Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,615

2 members and 2,613 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you!

Thanks

Thank you!

So, a while back I had posted here about my ball python that I was having loads of problems with, specifically feeding. Anyway I want to thank everyone who commented on my thread because I got him to eat about A month after that thread was posted! I got busy and kind of forgot so, I didn't post for a bit but I figured I would do it now. The main problems where how big his tank was I fixed that real quick and he seemed better. The main thing that I think was causing him not to eat, was his hide. I had noticed he was always curled into these plastic flowers I had in his tank, this sparked the idea that I should get more flowers. I went shopping and got some vines a new leafy hide and tons of flowers. When I got home I removed him and had a full remodeling of the tank. I got to work with my glue gun and made tons of hidey spots for him as well as climbing ones as he loves to climb. I moved him back in, and he loved it! Two weeks later he ate his first meal, and I was so happy I almost cried. The only thing now is that he try's to bite me anytime I try to do anything and I can't handle him. I have tried but he just doesn't seem to be handle able. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong with handling. Hopefully I can work this out. I may post another update soon but not sure, anyway I just wanted to thank everyone greatly. It was such A simple problem yet I stressed over it for months I really appreciate you guys help thanks again!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ciaran_songs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    He's just young...shy & defensive is normal, otherwise baby snakes don't survive predators, which his instincts are still telling him that you are, lol. Stay patient, he'll
    get beyond this, as will you, hopefully with all 10 fingers intact, lol.

"Baby" snakes that are too passive aren't necessarily healthy or happy, just scared or weak. I'd rather have one show some spunk & eat. He'll get there.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-06-2019 at 10:19 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ciaran_songs (11-06-2019)

Thanks

Re: Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    He's just young...shy & defensive is normal, otherwise baby snakes don't survive predators, which his instincts are still telling him that you are, lol. Stay patient, he'll
    get beyond this, as will you, hopefully with all 10 fingers intact, lol.

"Baby" snakes that are too passive aren't necessarily healthy or happy, just scared or weak. I'd rather have one show some spunk & eat. He'll get there.
    Thanks! Although I am not sure he is a baby anymore, he will be a year old in about a month. But maybe that is still considered a baby? I'm not sure but either way, I will have to keep trying until I earn his trust!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ciaran_songs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Another thing that occurs to me: remember that it's mostly our approach that scares snakes, & one way to avoid bites is to use a small snake hook to just
    lift up your BP (aim for mid-body) & put him onto your hand, & at that point I'd cuddle him next to me so he feels sheltered & safe. Snakes hate being out
    in the open, instinctively knowing that's asking for trouble from predators by being so exposed. See if that helps him get to know & accept you better? You'll
    want to sit & hold him (very low key, keep your hands fairly still & underneath him to avoid nips) for 30 minutes or so, to give him time to learn your scent &
    touch, & to learn to relax in your presence. Now that he has more cover in his home, he eats better but feels bolder, lol. Don't worry, this phase will pass.

I didn't remember exactly how old yours is now, but yes, he's young anyway, & still learning. It goes for snakes of all ages that it takes time to work humans
    into their world...we're not in their original script. Snakes mostly all learn to accept us when we're patient & show them there's nothing to fear. A snake that
    still hasn't learned to accept handling may as well be a "baby".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-06-2019 at 11:08 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Can you upload a picture of this animal and maybe a weight on it? I just read through the initial thread and there were several red flags... Is this animal still in a massive enclosure?

Thanks

After learning with mine and teaching my kids how to handle I have learned that confidence is key. Best way to learn is with a hook it will build confidence for you and then you will be handling in no time.

N.E.R.D. has a video "how to handle large defensive snake". My daughter followed it and she was free handling within a week.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to walzon1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post
    Can you upload a picture of this animal and maybe a weight on it? I just read through the initial thread and there were several red flags... Is this animal still in a massive enclosure?
    I have him in a 25 gal tank with many spaces to hide now. I use my laptop to post on here so I don't have photo's, I could switch over to my phone but I am unsure of my password as I have it saved only on my laptop. I don't have a scale for small animals but, he looks great! I have made sure to not over feed him so he's not over weight he looks really healthy. I can try to post a picture but I am not sure.

Thanks

Thanks, I will have to check it out. I am looking forward to being able to handle him! :)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post
    I can't upload the photo, sorry I can't figure out how it works and I only have older images if I manage to get it to work I will though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Another thing that occurs to me: remember that it's mostly our approach that scares snakes, & one way to avoid bites is to use a small snake hook to just
    lift up your BP (aim for mid-body) & put him onto your hand, & at that point I'd cuddle him next to me so he feels sheltered & safe. Snakes hate being out
    in the open, instinctively knowing that's asking for trouble from predators by being so exposed. See if that helps him get to know & accept you better? You'll
    want to sit & hold him (very low key, keep your hands fairly still & underneath him to avoid nips) for 30 minutes or so, to give him time to learn your scent &
    touch, & to learn to relax in your presence. Now that he has more cover in his home, he eats better but feels bolder, lol. Don't worry, this phase will pass.

I didn't remember exactly how old yours is now, but yes, he's young anyway, & still learning. It goes for snakes of all ages that it takes time to work humans
    into their world...we're not in their original script. Snakes mostly all learn to accept us when we're patient & show them there's nothing to fear. A snake that
    still hasn't learned to accept handling may as well be a "baby".
    Thanks for the tips! I am really nervous though, I'm scared of him biting but that's only a bit. What I am mainly scared of is that if he bites or try's to that I will drop him. I am pretty positive if he does try or succeeds that I will jump. I am scared that I will drop or hurt him, I had a gecko bite me once and I dropped him he was fine but I felt so horrible. I want my little noodle to be safe and not get hurt, I guess I could try sitting on a blanket on the floor. I have a small snake hook that I use when I get him out to clean so that would probably work. I just need to work up the courage and do it! Hopefully I can let you know how it goes afterwords, I will have to wait a bit though as his feeding day is tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast