Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,350

2 members and 3,348 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Space heater recommendations for snake room?

Hi! Due to getting more snakes and wanting to be able to keep humidity up better (get rid of CHE) I’m transforming a closet size space into a mini snake room. Looking for a great space heater to go in there which can keep the temps at a minimum of 75 degrees in there. Curious to see what other people use for this! And it would obviously need to be safe to leave on for 24/7 unsupervised and have a thermostat to make sure temps stay between 75-80 degrees.

Would love to hear what you guys are using for this !!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EmiLee For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-04-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It does not have to be expensive, however you do not want one that has a internal digital thermostat, you want something like this plugged to a RELIABLE thermostat that can handle at least 1500 watts

The reason I do not recommend using or buying one with an internal digital thermostat is that it will be the first thing going bad leaving the heat source wide open and your room temp could reach 100. (been there)
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

67temp (11-04-2019),Craiga 01453 (11-04-2019),jmcrook (11-04-2019),Toad37 (11-04-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Space heater recommendations for snake room?

Quote Originally Posted by EmiLee View Post
    Hi! Due to getting more snakes and wanting to be able to keep humidity up better (get rid of CHE) I’m transforming a closet size space into a mini snake room. Looking for a great space heater to go in there which can keep the temps at a minimum of 75 degrees in there. Curious to see what other people use for this! And it would obviously need to be safe to leave on for 24/7 unsupervised and have a thermostat to make sure temps stay between 75-80 degrees.

Would love to hear what you guys are using for this !!
    Perfect timing for this thread. I'm actually shopping for a new space heater for my snake room too. Thanks for starting the thread!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    It does not have to be expensive, however you do not want one that has a internal digital thermostat, you want something like this plugged to a RELIABLE thermostat that can handle at least 1500 watts

The reason I do not recommend using or buying one with an internal digital thermostat is that it will be the first thing going bad leaving the heat source wide open and your room temp could reach 100. (been there)
    I'm glad you mentioned this. My plan was to rely on the heaters tstat. I never would have thought of a space heater tstat failing wide open. But it makes perfect sense.

When running the heater through a thermostat is there somewhere specific you put the tstat probe? I would imagine since it's used for ambient temps it can go just about anywhere? Except obviously right in front of the heat source, of course.

Thanks, Deb!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    An oil filled heater is just about the safest an cheapest next to radiant heat panels (the best).
    The new style oil filled heaters have thermostats built in.

Panels here:

http://pro-products.com/pro-heat/

Banned
    Thanks
    Any pros and cons for combustion vs radiant space heaters?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Any pros and cons for combustion vs radiant space heaters?
    Oil filled heaters are the safest heaters you can run in your house and have the peace of mind even when gone for hours, I personally would not trust anything else.
    Deborah Stewart

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Oil filled heaters are the safest heaters you can run in your house and have the peace of mind even when gone for hours, I personally would not trust anything else.
    Thank you. I should have mentioned in my question I was referring to oil filled space heaters. Sorry bout that.

While shopping oil filled space heaters I noticed they have two heating methods. Radiant and combustion. Radiant apparently doesn't blow the heat around the room, it just creates the heat while the air in the room circulates it. Combustion oil heaters actually have a fan to spread the heat.
    I've been doing a little homework trying to decide if one is better than the other. I'm thinking in a small room (about 13x13) either would work fine. But thought I'd ask around as well.

Thanks all!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Thank you. I should have mentioned in my question I was referring to oil filled space heaters. Sorry bout that.

While shopping oil filled space heaters I noticed they have two heating methods. Radiant and combustion. Radiant apparently doesn't blow the heat around the room, it just creates the heat while the air in the room circulates it. Combustion oil heaters actually have a fan to spread the heat.
    I've been doing a little homework trying to decide if one is better than the other. I'm thinking in a small room (about 13x13) either would work fine. But thought I'd ask around as well.

Thanks all!
    I would stay away from anything that has parts that are doomed to failed due to prolonged used, so I would go with radiant which is what I have been using for 13 years from October to May 24/7 the current oil filled heater that I am running is 9 years old.
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-05-2019),jmcrook (11-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Agree with all Deb has already offered. I’ve also been using that same style oil radiator for ~9yrs, though not 24/7. It works absolutely wonderful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-05-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast