Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,990

0 members and 2,990 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Feel we are not making progress...

Quote Originally Posted by siwueofk View Post
    I just realized I don't have a heating pad small enough for a 12 qt tub, so that would be an additional $15-ish dollars plus $7-ish dollars to buy the tub. If I kept him in his current enclosure, would he eventually chill out? Or do you guys strongly recommend I make the investment.

$22.00 to put the snake in an environment where he will be better off? If you want the snake to stay stressed out and tag at you when you go in his tub then keep doing what you are doing. I just don’t think 22 dollars is a lot to ask when you more than likely invested hundreds of dollars in the animal from a reputable breeder.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (11-05-2019),jmcrook (11-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Feel we are not making progress...

Is it a stand alone tub? If so you are not required to place the entire UTH under the tub... that’s saves you your $15 heat pad purchase. Just place the tub such that the UTH covers the area you need heated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 11-04-2019 at 08:17 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-05-2019),Sanyassin (11-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post
    $22.00 to put the snake in an environment where he will be better off? If you want the snake to stay stressed out and tag at you when you go in his tub then keep doing what you are doing. I just don’t think 22 dollars is a lot to ask when you more than likely invested hundreds of dollars in the animal from a reputable breeder.
    Well there's also the issue of not being wasteful. I'm done with getting snakes, so afterwards I would have no uses for them.

Thanks

Use the tub to put supplies in maybe? Sounds like you are looking for every reason not to move the animal and that is your right. But don’t blame the animal when it continues to act accordingly. Not his fault.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Look, your snake is acting like a typical baby ball python: hiding during the day, active at night, eating, etc. It's just defensive because in its world you are a great big Godzilla monster that will gobble it up, and a few weeks of handling isn't going to overcome those instincts. So, here are some tips on how I get my babies to settle, and not just ball pythons, but dwarf boas and BRB's, both of which are well known for biting as neonates.

When I pick them up I try to distract them with one hand, moving it slowly but just out of strike range, while sneaking around behind with the other. Get your fingers underneath it and pick it up. If they do end up striking, accept that you're going to bleed and just pick it up.

Always handle it gently and support it from underneath without being restrictive. You want to make it feel like it's not in danger of falling, but without being "grabby".

If it balls up in your hand you can gently cup your hands together to make a "cave" and let it peek out through your fingers.

Only put them away when they are relaxed, and never immediately after they strike.

One trick I used was to make a fist and then put my hand down into the tub so the back of my hand faced the snake. Then I would just let them go to town striking at me. It doesn't hurt and eventually they give up because you don't go away when they strike; you only remove your hand when they quit.

I like to keep the initial handling sessions short, and once the snake relaxes or starts to move around, I reward it by returning it to its home. They need to learn that striking does not get them what they want, which is to be left alone.

Finally, watch your shadow. I've noticed that when I'm backlit my snakes are a lot more defensive.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-05-2019),GoingPostal (11-05-2019),siwueofk (11-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I'm done with getting snakes

That’s a rather strange comment from a snake keeper we’re usually straining at the leash to get the NEXT one ..

For my part I’d cram some fake silk /plastic leaves /branches in there !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 11-05-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    That’s a rather strange comment from a snake keeper we’re usually straining at the leash to get the NEXT one ..

For my part I’d cram some fake silk /plastic leaves /branches in there !!

Uh. Ok. I've literally never seen your user name before ever.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Uh. Ok. I've literally never seen your user name before ever.
    Not sure how that’s relevant but no matter ..

So what did you mean by ‘ I’m done with snakes ‘ ?

Sounds like you’re completely fed up with them ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Expecting "progress" in five weeks from a baby snake that's clearly very frightened is expecting too much. He's not a "jerk". He's scared. Move him into a smaller enclosure with hides that are small enough to help him feel snugly enclosed - there's nothing wasteful about spending a few dollars to ensure that a pet is provided with the best possible care. You can also add some crumpled up paper towels or spaghnum moss to his current hides if they are too big for him. Add clutter to his enclosure - fake vines are inexpensive at any hobby shop, or again, just add crumpled paper towels for him to feel hidden as he moves around.

Slow way down on handling. Instead, try taking the lid off of his enclosure and checking quickly under the hides to be sure he's OK, then simply sit near him/the enclosure for awhile every day before putting the lid back on. Let him get used to you doing a quick welfare check and learn that you are a non-invasive, non-scary presence. This requires patience, and could take weeks.

Work on dialing down your reaction to the possibility of being tagged. He's too small to hurt you. Wear a light glove to change his water if you still feel tense - because your own tension will result in the possibility of jerky movements that will add to his fear. Just take your time, give him an environment he feels safe in, and go slow and easy with him. He'll be OK, but he needs more than a few weeks.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Moose84 (11-05-2019),Zincubus (11-05-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12