I'm sorry the breeder didn't inform you of the neuro issue these snakes have. It can be really frightening and heartbreaking to see. I hope you listen to advice and don't breed these animals.

The only other advice I can give is that you have to be very careful with feeding. I tend to open both doors, lift the hide she's under up and get it out of the way, and hold the rat a little higher so she doesn't hit anything with her face.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantomfugue For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-25-2019),Luvyna (11-26-2019)

Thanks

Hopefully someday we will no longer need to discuss this spider gene. Regardless of how severe or how insignificant the wobble is, there is really no need to continue with this gene.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DandD For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (11-26-2019)

Thanks

I’ve had a bumblebee for years and he’s never had any issues. You can only see the wobble/corkscrewing rarely. Once when I moved and he was stressed and the other when he missed a rat and hit glass. Other than one time he’s never missed a strike and eats like a champ. Don’t believe everything you read/see online. I recommend watching Clint’s Reptiles video on it or NERD’s since Kevin pretty much created the morph. Absolutely no need to freak or feel guilty. A lot of the videos on YouTube are clickbait and/or feature rescued animals that could have additional underlying issues. If you animal has the proper husbandry it’ll thrive. The spider gene is NOT debilitating. Hopefully these sources will assist in clearing up the facts versus the bs for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast